1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Anesthesia Programs with Global Health Focus

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by FutureProof, Aug 12, 2011.

1. FutureProof

Resident [Any Field]
    I was interested in applying to programs that have a global health focus or global health track or possible electives with established relationships in other countries.

Question:
    - Which programs have this in mind? Including lower tier programs
    - Is there a good website for anesthesiologists involved in global health?

Thank you kindly

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MTGas2B

MTGas2B Cloudy and 50
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My old program (University of Washington) had a young staff member working very hard to establish a global health focus option for my department. UW has a great global health department, making the marriage between Anesthesiology and global health will take some time. Not sure where things are at now. Worth inquiring about for a potential applicant.

wickedskillz likes this.
  4. imfrankie

imfrankie Anesthesiologist
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Stanford is developing one. Duke and Vandy have departments that do some global work. All a little fancy-boy for my taste, but the Canadian's have a gold standard one in Halifax--the real deal is Dalhousie. They also have a weeklong course that's offered once a year (another in Australia) you might want to check out to get a taste and make some connections.

Check out: http://nsanesthesia.ca/global-health/

5. imfrankie

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Also UCSF has this newish Master's-in-Public-Health analogue that's a Master's in Global Health or some-such. The woman starting up the Stanford anesthesia program in global health is doing the UCSF year now. I think you need to apply to the UCSF program pretty far in advance. But that's not global anesthesia per se. Check out the Dalhousie. Plus--super good, nice people. They even have a Global Anesthesia Fellowship there. Super folks.
    Good luck. Great work.

6. proman

proman Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

They've actually recruited a great guy from Duke (Tony Roche) so it looks like the global health bit is expanding at UW.

7. FutureProof

Resident [Any Field]
    thank you very much for all the insight !! much appreciated

8. MTGas2B

MTGas2B Cloudy and 50

Attending Physician
    Looks like the boss is recruiting old duke buddies.

9. proman

proman Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    She got another one too. A really great guy.

10. Tuohy

Tuohy Vigilante
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wonder why they are leaving Duke?

11. imfrankie

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The money at Duke sucks. Don't they have an SRNA program now also?

12. MTGas2B

MTGas2B Cloudy and 50

Attending Physician
    The current Chair at UW is from Duke. She knows her favorite rock stars from Duke, and knows how to make them the right offers to move to the west coast. Pretty typical thing when a new big wig comes to a program.

13. geogil

geogil Still training.
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I seem to remember from the interview trail that Dartmouth has some international rotations you can do, more than other programs if memory serves.

14. Mman

Mman Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

She's been at UW for several years, not really new. She's a rock star researcher, clinically not so much.

15. lushmd

lushmd Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    UPMC has a few international opportunities available during the CA-3 year (of note, all of these rotations are ACGME accredited so they don't entail use of vacation time):

(1) Medical mission trips: This year, there are residents going to Gautemala, Haiti, Vietnam, and a few other places I don't recall at the moment.

(2) Rotation in Palermo, Sicily: UPMC has a transplant hospital (ISMETT) in Palermo where you can go for two months and experience the "European model" of anesthesiology (integrated CCM, OR, pain management, etc...).

(3) Rotation in Dublin, Ireland: UPMC has a hospital in Dublin (Beacon). This rotation is presently being organized but should be up and running within the next year or so (well in time for your CA-3 year).

Personally, last year I went on a medical mission trip to Haiti and this year will be going to Palermo.

16. RT2MD

RT2MD Now searching for substance P
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This sounds awesome! Especially the parts that I bolded... :thumbup: Now if only I can convince my wife to let me go off on one of these rotations while she stays home with the three kids... :laugh:

Just curious on one thing, though... you said that these are available during your CA-3 year, but you went on two of them? How were you able to pull that off?

Thanks!

17. lushmd

lushmd Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    These are pretty awesome opportunities. Normally, interested CA-3 residents will choose between going on a mission trip or going to Palermo (as I mentioned above, in the future Dublin will also be an option). There was a unique opportunity last year (CA-2 year) for me to go on a one week long mission trip to Haiti; it was an amazing experience but the downside was that, since it wasn't ACGME accredited (there wasn't enough time to submit the paperwork, etc...), I used a week of vacation time (on the upside, the department covered my expenses). I'll be going to Palermo later this year (CA-3 year).

FYI (re wife and kids), in the past some residents have taken their spouses to Palermo (perhaps also kids, but I'm not sure about this) but I imagine that it would be pretty tough with three kids.