• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar
Aug 8, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was interested in applying to programs that have a global health focus or global health track or possible electives with established relationships in other countries.

Question:
- Which programs have this in mind? Including lower tier programs
- Is there a good website for anesthesiologists involved in global health?

Thank you kindly

MTGas2B

Cloudy and 50
15+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2004
upper left
Status
Attending Physician
I was interested in applying to programs that have a global health focus or global health track or possible electives with established relationships in other countries.

Question:

Thank you kindly
My old program (University of Washington) had a young staff member working very hard to establish a global health focus option for my department. UW has a great global health department, making the marriage between Anesthesiology and global health will take some time. Not sure where things are at now. Worth inquiring about for a potential applicant.

Reactions: wickedskillz

imfrankie

Anesthesiologist
7+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2011
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician

Question:

Thank you kindly
Stanford is developing one. Duke and Vandy have departments that do some global work. All a little fancy-boy for my taste, but the Canadian's have a gold standard one in Halifax--the real deal is Dalhousie. They also have a weeklong course that's offered once a year (another in Australia) you might want to check out to get a taste and make some connections.

Check out: http://nsanesthesia.ca/global-health/

About the Ads

imfrankie

Anesthesiologist
7+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2011
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician

Question:

Thank you kindly
Also UCSF has this newish Master's-in-Public-Health analogue that's a Master's in Global Health or some-such. The woman starting up the Stanford anesthesia program in global health is doing the UCSF year now. I think you need to apply to the UCSF program pretty far in advance. But that's not global anesthesia per se. Check out the Dalhousie. Plus--super good, nice people. They even have a Global Anesthesia Fellowship there. Super folks.
Good luck. Great work.

proman

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
My old program (University of Washington) had a young staff member working very hard to establish a global health focus option for my department. UW has a great global health department, making the marriage between Anesthesiology and global health will take some time. Not sure where things are at now. Worth inquiring about for a potential applicant.

They've actually recruited a great guy from Duke (Tony Roche) so it looks like the global health bit is expanding at UW.

MTGas2B

Cloudy and 50
15+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2004
upper left
Status
Attending Physician

MTGas2B

Cloudy and 50
15+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2004
upper left
Status
Attending Physician
The current Chair at UW is from Duke. She knows her favorite rock stars from Duke, and knows how to make them the right offers to move to the west coast. Pretty typical thing when a new big wig comes to a program.

geogil

Still training.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 1, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I seem to remember from the interview trail that Dartmouth has some international rotations you can do, more than other programs if memory serves.

Mman

15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
The current Chair at UW is from Duke. She knows her favorite rock stars from Duke, and knows how to make them the right offers to move to the west coast. Pretty typical thing when a new big wig comes to a program.

She's been at UW for several years, not really new. She's a rock star researcher, clinically not so much.

lushmd

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
UPMC has a few international opportunities available during the CA-3 year (of note, all of these rotations are ACGME accredited so they don't entail use of vacation time):

(1) Medical mission trips: This year, there are residents going to Gautemala, Haiti, Vietnam, and a few other places I don't recall at the moment.

(2) Rotation in Palermo, Sicily: UPMC has a transplant hospital (ISMETT) in Palermo where you can go for two months and experience the "European model" of anesthesiology (integrated CCM, OR, pain management, etc...).

(3) Rotation in Dublin, Ireland: UPMC has a hospital in Dublin (Beacon). This rotation is presently being organized but should be up and running within the next year or so (well in time for your CA-3 year).

Personally, last year I went on a medical mission trip to Haiti and this year will be going to Palermo.

RT2MD

Now searching for substance P
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
The Great White North
Status
Resident [Any Field]
UPMC has a few international opportunities available during the CA-3 year (of note, all of these rotations are ACGME accredited so they don't entail use of vacation time):

(1) Medical mission trips: This year, there are residents going to Gautemala, Haiti, Vietnam, and a few other places I don't recall at the moment.

(2) Rotation in Palermo, Sicily: UPMC has a transplant hospital (ISMETT) in Palermo where you can go for two months and experience the "European model" of anesthesiology (integrated CCM, OR, pain management, etc...).

(3) Rotation in Dublin, Ireland: UPMC has a hospital in Dublin (Beacon). This rotation is presently being organized but should be up and running within the next year or so (well in time for your CA-3 year).

Personally, last year I went on a medical mission trip to Haiti and this year will be going to Palermo.
This sounds awesome! Especially the parts that I bolded... :thumbup: Now if only I can convince my wife to let me go off on one of these rotations while she stays home with the three kids... :laugh:

Just curious on one thing, though... you said that these are available during your CA-3 year, but you went on two of them? How were you able to pull that off?

Thanks!

lushmd

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
This sounds awesome! Especially the parts that I bolded... :thumbup: Now if only I can convince my wife to let me go off on one of these rotations while she stays home with the three kids... :laugh:

Just curious on one thing, though... you said that these are available during your CA-3 year, but you went on two of them? How were you able to pull that off?

Thanks!
These are pretty awesome opportunities. Normally, interested CA-3 residents will choose between going on a mission trip or going to Palermo (as I mentioned above, in the future Dublin will also be an option). There was a unique opportunity last year (CA-2 year) for me to go on a one week long mission trip to Haiti; it was an amazing experience but the downside was that, since it wasn't ACGME accredited (there wasn't enough time to submit the paperwork, etc...), I used a week of vacation time (on the upside, the department covered my expenses). I'll be going to Palermo later this year (CA-3 year).

FYI (re wife and kids), in the past some residents have taken their spouses to Palermo (perhaps also kids, but I'm not sure about this) but I imagine that it would be pretty tough with three kids.

About the Ads