Anesthesia Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stookie

Slick Nasty
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it harder for a DO to get an allopathic anesthesia residency? How comptetive is that residency?

Members don't see this ad.

stookie said:
Is it harder for a DO to get an allopathic anesthesia residency? How comptetive is that residency?

DOs do well in anesthesia - other than primary care, it's the most DO-friendly. Of course, MDs don't have to worry about that at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
VentdependenT said:
Check out the anesthesiology forum.

I made it into a fine allo anes residency, so can you.

do all anesthesiologist work for a medical group?

seems as though anesthesia is taking a turn for the competitive side of the match, hence the next few years may prove more difficult for DOs to land a spot. disappointing, as i myself am interested in the field and attend an osteopathic school. . . .

stookie said:

Yes, it is harder. There are osteopathic anesthesia residencies, however.

As previous posters have said, it is easier to get into than many of the other specialties.

javandane said:
seems as though anesthesia is taking a turn for the competitive side of the match, hence the next few years may prove more difficult for DOs to land a spot. disappointing, as i myself am interested in the field and attend an osteopathic school. . . .

Its still WIDE OPEN. You may not get into DUKE or HARVARD but so what. There are tons of spots. Take the USMLE, some audition rotations, get a couple of letters, and boom, yer in.

I read on the anesthesia forum that anesthesiologist have the best lifestyle, and the specialty is great for those who like to spend time with their family. How many hours do one work per day/week? How many patients do you see in a day?

stookie said:
I read on the anesthesia forum that anesthesiologist have the best lifestyle, and the specialty is great for those who like to spend time with their family. How many hours do one work per day/week? How many patients do you see in a day?

I suggest looking at the FAQs on the anesthesia forum. These questions are answered there. Good luck to you!