• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

stookie

Slick Nasty
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Is it harder for a DO to get an allopathic anesthesia residency? How comptetive is that residency?

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
The Sea
Status (Visible)
stookie said:
Is it harder for a DO to get an allopathic anesthesia residency? How comptetive is that residency?

DOs do well in anesthesia - other than primary care, it's the most DO-friendly. Of course, MDs don't have to worry about that at all.

About the Ads

stookie

Slick Nasty
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
VentdependenT said:
Check out the anesthesiology forum.

I made it into a fine allo anes residency, so can you.

do all anesthesiologist work for a medical group?

javandane

He's so hot right now
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Status (Visible)
seems as though anesthesia is taking a turn for the competitive side of the match, hence the next few years may prove more difficult for DOs to land a spot. disappointing, as i myself am interested in the field and attend an osteopathic school. . . .

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
stookie said:

Yes, it is harder. There are osteopathic anesthesia residencies, however.

As previous posters have said, it is easier to get into than many of the other specialties.

VentdependenT

You didnt build thaT
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Louisville
www.somethingawful.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
javandane said:
seems as though anesthesia is taking a turn for the competitive side of the match, hence the next few years may prove more difficult for DOs to land a spot. disappointing, as i myself am interested in the field and attend an osteopathic school. . . .

Its still WIDE OPEN. You may not get into DUKE or HARVARD but so what. There are tons of spots. Take the USMLE, some audition rotations, get a couple of letters, and boom, yer in.

stookie

Slick Nasty
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I read on the anesthesia forum that anesthesiologist have the best lifestyle, and the specialty is great for those who like to spend time with their family. How many hours do one work per day/week? How many patients do you see in a day?

hermione

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2001
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
stookie said:
I read on the anesthesia forum that anesthesiologist have the best lifestyle, and the specialty is great for those who like to spend time with their family. How many hours do one work per day/week? How many patients do you see in a day?

I suggest looking at the FAQs on the anesthesia forum. These questions are answered there. Good luck to you!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.