Anesthesia Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeTheGipper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it varies from program to program, but I was wondering what the schedule was like for a resident in anesthesiology? I've seen a lot on other threads about medicine and surgery residencies and those seem to typically be a 5-6AM to 6-7PM day with a fair amount of call. Just wondering what it was like as an anesthesia resident.

Members don't see this ad.

Basically just like that. Day starts at 6am, sometimes earlier. Day ends typically around 5 or 6 in the OR, but then you have to do preops and call your attending, so it actually ends around 6 or so. Add in a night of two of call per week and there you have it.

Or, if you have a really busy OR, you can expect to stay until after 7:00 PM (sometimes even 8:00 PM) on occassion. Throw in call, and you've pretty much nailed it.

-copro

Members don't see this ad :)
For a hospital with 7:30-8am case starts, you are expected to see the patient typically starting at 7, which means your room should be set up before then. This means arriving between 6-6:30am.

Depending on the hospital, they typically have a time to get you out of the OR at the end of the day. Programs that mostly end around 3pm I think are rare and sometimes clinical experience somewhat weak (but if you have a family, ideal). Some programs get you out of the OR at 4pm to attend lecture, then do preops. Mine has a 5pm time (realistically means getting out of the hospital around 6 if you have inpatient preops). A few run as late as 7pm.

Thanks guys and gals. Do you guys have any idea what the hours and/or call schedule for attending anesthesiologists are? Again I'm sure it varies from place to place but I'm just curious.

Yikes, we have it better up here in Canada.

Longest days were on Cardiac where we did 2 hearts / day. Show up 6:45 am to see 1st patient if they were not in hospital early enough the night before. Patient in room 7:30. Once on pump go see 2nd patient. Generally done list 4pm and see next days patients at that time. Late day would be 7pm.

Average non-cardiac day is show up 7:15, non-late rooms finish 3:30-4. Late room runs to 6pm but generally you are relieved at 5pm or so by the on-call resident.

Call is maximum 6/28 days. Maximum 1 x 1:3 call. Maximum 2 weekend calls (weekend counts as Friday night, Saturday, or Sunday). Senior guys tend to make the call schedule so usually do 1 x Friday, 1 x Sunday. Post call day is off at 7am when day team arrives.

Salaries vary by province but range from $ 40 544 - $50,957 as an R1 to $57 252 - $70,896 as an R5 (Anesthesia residency is 5 years in Canada). http://www.carms.ca/eng/r1_program_salaries_e.shtml

Average income is around $350k in the poorer provinces to $500k+ in the richer provinces (Alberta) - yes that is straight FFS - no salary/partnership crap). That and we don't (mostly anyways) have uninsured patients so you get paid for every case you do, only a single payer in each province (easy billing - can do without billing agents), a single country wide malpractice company (no issues of moving to another province/tail coverage), free (well included in taxes) healthcare, a tax rate around 34% once you incorporate, and a dollar that is close to par with the US and a banking system that has some effective bloody regulation to avoid the crap that is killing our and the worlds economy (ahem, sorry about that but I'm a little pissed looking at my retirement savings lose all my gains over the last 5 fricken years while the bast ards responsible get a bloody bailout, keep their CEO bonuses and go on nice company retreats to plan on how to say they are sorry for the mess but can they have some more money).

All you have to do is put up with our winters.

CanGas

Holy s*it that sounds good!

And I'm from Upstate NY anyways, which is like Canada Lite. Plus you guys have good hockey and great beer...

I like the USA too much to move though...home is home.

dc

Yep, I'm happy here.

Anyone from USA interested in a residency in Canada would pretty much be limited to McGill. Most other universities will only take Cdn's. If you are done you really can't get into Canada because of the 5 year residency thing, the Royal College will not give you a license with a 4 year degree. If you have a fellowship which bumps you up to 5 years and have the core requirements it might be a possibility.

CanGas

I show up at 6:40, change, set up the room, see my Pt., in @ 0730

Usually relieved no later than 1600, see a couple pre-ops, typically home between 1700-1730.

Of course, when I start doing "real" cases, I guess I'll have to arrive by 0630.