Anesthesia Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shiv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!! I had a question, about as to whas the high end of salary for anesthesiologist and whas the starting salary? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In typical SDN fashion I'll do you the honors by saying:

"Do a search"

Salary ranges from 250k-325k+

shiv said:
Hey guys!! I had a question, about as to whas the high end of salary for anesthesiologist and whas the starting salary? thanks

So if I whas to tell you whas the salaries whas whas yous gonna dos fos mes?
J/K :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I am only a fouth year however this is a very impt quesiton to me... after doing much research... I have come to the following conclusion if you work full time you should earn no less then 200-225 at the least and prob between 350-400 if you work beyond a 40-50 hour week or in a remote location... fellowships are out the quest.. my cuz does cardiac in grand rapids mich and makes close to 550-600 a year (very unique are)... so the way I look at it is are content with 250-300 considering things may change... but thats the least i can accept even working more then avg... for you workin guys correct me if i am wrong???

powermd said:
Obligatory "don't do it for the money" post.

http://www.gaswork.com

Dryacku said:
I am only a fouth year however this is a very impt quesiton to me... after doing much research... I have come to the following conclusion if you work full time you should earn no less then 200-225 at the least and prob between 350-400 if you work beyond a 40-50 hour week or in a remote location... fellowships are out the quest.. my cuz does cardiac in grand rapids mich and makes close to 550-600 a year (very unique are)... so the way I look at it is are content with 250-300 considering things may change... but thats the least i can accept even working more then avg... for you workin guys correct me if i am wrong???

Pretty much right on.......I work in NJ and make around $375-400k per year depending.

It really depends if you are working as a partner. If you are...you can make above 400K. However, out of residency, 250-325K is more realistic depending on location and hours.

shiv said:

Out of curiousity, what year are you in? 2nd? 3rd?

just a few questions.. are you partner?
how many years are you out? and what is your schedule like?
any fellowship...
thanks

The_Sensei said:
Pretty much right on.......I work in NJ and make around $375-400k per year depending.

Dryacku said:
just a few questions.. are you partner?
how many years are you out? and what is your schedule like?
any fellowship...
thanks

I am partner and the chief of anesthesia.

Schedule is around 50 hours a week.

No fellowship - waste of my time.

DreamMachine said:
I make 39,416 dollars a year, I believe. I get a book allowance, some free lunches, and an OR locker.

Ha. You are a mere peasant, I make 45 large a year. Booya :smuggrin:

Laryngospasm said:
Ha. You are a mere peasant, I make 45 large a year. Booya :smuggrin:

43050 and my rent is 625/mo.

it just feels good to be getting a paycheck again after a 3 1/2 year hiatus without one.

DreamMachine said:
I can wait till I'm pulling that figure, Larnygospasm. What are you doing with all that extra loot?

We also get free parking and some pens.

I cant decide yet, Im either getting a Gulfstream 3, or a 4. But a 4 seems like id just be showing off. You know?

I just graduated from high school...and i was wondering if anesthesiologists were paid a monthly salary or what?

Laryngospasm said:
I cant decide yet, Im either getting a Gulfstream 3, or a 4. But a 4 seems like id just be showing off. You know?
dude did you hear about this new type of single engined plane that's out there. apparently the actual plane itself has a parachute!!!

Stupid Q- I don't understand this whole "partnership" thing. So after 1-2 years of working for the group, you obtain "partnership" status. Hell, aren't all the anesthesiolgists "partners" given they've been in practice for more than 1-2 years? Why does your income increase as a partner?

wrx said:
Stupid Q- I don't understand this whole "partnership" thing. So after 1-2 years of working for the group, you obtain "partnership" status. Hell, aren't all the anesthesiolgists "partners" given they've been in practice for more than 1-2 years? Why does your income increase as a partner?

Because you are a "partner" in the business, not an employee. As a Partner there are various benefits, not limited to profit sharing on a equal basis with other partners. You are also usually harder to fire or let go.

SleepIsGood said:
dude did you hear about this new type of single engined plane that's out there. apparently the actual plane itself has a parachute!!!

You are probably talking about the Cirrus SR20 or SR22: http://www.cirrusdesign.com/aircraft/safety/index.html It has a parachute rescue system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrus_Aircraft_Parachute_System) and also features state of the art, glass cockpit-avionics: http://www.cirrusdesign.com/aircraft/avionics/

Nonetheless, the use of the parachute is quite controversial