Anesthesia Sub-I Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyGenome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I will be applying this year and am wondering if I did not get to schedule by anesthesia sub-I for the beginning of the year, before applications, will it hurt me to do the Sub-I after applications are already due? I only have a medicine SubI scheduled before the application due date. Can I update schools with my evaluations or LOR in November?

Also, how many anesthesia letters are recommended, and when is the latest they can be sent in?

Members don't see this ad.

The earlier the better--beg/trade with people if you can or try to do an away somewhere. November is very late given the new deadlines--most interviews were handed out by that time last year.

1 Anesthesia letter is a must, more if strong but not required. Not having that letter might arrest your app at quite a few places which could be a problem. Good luck.

November is too late. Schools receive the MSPEs (medical student performance evaluation, otherwise known as your deans letter) on October 1st, interviews for me came in bundles: the first two weeks where programs just base it on your score (they didn't read everyone's application and statement in two weeks), then in October after the MSPE arrive, then in January when people started to drop their interviews because they felt they had enough (I contacted programs in January, it only fetched two invites but I was glad I did). By the end of October you will have 80-90% of the interviews you will get, the schools will have filled up most of their schedule, if the sub-I is to audition for a school where you may not be as competitive the best time is september, but doing it anytime before interviews is good because it shows interest which programs like.