Anesthesia WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fresnomike

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, current MS3 near the end of my rotations and wanted to know if I should even bother considering anesthesia with the following:

Medical School: Mid tier US MD
USMLE Step 1: 212 :(
USMLE Step 2: ~230 (estimating conservatively, if you correlate same %ile as Step 1, hopefully it's better)
Class rank: 50th percentile
Pre-clinicals: 2 H's, rest Pass (H/P/F system)
Clerkship grades: All Pass (H/P/F system)
Research: 4 pubs
Good EC's, LORs, volunteering/leadership etc

Applying broadly, is anesthesia still attainable? If so, how many programs would you all recommend I apply to? I was considering any program in the southern/southeast areas.

Yes, apply t0 20-25 programs. 1/2 should be mid-tier and the other half lower tier. If you get interviews at most of your mid-tier programs then a match at a good program is highly likely.

Here a few:

1. Emory
2. MUSC
3. UNC
4. Miami FL
5. Arkansas
6. Tennessee
7. Mayo Jax
8. Cleveland Clinic Weston
9. Augusta
10. UF-Jax

I'm willing to bet you would match at one of those programs, if not several, without much difficulty. Again, you should add another 10-15 programs to the list, all mid tier and lower tier, but focus on interviewing at mostly mid tier programs.

Cleveland Clinic Florida | Highest Ranked Hospital in Broward County

https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/fl/mayo-clinic-6390380

Don't forget the brand new programs:

Current Residents

https://www.msmc.com/education/anesthesiology

Anesthesiology Residency Programs | Residency Navigator

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, current MS3 near the end of my rotations and wanted to know if I should even bother considering anesthesia with the following:

USMLE Step 2: ~230 (estimating conservatively, if you correlate same %ile as Step 1, hopefully it's better)

Applying broadly, is anesthesia still attainable? If so, how many programs would you all recommend I apply to? I was considering any program in the southern/southeast areas.

Wow, you are me 15 years ago.

Agree with blade, interview well and you’ll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)

Nice! 4 publications. You will match for sure

Growing | Cleveland Clinic Florida

Facts and Figures About the Expansion
  • New 180,000 square foot multi-level hospital tower designed to accommodate surgical cases from medical specialty areas and Broward County’s largest transplant program
  • Weston Campus adds 75 more hospital beds, three additional operating suites, critical care areas and 25% more emergency room capacity to better serve our patients
  • Main Campus adds a new Women’s Center and larger cafeteria; expansion of imaging and laboratory facilities, renovation of common areas and additional parking are planned as well
  • Coral Springs planning a new family health and ambulatory surgery center

The Step score will keep you out of most “brand name” programs. If I were you, I’d study for Step 2 in the spring and take it early summer - you need an improvement to help your chances here at mid-tiers.

The academic production will help, for sure. Do you have a home program? Work them hard, even if it’s not in your desired area to be honest as you don’t have a ton of wiggle room.

Blade gave you some starting points that i largely agree with, but i think the bigger names like Miami, UNC and MUSC May filter you out - think of these more as “reaches.” Kendall Regional I believe has a new program in South Florida to target. UCF in Orlando is itching to start/sponsor a program together with a few HCA hospitals in the next few years based out of some combination of Gainesville/Ocala/Orlando which should be on your radar.

Yes, apply t0 20-25 programs. 1/2 should be mid-tier and the other half lower tier. If you get interviews at most of your mid-tier programs then a match at a good program is highly likely.

Here a few:

1. Emory
2. MUSC
3. UNC
4. Miami FL
5. Arkansas
6. Tennessee
7. Mayo Jax
8. Cleveland Clinic Weston
9. Augusta
10. UF-Jax

I'm willing to bet you would match at one of those programs, if not several, without much difficulty. Again, you should add another 10-15 programs to the list, all mid tier and lower tier, but focus on interviewing at mostly mid tier programs.

Cleveland Clinic Florida | Highest Ranked Hospital in Broward County

https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/fl/mayo-clinic-6390380

Don't forget the brand new programs:

Current Residents

https://www.msmc.com/education/anesthesiology

Anesthesiology Residency Programs | Residency Navigator

i'm an aussie and can't comment on the content, but that's a hell of an effort to go to in order to help a hopeful applicant.
:bow:

i'm an aussie and can't comment on the content, but that's a hell of an effort to go to in order to help a hopeful applicant.
:bow:

I figure there could be a few dozen other med students out there in the same situation. The OP should focus on Mayo-Jax, Cleveland-Weston, and UF-Jax as his application lines up well for those programs.

A few others include Augusta, Tennessee, Arkansas and Kendall Regional. I'll leave LSU-Shreveport out of the mix for now.;)

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure why you keep mentioning UF-Jax Blade, that's a low-teir program, especially when compared to Mayo-Jax.

Agreed, for this applicant’s stats it’s a more reasonable option though. On the positive, UF-Jax is a known entity having been around > 7-8 years unlike the brand new South Florida programs mentioned. Mayo Jax would be a stretch (established, small and good rep).

Not sure why you keep mentioning UF-Jax Blade, that's a low-teir program, especially when compared to Mayo-Jax.

Q: What is the minimum USMLE Step 1 score that I need to be considered?
A: For successful applicants, our low end average USMLE Step 1 score is a 220. Although there is no defined cut-off for performance on USMLE 1, a higher score will certainly make a candidate more competetive.

Frequently Asked Questions

I suspect that 220 cut-off is for UF-Gainesville and not UF-Jacksonville.

Anesthesiology (Importance of USMLE)

Your USMLE Step 1 exam score is a major factor used by anesthesiology residency programs in the selection process. "Although we consider each application in its entirety, USMLE scores are often one of the earliest components of your application that we receive," writes the Mayo Clinic Department of Anesthesiology.

In 2016, 15% of U.S. medical school seniors with USMLE Step 1 scores of less than 210 failed to match. Applicants with lower USMLE scores need to strengthen their credentials in as many areas as possible, and work closely with an advisor to develop a strategy for match success.

The Successful Match

@BLADEMDA and all. NRMP data shows 56/62 matched with scores b/w 200-210, while 134/138 matched with scores b/w 211-220. However, like posted above, many programs have a 220 cutoff which is what worries me. Besides a few in Florida, I don't see too many new/clearly lower tier programs across the South (as most programs are larger and affiliated with universities). I don't want to make the mistake of applying to 30-40+ programs that I considered mid-tier just to end up being screened out from them, or waste money applying to them. I agree w/ the post mentioning that it may be difficult to match to a "big name" program, however I'm having trouble finding a large enough program pool to apply to that is not "big name"/associated with a university.[/QUOTE]

Ask the programs directly if they have a cutoff before you apply.

Appreciate all the recommendations @BLADEMDA and all. NRMP data shows 56/62 matched with scores b/w 200-210, while 134/138 matched with scores b/w 211-220. However, like posted above, many programs have a 220 cutoff which is what worries me. Besides a few in Florida, I don't see too many new/clearly lower tier programs across the South (as most programs are larger and affiliated with universities). I don't want to make the mistake of applying to 30-40+ programs that I considered mid-tier just to end up being screened out from them, or waste money applying to them. I agree w/ the post mentioning that it may be difficult to match to a "big name" program, however I'm having trouble finding a large enough program pool to apply to that is not "big name"/associated with a university.

I think if you apply "smart" a match is highly likely. That means 1/2 mid tier and 1/2 lower tier for a total of 25 programs.

Not to high jack this thread, but with a step 1 218, step 2 not yet taken (expecting 240+), would these same programs apply given my low step 1?