Anesthesiologist Technician(S)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudenttt1997

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if becoming an anesthesiologist technician help with being an anesthesiologist?
Because I know that it's two years of an accredited college but I'm attending a four year university and I plan on going to medical school. They make pretty decent money and I'm willing to put the work because some people have said that you'll get clinical/first hand experience but again, they aren't anesthesiologist lol. Would it be worth it if I want to be an actual anesthesiologist? Would it help in medical school or look good on my transcripts? Thank you so much for your time!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I was wondering if becoming an anesthesiologist technician help with being an anesthesiologist?
Because I know that it's two years of an accredited college but I'm attending a four year university and I plan on going to medical school. They make pretty decent money and I'm willing to put the work because some people have said that you'll get clinical/first hand experience but again, they aren't anesthesiologist lol. Would it be worth it if I want to be an actual anesthesiologist? Would it help in medical school or look good on my transcripts? Thank you so much for your time!!
No.

Don't pay money for a terminal degree just to help you get a $300K degree. There are plenty of other ways to get clinical experience. Unless the program is cheap and would allow you to complete all the pre-reqs for med school

(And how much help do anesthesiologists need? They have CRNAs, anesthesiology techs, and anesthesiology assistants?)

Reactions: 1 user
No.

Don't pay money for a terminal degree just to help you get a $300K degree. There are plenty of other ways to get clinical experience. Unless the program is cheap and would allow you to complete all the pre-reqs for med school
I agree; I wouldn't bother going through all that education for a job that's temporary.
(And how much help do anesthesiologists need? They have CRNAs, anesthesiology techs, and anesthesiology assistants?)
CRNAs and AAs are both anesthesia providers. CRNAs are nurses who have undergone extra training and can practice in most states, whereas I think AAs can only practice in a few states and are essentially the equivalent of PAs, but specific to anesthesia. Anesthesia techs are entirely different; they prepare medication and supplies for anesthesiologists. They're nice to have, particularly now that anesthesiologists are often busy doing their own procedures like administering blocks between surgeries. They're usually employed by hospitals; surgical centers usually don't want to pay an extra person for this role.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I also do not think it is worth it, nor will it really help you secure a position in medical school or anesthesiology to a significant extent.

Hi,
No.
The only way it could help your application is that it is clinical experience and a job.