Advice on Schooling for an Anesthesiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveForMedSchool

Reaction score
Good Evening all,
I am an aspiring Anesthesiologist, and am having some trouble with figuring out school. I was just advised I do not need a nursing degree to get into Medical school and can get my bachelors degree in anything. I would love some feedback on what you got your degree in or any advice for starting this journey.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

How in the world are you an aspiring anesthesiologist if you haven’t even entered medical school? Lol, you guys sure start early these days.

To answer the question, yes, it can be anything. Most people do biology or biochemistry and that kind of thing, since it encapsulates the pre-reqs well and gives a basic science background for the disciplines you learn in med school (pharm, path, physio, etc). Really it should be something that allows you to get a high GPA as well as enjoy in the event you don’t get accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
How in the world are you an aspiring anesthesiologist if you haven’t even entered medical school? Lol, you guys sure start early these days.

To answer the question, yes, it can be anything. Most people do biology or biochemistry and that kind of thing, since it encapsulates the pre-reqs well and gives a basic science background for the disciplines you learn in med school (pharm, path, physio, etc). Really it should be something that allows you to get a high GPA as well as enjoy in the event you don’t get accepted.
Thank you! Also, I’m currently a college student and always wanted to be an Anesthesiologist, just curious what people would consider good bachelors degree’s to consider.

Members don't see this ad :)
Major in anything you want as long as you can get great grades. You might have a Nike swoop with a gpa that goes down second year and then up from there so don't be discouraged if that happens but work toward doing the best you can.

Many people choose biology, neuroscience, chemistry, biochemistry because so many of the required courses are med school pre-requisites but you can major in anything and do the pre-requisties along side. Steer away from training in another profession (nursing, medical technology ,social work etc) as you are taking a seat from someone who wants to practice that profession.

Medical school will be four years including 2 years of mostly classroom/lab work followed by two years of mostly clinical training. It won't be until this time during 4th year that you declare your interest in anesthesiology and try to match into a residency training program in that specialaty. I'm just saying this so you know that medical education works that way.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Major in anything you want as long as you can get great grades. You might have a Nike swoop with a gpa that goes down second year and then up from there so don't be discouraged if that happens but work toward doing the best you can.

Many people choose biology, neuroscience, chemistry, biochemistry because so many of the required courses are med school pre-requisites but you can major in anything and do the pre-requisties along side. Steer away from training in another profession (nursing, medical technology ,social work etc) as you are taking a seat from someone who wants to practice that profession.

Medical school will be four years including 2 years of mostly classroom/lab work followed by two years of mostly clinical training. It won't be until this time during 4th year that you declare your interest in anesthesiology and try to match into a residency training program in that specialaty. I'm just saying this so you know that medical education works that way.
Thank you so much!! This was so so so helpful.

I personally majored in the humanities/foreign language. I knew I would be pursuing medicine so I juggled science pre-reqs while still enjoying subjects I was passionate about. It opened a lot of doors for me and rounded out my application in many ways.

Majoring in the sciences has a ton of benefits, though. Pre-reqs lining up with major requirements, increased retention on science topics for MCAT/medical school, etc. Choose something you won't absolutely dread for four years!

Good Evening all,
I am an aspiring Anesthesiologist, and am having some trouble with figuring out school. I was just advised I do not need a nursing degree to get into Medical school and can get my bachelors degree in anything. I would love some feedback on what you got your degree in or any advice for starting this journey.
Thank you!

Why anesthesiology, if I may ask?

Why anesthesiology, if I may ask?
I do want to work in a hospital, and I like the OR, but do not want to be a surgeon. I also like the aspects of being able to help/comfort people. I am aware from talking to people whom have gone through Med School that I may decide I do not like it or may change what I wanna do once I’m in Med School. I have just always really loved the aspect of Anesthesiology.

When you consider anesthesiology, its basically critical care . Lots of cardiology, pulmonary, and pharmacology. Plus the plethora of nerve blocks for pain control, using echo for intraoperative heart monitoring, OB, etc. It can be a diverse practice where you do a little of everything, or subspecialized like cardiac, OB, Pain management, Critical Care, etc. You need a pretty good backround in anatomy and chemistry. Vapor pressures, ideal gas law, solubility coefficients, etc. Obviously, anatomy for nerve blocks and knowing what the surgeon is doing. Hope this adds some insight. Best to concentrate on getting into med school first. Many, most, change their minds in med school. Good luck and best wishes!

I'm pretty sure you shouldn't commit your mind to any speciality until you do your rotations and see exactly what each field requires of you.
Maybe you'll like something else later on and then feel like you're giving up your dream if you change your mind. Most wise to stay open to all the possibilities that medicine offers.

Good Evening all,
Thank you!
Do well in college. Major in whatever interests you. Then come back when you're a JR or SR and we can advise on getting into medical school.

Reactions: 1 users