Anesthesiologist vs surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tee Cell

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am an entering anesthesiology resident to start in 2008. I love the profession but was always concerned with the perception of anesthesiologist being subservient to surgeons.
:beat:

I am really interested to hear from attending and those in private practice as to their thoughts on this.

This was a big factor to overcome in my decision to enter the field. But would be educational for me and those interested in the field to know.

Is this the case across the board in residency and practice?

Members don't see this ad.

This was a pretty big deal for me, as well, and I actually applied to both anesthesiology and surgery (well, ENT) concurrently. I ultimately decided that I wanted more medicine/critical care than ENT offered and dropped out of the early match. When I first started, I was pretty sensitive to any little perceived slight or whatever from across the drapes. As time went on (I'm a CA2 now), I've either become less sensitive to it, or maybe I'm just better, or whatever, but I've actually had a couple really reassuring comments from surgeons (attendings and residents) about how they view my work.

In any case, as an anesthesiologist, you're always going to have to raise the table when the surgeon asks you, and your decisions about how to anesthetize the patient will probably be somewhat dependent upon what the surgeon wants, and you'll probably always feel some pressure from the surgeons to get cases done faster, or to anethetize patients you might feel are marginal or whatever. I'll bet some of the attendings on here could give a more accurate picture than I just did.

Is this subservience? Maybe a little. I guess you either come to terms with it, and accept it in return for some of the bonuses of our field (no dictating, finite responsibility/hours, predictability of hours, and the other things that you intrinsically like about providing anesthesia), or let it eat away at you. (or go into something else).

Hello all, I am an entering anesthesiology resident to start in 2008. I love the profession but was always concerned with the perception of anesthesiologist being subservient to surgeons.
:beat:

I am really interested to hear from attending and those in private practice as to their thoughts on this.

This was a big factor to overcome in my decision to enter the field. But would be educational for me and those interested in the field to know.

Is this the case across the board in residency and practice?

Anesthesia is a service industry. You are expected to bring the same service to ASAI-ASAIV. ASA class V as well but the surgeons know to leave you the F alone during these cases. You are supposed to get cases going safely and efficently without bitching. The challenge is weighing the urgency of the case, the desires of the surgeon, and the safety of the patient, all under the constraint of time. Good anesthesiologists don't get pushed around. They DEAL. They COPE. They don't throw hissy fits or flip out.

Look man, you are gonna have to keep your mouth shut from time to time. Arguing will get you nowhere. Just drop a couple of smart ass comments if need be and let it roll off. Remember, you don't have to round on the patient, or wake up in bed with the surgeon. When the last case is done, or you get relieved, you are GONE. You get to leave histrionic passive-agressive people and all their crap at the hospital. I KNOW you're going to have to work with some surgeons who will drive you nuts. Too bad. If it comprimizes patient safety, that is a totally different story. Then take em down in a non condescending manner.

I don't view us as subservient. We are the movers of the OR. If a surgeon has a request, try and accomidate. Does that mean you are a slave? I don't know. I don't care! I get my job done and I dig what I'm doing. If you have a big ego then DO NOT ENTER THIS FIELD. You're going to find yourself bitching. You will have to be proud of yourself for the work done. Your partners will expect you to get stuff done safely but without minimal hastling of others/carrying on. The reward is KA-CHING$$$$$. Not a friggen Hi-Five from your sycophantic Surgicagl-PA and Scrub Tech.

Of note. The newer breed of surgeons graduating are much more approachable and are generally "cool." I get along with almost every surgical service here save for Ortho/Spine. Something about orthopods just makes me feel nauseated.

Vent

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a big ego then DO NOT ENTER THIS FIELD.

:thumbup:

Each time someone jokes with me about being subservient to the surgeon, I realize their personal motivation for entering medicine is some vague feeling of having power over others. I agree with everything Vent said above, but I don't think anesthesiologists are the only ones that should act as though they are in the service industry. The best doctors I have seen, in any field, treat their patients as such.

For the most part, however, the interactions I have seen in private v. academic practice are quite different. There is a much greater drive in PP for efficiency, on the surgeon AND the anesthesiologist's part. That means teamwork. That means you (the surgeon) don't treat the gas pusher like sh&t because YOU had a bad morning, because you know it will bite you in the butt when he decides to take a little lunch break before the next case, or spend a few extra minutes in PACU.

If you have a big ego then DO NOT ENTER THIS FIELD.

You get the respect you command. People who routinely parade their egos, whomever they are, are rarely respected... even the best surgeon with the greatest hands. Ever hear what they say about that guy around the nurses station? And, fear is not respect. They are very different things.

-copro