Anesthesiologist's Assistant ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amatt1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with AA's? I'm researching this profession as a career possibility. However, I've found a wide range of average starting salaries 60-115,000. That's a wide range (to me). The only two programs that I'm aware of at this time are Emory and Case Western. As I understand it, these programs are very competitive in terms of acceptance. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

yes, there are currently only 2 programs however that will change soon as legislation passed by the senate this week extends aa practice area from 15 to 50 states. aa's are trained in a program similar to a crna program and when used at the same facilities crna's and aa's have the same scope of practice and salary except that crna's can work independently in around 13 states while aa's always have to have a supervising anesthesiologist in the hospital(not the o.r.) for back up.
Senate passes bill to allow assistants to give anesthesia
By Jim Ash, Palm Beach Post Capital Bureau
Thursday, March 25, 2004

TALLAHASSEE -- The Senate voted Wednesday to create a new national category of health care provider -- anesthesiology assistant -- despite opponents who claim it will put patients at greater risk.

Supporters of the measure (SB 626) contend it will drive down health care costs by allowing anesthesiologists to rely on highly trained but less expensive assistants.

"Members, we have to get a grasp on health care costs in this state," said the bill's sponsor, Sen. Mike Fasano, R-New Port Richey.

Critics warn that anesthesiology assistants, who require the equivalent of a master's degree and two years of specialty training, aren't qualified to deal with potential problems that could arise during surgery. They also complained that the bill required a supervising anesthesiologist only to be in the same hospital during surgical procedures, not in the same operating room.

In a compromise, sponsors agreed Wednesday to require "on-site, personal supervision" by an anesthesiologist who is present in the office or in the surgical suite when the procedure is being performed "and who is in all circumstances immediately available."

Opposition to the House version of the bill landed Rep. Susan Bucher, D-Royal Palm Beach, in hot water with Republican leaders last week when she accused sponsors of being motivated by campaign contributions. The House Rules Committee is investigating the comments as well as complaints from the Department of Children and Families staff members and other legislators who have accused Bucher of being abusive.

Bucher said the changes make the bill better, but she still opposes it.

"I'm glad they did that," she said, "but I still don't know who's going to enforce this. I cannot support this bill."

Anesthesiologists and the Florida Medical Association support the bill. Supporters say a handful of other states license anesthesiology assistants without safety problems.

Critics say they doubt any savings will be realized.

emedpa said:
In a compromise, sponsors agreed Wednesday to require "on-site, personal supervision" by an anesthesiologist who is present in the office or in the surgical suite when the procedure is being performed "and who is in all circumstances immediately available."

How long before AAs start trying to change the rules, saying they dont need supervision? I give it 2 years, maximum. They are going to point to the CRNAs and say "we are just as good as them."

what a bunch of hypocrites

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, emedpa for the information. But to the following response,,,,why is it that when the term AA is brought up, there is so much contention. Maybe I got lost somewhere wondering around this website, but at last I checked, this was a PA forum. Any way you look at it, an AA is essentially a PA specializing or at least limited to the practice of anesthesiology. This argument that you are fueling is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. You don't normally see the picket lines forming in front of your local clinic staffed by physician "assistants." If a PA or AA were trying to "be" a physician, that opportunity exists with the proper sacrifices. To the best of my knowledge, the vast majority or PA's and AA's alike are offering a much needed and welcomed service to the healthcare arena. There are obvious reasons for CRNA's to attempt to limit the practice of AA's (job security, money, etc.) However, I am confused by the usage of such passionate words as hypocrite. Furthermore, I've found a great dislike for this forum and the immature posts that camouflage those truly interested in the physician assistant field. There seems to be a lot of needless "stepping-on-toes" here. I am a traditional pre-med accepted to two different medical schools in the southeast. For my own reasons, I am researching the AA profession and considering attending the Emory program (I have already been accepted for this coming year). So, with all of that being said,,,,if you have any relevant info on the status of legislature, salary, job outlook, etc. I'd appreciate any help. If your looking for somewhere to vent, (MacGyver), find someone who gives a sh#$. I'm sure you'll have plenty of years to surf this website until you learn how to respect others. In other words, I wasn't asking for your oppinion on the hidden agenda of AA's, just general work environment and salary info.

My apologies, Amatt. Unfortunately, MacGuyver is an unpleasant and persistent malignancy on this forum, full of cynacism and spite. May I suggest adding him to your ignore list to avoid his.........how should I say..... less than pleasant posts?