Anesthesiology Boom - How long will it last?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morrisje

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably one of those questions that you get all the time, but I'm new at this so here goes...

Right now there seems to be a lot of jobs available in anesthesiology and the pay is reasonably good, from what I gather. Maybe some of you more knowlegible types could enlighten me as to how long this is expected to last. (I'm an MSII interesteed and wondering if the good times will last at least until I get a job).

Anyway, any info would be good. Or just ramble on about whatever else is on your mind.

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully it will last as long as and until MDAs completely regain full and rightful domain over the field. Until then, I hope they open up about 200 more nurse anesthetist programs and flood the CRNA field with about 6500-7000 graduates per year.

[Skip runs to don flame-******ant gear...]

-Skip

I just read in the ASA newsletter that came yesterday that there is expected to be a deficit of at least 6000 anesthesiologists until 2008. In other words, things look pretty darn good. I recommend going to your med school's library and looking in current Anesthesiology journals. Go to the jobs section and just see what's out there. Now money is no reason to enter the field, but most of these positions are offering much more than just reasonably good pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
everybody needs to stop basing their career choice based on future market conditions - because for the most part (based on historical evidence) most specialties have ridiculous ups and downs... If you had told a general surgery resident not to go into CT surgery (in the 1980-90s) because in 2005 there would only be 6 (SIX) private practice jobs available in the ENTIRE country, he/she would never have believed you!!!!

Things change for every field ... FPs are losing ground to NPs/PAs, CT surgery is losing ground to intervent. cards - whereas some fields like Rad Onc look SUPER-HOT right now...

Do what you enjoy! and if you are good at what you do, you will establish a name for yourself, you will be in more demand and you will have a guaranteed job and make tons of money...

Unless we vote in a democratic congress/president in the next 10-20 years - because then medicine will be screwed - and we will all be making as much as our european counterparts (60-90k/year) and paying 50% in tax. Did you know that in Denmark there is a 100% luxury tax on luxury cars (BMW, etc..)

Wondering if you could say something else about the democratic congress/president thing? Other than salary, which you've covered, what kind of roll would that play in medicine, exactly (medical education, scope of practice, job security)? If you know of some literature or articles that touch on the subject I'd love to read.

Both medical and nursing professions predict anesthesia shortages despite any increase in numbers of MDA's or CRNA's. The AANA is a very smart governing body. CRNA's would not be where they are right now without it. When supply and demand begins to even out the AANA will cut enrollments in current programs and not accredit future ones. You are fooled if you think that CRNA's will ultimately implode from within. With the U.S expected to grow more than 30% in the next 50yrs I anticipate both MDA's and CRNA's will have plenty of business and will continue to coexist working together to adim. safe anesthesia.

Anesthesiologist's compensation is tied directly with the Realestate boom

When the RE BOOM ends compensation will decrease.

InGasWeTrust said:
Anesthesiologist's compensation is tied directly with the Realestate boom

When the RE BOOM ends compensation will decrease.

Are you joking? If not, explain how?

reimbursement is mainly by medicare and by insurance.... how is there a link between the two??? and by the way when real estate was cheap in late eighties early nineties anesthesiologists were making way more!!!