anesthesiology for FMGs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vipergts66

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how hard is it for a grad from a carribean medical school, such as ross, to get a decent anesthesio residency?

Members don't see this ad.

vipergts66 said:
how hard is it for a grad from a carribean medical school, such as ross, to get a decent anesthesio residency?

Check out the FAQ's. Also, if you look into my past posts, you'll find a link to the asa's breakdown of the number of independent vs USMD applicants getting a spot in anes. G/L.

vipergts66 said:

Also, look at the Ross website, there are about 17 or 18 people that matched into some pretty good programs last year and a steady 3-4 in years before. Also, look at the other caribbean school websites to get an idea. The most important things in our applications as IMGs, at least for getting an interview are step grades, LORs, and clinical grades, especially anesthesia grades. This, of course is my humble opinion. Bottom line is that it is very possible, just a little tougher than years past. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
lvspro said:
Check out the FAQ's. Also, if you look into my past posts, you'll find a link to the asa's breakdown of the number of independent vs USMD applicants getting a spot in anes. G/L.

Dr. Alan Grogono (former anesthesia chair at Tulane) analyzed the annual match numbers in-depth for ASA, and it usually appeared in the late spring ASA newsletter. I don't know if he's a Katrina evacuee from New Orleans and if this work will be interrupted this year. JPP might ?????

trinityalumnus said:
Dr. Alan Grogono (former anesthesia chair at Tulane) analyzed the annual match numbers in-depth for ASA, and it usually appeared in the late spring ASA newsletter. I don't know if he's a Katrina evacuee from New Orleans and if this work will be interrupted this year. JPP might ?????

The numbers are out.

New guideline rules dont allow the breakdown of US vs FMGs anymore.

:confused:

I agree w/ Lvspro & Drivera. That being said, I feel the single most important component are Step scores. Shoot for atleast a 90. Such a score should get you a handful of interviews.

This year seems much more competitive/difficult for FMG/IMG's landing interviews, but with good scores, you'll definitely get some invites. Without the scores, you'll be hard pressed to get interviews, even if the rest of your application is strong. So study hard for your Steps and good luck!