Anesthesiology subspecialty pay??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Anonymouss

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, looking for more information regarding average salary for anesthesiologists by subspecialty. I am more so talking about pain medicine and anesthesiologists with fellowship training. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm fellowship trained in peds anesthesia and get exactly the same as the non-fellowship trained generalists where I work. It's a mixed bag whether you're paid more or not.

Pain is its own world and varies widely.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm fellowship trained in peds anesthesia and get exactly the same as the non-fellowship trained generalists where I work. It's a mixed bag whether you're paid more or not.

Pain is its own world and varies widely.
Thanks for the clarification! I was always wondering if fellowship trained was paid differently than generalists.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pain medicine has different job set ups as you could start your own practice, join another private practice, or obtain a hospital employed position.

Generally from what I've seen is that hospital employed will give you a contract for at least the current going rate for anesthesia in my area. Joining a private group is very variable with partnership tracks etc.

Pain has a higher ceiling overall though which is why you see some people taking advantage and then ending up in jail.

Reactions: 7 users
I make a significant amount more than my generalist colleagues but I also take about twice as much call (ICU, cardiac)

Reactions: 2 users
I'm in pain and I make significantly less, 100K+ less, than my anesthesia counterparts; but i work no weekends or nights; but i deal with pain pts and mot stop office notes and telephone calls; who knows if ill make more in the future

Reactions: 4 users
I'm in pain and I make significantly less, 100K+ less, than my anesthesia counterparts; but i work no weekends or nights; but i deal with pain pts and mot stop office notes and telephone calls; who knows if ill make more in the future
Thanks for the insight. I was always under the impression pain med docs had much higher salaries than general anesthesiologists. I just heard of one the other day who is at 1.3M a year, but I imagine he has his own private practice.

In general, your compensation has much more to do with geography and practice type than the fellowship you do (or don't do).

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the insight. I was always under the impression pain med docs had much higher salaries than general anesthesiologists. I just heard of one the other day who is at 1.3M a year, but I imagine he has his own private practice.
you have to be ok with prescribing ALOT of opioids

How about CCM?
In my experience, which spans a couple academic centers and a VA, if anything, CCM makes less because the pay is the same as everyone else's and the hours are more. The way to think about it is where the money is coming from. In a typical ICU, maybe you see 10-15 patients per day and write a note that gets coded for usually 30-74 minutes of E/M critical care time. How does that compare with a full day in the OR billing units on 4 medically directed rooms? Not favorably, unless you're (unnecessarily) bronching, lining, swanning all those patients. Whether you're salaried or eat what you kill, the math is the same; someone, somewhere must be billing and collecting for what you're doing, so what you're paid is ultimately some reflection on how much money your activity brings in. Procedures always bring in more money than thinking.

Has COVID increased CCM compensation and also increased the number of hourly CCM jobs?

In general, your compensation has much more to do with geography and practice type than the fellowship you do (or don't do).

Very true. I live in SoCal and know many new pain attendings getting really crappy job offers. Makes the fellowship pretty much worthless.

Very true. I live in SoCal and know many new pain attendings getting really crappy job offers. Makes the fellowship pretty much worthless.
i'm always curious what these offer look like. are we talking less than 200, 250, 300 , 350?
such saturated market with crap in network rates

Hello, looking for more information regarding average salary for anesthesiologists by subspecialty. I am more so talking about pain medicine and anesthesiologists with fellowship training. Thanks
Changes every decade.

In my town, the PEDS guys make the most money (Children's San Diego). That is because they can do a ton of Tonsils and other quick turn around cases. The OB/GYN anesthesiologists (Mary Birch) I think are the next on the list.

I have heard that CCM is paying oodles these days.

When I started, pain jobs seemed to beat Anesthesiology jobs by a lot.

When I got out of the Navy, pain jobs were paying LESS than Anesthesia, and I think that is even worse today. Anesthesia pay is on the rise (significantly it would seem) and pain seems to be decreasing. I suspect that is from investment groups taking over practices and hiring pain physicians. The same groups are trying to do the same with anesthesia, but the shortages are making pay increase.

Reimbursments dropping hurt pain physician income, but I wonder if the same is true for anesthesia. Reimbursments can drop, but hospitals still need anesthesiologists so to keep them around, they need to pay market prices.