Anesthesiology vs. Radiology...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You don't need a fellowship to do trauma anesthesia!

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need a fellowship to do trauma anesthesia!

I've seen that multiple places and I believe that most of initial trauma management is stuff that is in the wheel house of any anesthesiologist (mostly assessment, fluid resuscitation, and stabilization) but I got the impression (maybe wrongly) that the fellowship would have focused a bit more the initial portions of the trauma and then transitioning to the OR.

Thanks for the input. Seriously, I know nothing about this process (at least it feels that way) and I'm happy for the help I can get.

Dude, someone, who cares who, slaps some big lines in the patient and you ride them. There's not much to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
More about the job market...

Pretty much every graduating anesthesia resident can get a job paying 300K+ in an urban area. I have never heard or met anyone who did a fellowship because they couldn't get a job period. The market might get worse but that's my sense of it at the moment.

Two of my close friends are R4 radiology residents (graduating in June) in the city. Both were great applicants at decent rads programs. I've been told by them that its essential to do at least one fellowship or you are unemployable. The chief resident at Cornell will not be able to get a job without one. Many residents are now having to do two fellowships as well. I'm sure things will improve once the old dogs start to retire but it's tough out there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/28/h...ialties-see-dream-jobs-disappearing.html?_r=0

More about the job market...

Pretty much every graduating anesthesia resident can get a job paying 300K+ in an urban area. I have never heard or met anyone who did a fellowship because they couldn't get a job period. The market might get worse but that's my sense of it at the moment.

Two of my close friends are R4 radiology residents (graduating in June) in the city. Both were great applicants at decent rads programs. I've been told by them that its essential to do at least one fellowship or you are unemployable. The chief resident at Cornell will not be able to get a job without one. Many residents are now having to do two fellowships as well. I'm sure things will improve once the old dogs start to retire but it's tough out there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/28/h...ialties-see-dream-jobs-disappearing.html?_r=0

NY hospital relents, promising another year of residency

March 28, 2013 -- Rethinking a decision that had sparked fear and anger among its radiology residents when it was announced last month, St. Barnabas Hospital in New York City has reversed course on a planned closure of its radiology residency program, vowing to keep it going for at least another year.

Meanwhile, details are beginning to emerge on the rationale behind the hospital's initial decision to close the residency program. Behind the scenes at St. Barnabas, teleradiology has been seen as an increasingly attractive and cheaper alternative to renewing the coverage contract with the current group, which has reportedly been unwilling to offer consistent overnight coverage onsite, sources told AuntMinnie.com.

Well this has been fun. Now, would someone please get to the meat of the matter and just tell me: which field is BETTER.

Thanks in advance. :laugh:

This is not a good question. Which field is better depends on a number of factors, including what you like. If you hate radiology, then it's a terrible field. If you hate anesthesia, then anesthesia is a terrible field. Both fields have draw backs and positives, as well as any other field in medicine. Which is a better fit is a choice you have to make yourself.

This is not a good question. Which field is better depends on a number of factors, including what you like. If you hate radiology, then it's a terrible field. If you hate anesthesia, then anesthesia is a terrible field. Both fields have draw backs and positives, as well as any other field in medicine. Which is a better fit is a choice you have to make yourself.

Radiology is a poor choice unless you want Interventional radiology. Or, you don't mind doing a fellowship and working for 1/2 what your boss earns for a long long time.