Radiology vs. Anesthesiology Fellowship Necessity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

94hdogs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just in my M2 year, so I probably need to wait till I can do rotations in both of these, but I can decide which one I like better. They both have solid incomes and lifestyles. I thought I'd look at the job market for both and it looks like you can do most of the anesthesia jobs without a fellowship, whereas with radiology you definitely have to do a fellowship. Then, there's also the boards. I heard the boards for radiology are tough, but they removed the oral component to them, whereas anesthesia still has oral boards.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just in my M2 year, so I probably need to wait till I can do rotations in both of these, but I can decide which one I like better. They both have solid incomes and lifestyles. I thought I'd look at the job market for both and it looks like you can do most of the anesthesia jobs without a fellowship, whereas with radiology you definitely have to do a fellowship. Then, there's also the boards. I heard the boards for radiology are tough, but they removed the oral component to them, whereas anesthesia still has oral boards.
Is there a question?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a question?
Oh shoot, I guess I didn't write one in. I guess I was just rambling about the two.

I will ask though, I notice I zone out a lot during really slow lectures and have a short attention span during conversations and I'm wondering if anesthesia is better suited for that. In radiology, you have to pay attention to all the details, but then in anesthesia, you have to constantly monitor the patient, so I dunno which would be worse.

Oh shoot, I guess I didn't write one in. I guess I was just rambling about the two.

I will ask though, I notice I zone out a lot during really slow lectures and have a short attention span during conversations and I'm wondering if anesthesia is better suited for that. In radiology, you have to pay attention to all the details, but then in anesthesia, you have to constantly monitor the patient, so I dunno which would be worse.

Not only patients, you also have to monitor surgeons, sometimes patients family members.
From your first post, and this…. I think you should wait until your clinical years to decide… I don’t have the feeling you’re quite right for either.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
I’d recommend Anesthesiology, followed by a (non-ACGME) fellowship in MRI & CT anesthesia.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I’d recommend Anesthesiology, followed by a (non-ACGME) fellowship in MRI & CT anesthesia.
That sounds really cool, but I can't find anything from googling

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users