ANGLE RANKING strategy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AliceF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a really hard time with angle ranking and just came up with an idea but I am not sure if it will work EVERY time. So, that is why I am posting here. I want to get feedback from people on whether it worked/does not work/ if someone have tried it, etc.

So lets say I have:

A) 1 < 4 < 2 < 3
B) 2 < 4 < 1 < 3
C) 2 < 3 < 1 < 4
D) 1 < 2 < 3 < 4

And the right answer is D. But, it was hard to tell the angle apart and I picked D because since 3 and 4 are options as to being the biggest angle and I came up with the conclusion that 4 is indeed the biggest, giving me a choice as to second biggest being eventually 3 and since there was only one answer, I picked that one and it was right.

So what I am basically saying is that would it work to obtain the biggest or even smallest and check the other answers as to what is the 2nd option as to which angle is biggest and for this example #3 so that makes it second the biggest angle, only leaving me with D as the right answer.

The reason I ask is because this strategy worked a couple of times and it is right most of them. I dont just want to try it on the test without having feedbacks.

Thank you and I am sorry for the mess, I hope I made myself clear enough :)

Members don't see this ad.

find the biggest and or smallest. eliminate choices that dont fit, but make sure they are the biggest or smallest. some will be easy and some will be impossible. my theory was if i were skiing down the angle which one would i go fastest on. seemed to work for me.

It's a little hard to tell because there isn't a picture of the problem. I think your method works but may only be effective on certain problems where the answer choices given have only 2 different largest angles options and only one answer choice has those two largest angles from all the options as the top two largest angles for that answer choice.

I approach each angle ranking problem a little differently depending on the whether the angles are mostly obtuse or acute, or what the answer choices are. My strategy for angle ranking is to first quickly glance at the angles (but not rank them). I do this purely to see which angles may have been the largest. Then I look at the answer choices to determine which angles were listed as largest. In your case, it can only be 3 or 4. After determining which is largest or if I'm stuck and can't figure it out, I go to the answer choices to see which were listed as the smallest angles (which is 1 or 2). Then comes the tricky but very important part. You can't stop at just the largest and smallest (which was my strategy before but I would miss a lot of angle questions because the DATs do not make it easy and give you obvious answer choices). You have to to look at the middle choices. A dead giveaway for me (and I haven't even seen the actual problem) is that 3 and 4 are listed as largest. If those two angles are similar, then clearly they will be the two largest angles. Then A and B are wrong because 4 is ranked 2nd to smallest. For choice C, I would compare angle 1 and 3 if you couldn't the smallest angles since 2 and 3 "middle" of the ranking. Again, I would use the logic that 3 would be larger than 1, making C incorrect as well.

But do keep practicing to see what works for you! Angle Ranking just takes a lot of practice.

Reactions: 1 user