Angle Ranking Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalgirl310

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have figured out that if I cover the angles with my fingers (putting my fingers on the screen) so that I only see the vertices of the two angles I am comparing it makes it much easier to distinguish which angle is larger or smaller (if that makes sense). Will I be able to do this during the test? I don't know if anyone else has tried this before or not, but it works well for me.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know they don't allow you to touch or put your hands towards the screen... but it's worth calling and asking your testing site.

They won't let you do that. Just run the angle generator from bootcamp a few times and try to figure out something that works for you without having to use your fingers

Members don't see this ad :)
I found it easy to first pay attention to the available answers. Determine the largest or smallest angle first and narrow down your options. On my DAT, I ran past a few angles where the largest was easy to determine and it was the only option that indicated that particular angle as the largest, so I could select that option and move on without ranking the rest of the angles.

Thanks! I really struggle when I don't use my fingers. I will keep working on it though and hopefully will come up with a strategy that works for me soon.

I have a question for u since u did it at the culver city... how is the calculator there.. does it have square root? is it easy to use or does it lag!?
The calculators do have square root and they don't lag.

As far as angle ranking I recommend first looking at the answer choices, usually if you compare either all the smallest or biggest of the choices you will be down to comparing two angles and go from there. It's not always that clear cut, and occasionally you have to choose between three. In that case I compare two of the three and then the winner to the third one. Definitely never try to compare more than two angles at once.

Glancing back and forth rapidly between the angles is the only way I've found to compare ones that are really close. I would also not get too worked up over angle ranking; it's pretty hard to master. I wouldn't spend more than 30 seconds on any one question. One last thing that helped me was to draw four blanks like this on your answer sheet:

_
_
_
_

Draw X's in slots as you eliminate answers, that way you don't have to keep track in your head. I use this strategy for keyholes, TFE, and pattern folding too.