happyasaclam88

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
i just can't seem to get my mind around the angle ranking section of the pat. it seems like there's just no way to check your answers or ever really know if you're right!

does anyone have any effective strategies for this section? i've been using the "angle nesting" strategy, but i'd love to try something different.

thanks!

davao4444

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
its hard to actually study for this section, i feel like its more of a you got it or you dont type thing.. but strategies i used:

process of elimination... at the very least i could usually get the idea of whats the largest and whats the biggest.. knowing those two extremes should eliminate 2 answer choices most the time

i also tried to visually 'fit' one angle into another

and when comparing two angles i covered the two legs of the angles so that the leg sizes are the same and try to compare.. sometimes the different leg sizes throw you off.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
I recommand you to find the pattern from the answer choices.
For example
1) A-B-C-D
2) B-C-A-D
3) B-A-C-D

from the choices above, it's obvious that D should be the largest, C cannot be the smallest, Either A or B is the smallest but there is bigger chance of B being smaller than A cuz there r two choices that indicate that B should be the smallest compared to only one choice that shows A first. when you narrowed it down to either 2 or 3, it will most likly be 3 because A and B must have almost the same angle since they even went through all the hessle of making A as the smallest for choice1.

smile101

10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
try looking for the smallest and the biggest ones first...usually helps. Someone here who had 30 on PAT said that she had used actual protractor to study them when she got them wrong. I want to try that strategy myself when I can get myself to actually go and buy one.

Hugh Mannity

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Minnesota
Status
Pre-Dental
I recommand you to find the pattern from the answer choices.
For example
1) A-B-C-D
2) B-C-A-D
3) B-A-C-D

from the choices above, it's obvious that D should be the largest, C cannot be the smallest, Either A or B is the smallest but there is bigger chance of B being smaller than A cuz there r two choices that indicate that B should be the smallest compared to only one choice that shows A first. when you narrowed it down to either 2 or 3, it will most likly be 3 because A and B must have almost the same angle since they even went through all the hessle of making A as the smallest for choice1.
I would say that elimination is the best process but do not use the rest of this advise as Gospel. They know how to write tests and are aware of the logic above. Do not rule out an answer like #3 above or an answer that has one angle as the smallest and the other three have the same. If very well may be the odd one out and you're already done with the answer. I would not try to pull tricks on this test without even looking at all the possibilities.

OP
H

happyasaclam88

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
angle nesting is just what my book called trying to fit one angle into another ... it's a pretty helpful way of visualizing, but i wish there was a way to actually study these!

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
grow your finger nails and put tick marks on it. It can be used as clear transparency finger nail protractor :D

prydA

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
what i do is this...

if the angles are small, i imagine them as crocodile mouths. imagine the series of angles as stills from a video of a crocodile eating something. or imagine a face on the angle... which face has their mouth the most open?

if the angles are REALLY small, i imagine them being daggers. the sharper the daggers, the more itll hurt if youre stabbed o_o.

with big angles (above 90), i imagine a chair. the smaller the angle, the less comfortable itll be. the bigger it is, the more you can lay back.

these some methods i thought up myself, hope they help :)

OP
H

happyasaclam88

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
thank you! that's actually really helpful and not in a doom and gloom "you either see it or you don't" way!