• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

donutzebra

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm planning to apply to medical school during the next application cycle (matriculation in 2018), and I was wondering whether it could possibly hurt my chances to include one of my activities involving animal experimentation.

During the summer after my freshman year of college, I observed experimentation on pigs in a physician-scientist's lab, and I'm pretty sure most of those pigs died.

It was definitely a worthwhile experience, but it won't be included in one of my most "memorable" activities. I'm a bit worried about the possibility that some, for instance hardcore PETA members on admission committees, might be disgusted by it.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to include this in my medical school application (any ideas about the risk-benefit ratio?).

Thanks for your help!

donutzebra

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Animal experimentation is pretty common in biology. It's part of the process of biomedical science.

Thanks! Yeah, I've done research involving mice and my senior thesis used fruit flies, but I was wondering if people placed more "sentimental value" on pigs.

About the Ads

JustAPhD

Not a hummingbird expert
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2016
Ice Coast
I'm sure whatever was done on the pigs was approved by the institution's IACUC and fully within the bounds of acceptable research. The adcoms will be well-aware of animal experimentation in research, don't worry.

Reactions: 1 user
D

deleted407021

hardcore PETA members on admission committees
This is...probably not a thing.

Don't worry. Label your experience how you wish. Nothing will seem out of sorts to people involved in the biological sciences.

Reactions: 1 users

DingoPingo

7+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
i mean, unless if you don't submit something like, "I spent the summer cutting off the heads of pigs," it shouldn't matter. Killing animals is pretty much one of the most important duties of a animal researcher.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.