This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbirdd123

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm applying this upcoming cycle and looking to take Animal Nutrition for NCSU's prereq requirements. I was wondering if anyone had advice on which school to the take the course online through (and cheapest?). I've heard good things about Purdue, but also seems to be on the pricier side. I'm planning on enrolling in the course this summer. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did Oklahoma State's correspondence course in Animal Nutrition and it was by far the cheapest I could find. I believe it was around $600, give or take.

Also, I believe this topic has been discussed, so you will probably find good info using the search function :)

Reactions: 1 users
I did Oklahoma State's correspondence course in Animal Nutrition and it was by far the cheapest I could find. I believe it was around $600, give or take.

Also, I believe this topic has been discussed, so you will probably find good info using the search function :)

Thanks! :) I did some searching on other threads but most seemed somewhat outdated, I figured prices/professors might have changed

Members don't see this ad :)
3171285-giphy+%284%29.gif

I read the title and was about to page Electrophile.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I read the title and almost went and got legit, real life popcorn and was going to stop studying for the night.

Reactions: 5 users
I read the title and almost went and got legit, real life popcorn and was going to stop studying for the night.

Hahahah sorry, my bad!! I didn't even think of it in that context

Reactions: 1 user
Phew. I'm glad I'm not the only one who got super excited upon seeing the title of the thread. Hahaha.

I'm taking Oklahoma State's course right now and even though I'll need an extension to finish it, this class is still cheaper than all other options! Tests aren't too awful either.

I'm taking Oklahoma State's course right now and even though I'll need an extension to finish it, this class is still cheaper than all other options! Tests aren't too awful either.

Thanks!! Hows the level of homework aside from exams? Would it be possible to finish the course in 2.5 months?

Thanks!! Hows the level of homework aside from exams? Would it be possible to finish the course in 2.5 months?
It's possible if you cram. I took my sweet time and put the class off and now I'm having to scramble to finish by the deadline for vet school. The homework assignments take about an hour or two to complete, so it's really not bad. You could get it done in the summer!

I took the Oklahoma State course and it was fine/cheap. I took it over the summer last year and is totally doable in 2 months if you are disciplined with it.

The annoying thing is there are only full letter grades (A,B,etc) so you can't get an A- or a B+. on top of this, there is a stipulation that you have to get above a 90 on at least one exam to receive an A, even if your final grade is above a 90. The exams are 50 multiple choice questions and I kept on getting 88s and 86s. With the homework grade combined I had like a 92% in the class, but since I never got above a 90 on an exam I ended up with a B.

I took the Oklahoma State course and it was fine/cheap. I took it over the summer last year and is totally doable in 2 months if you are disciplined with it.

The annoying thing is there are only full letter grades (A,B,etc) so you can't get an A- or a B+. on top of this, there is a stipulation that you have to get above a 90 on at least one exam to receive an A, even if your final grade is above a 90. The exams are 50 multiple choice questions and I kept on getting 88s and 86s. With the homework grade combined I had like a 92% in the class, but since I never got above a 90 on an exam I ended up with a B.

Ooohhhhh thanks! Thats actually really valuable to know ahead of time

I found OK State really straightforward and quite simple. BUT you do need to be good about keeping yourself accountable since there's no one pushing you to finish assignments in any time frame. If I remember correctly, there's 15 assignments? Other than the fact that it does take a while for the exams to get to your proctor sometimes, the assignments themselves are doable within a few weeks if you really crank them out- maybe faster, depending on how much time you have to commit to them each night. It only takes a couple hours per assignment.

13 assignments and five exams with the OK State course. Tests are not cumulative, including the fifth test. They require two weeks notice for tests for mailing them out. I take my tests at my local library, fifty questions, true/false and multiple choice as somebody else had already mentioned. I'm getting my assignments back in about a week (email). Took a couple weeks to get score back on the first test because I took it right before spring break so it essentially sat for a week. Plus they snail mail the test results to you, which is fine with me. The correspondence office staff is very nice and helpful.

I did take genetics online through Kstate and it was really nice with recorded lectures and the option to use either an online proctor for tests or somebody local. Was quite pricy though! And the online proctor service cost for each test. (I only mention this because I believe they offer the course as well)

This may be a dumb question, but do you have to apply to the school and be accepted to take their animal nutrition course or can you just sign up, pay, and take it?

This may be a dumb question, but do you have to apply to the school and be accepted to take their animal nutrition course or can you just sign up, pay, and take it?

all schools are a little bit different. for OK-state I think I just called them up and was able to register for the course over the phone and give them my cc info.

I remember that kansas-state had a little more complicated process, but you dont have to actually apply to the school and be accepted, you mostly just have to fill out some amount of paperwork, usually online.

all schools are a little bit different. for OK-state I think I just called them up and was able to register for the course over the phone and give them my cc info.

I remember that kansas-state had a little more complicated process, but you dont have to actually apply to the school and be accepted, you mostly just have to fill out some amount of paperwork, usually online.
Thank you!

I would like everyone's opinion on an animal nutrition online course matter. I will be applying next summer, and only one of the schools I am interested in require animal nutrition. In your guys' opinion, would it "look better" if I take animal nutrition online through that school?

I would like everyone's opinion on an animal nutrition online course matter. I will be applying next summer, and only one of the schools I am interested in require animal nutrition. In your guys' opinion, would it "look better" if I take animal nutrition online through that school?
It doesn't matter where you take it, as long as it meets the requirements. Find the cheapest and go with that.