eelo

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
As long as your undergrad meets all the pre-reqs, it doesn't matter what your degree is in. Any sort of biology/physiology courses could only help, in my opinion.

Jitaka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
When I first started college I wanted to become a vet. Eventually I decided it wasn't for me, and decided pharmacy was. Anyway, my major is Animal bioscience, which is for those who planned on vet or graduate school. I haven't changed my major because it contains all the pre-reqs for pharm school. If I dont get into pharmacy school after 2 years (WHICH I'm ALMOST DONE WITH YAY!) My question is... could the knowledge I gain from the animal-related class I take help me in pharmacy school? (if this is a stupid question Im sorry)

Wow, I could have almost written that post.

When I entered into my freshmen year of college, I wanted to be a vet. At the time, I thought it would be beneficial for me to major in Animal Science. However, my uncle advised me to major in something a bit more broad. So, I majored in Microbiology and Cell Science with a "pre-vet" track.

Fast forward a couple of years and I now changed my mind to pharmacy. When I decided to switch, I spoke to a few pharmacy advisor's about my "pre-vet" classes. They told me that as long as I took the prerequisites, then I'm okay :)

Cju101, I don't think you should worry too much b/c the classes required for veterinary school are the same ones required for pharmacy school (with the exception of Human Anatomy/Physiology). Just make sure you fit human anatomy and physiology into your animal science major over the course of the next two years :)

As far as your "extra" education with the animal science classes...hmmm...I don't see how it would hurt you once you enter pharmacy school:confused:

About the Ads

tricia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Gainesville, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Same exact situation here, and actually i think its pretty common. When the dean of LECOM Bradenton called to tell me I was accepted, he said he had read my personal statement, which went into detail about how i changed my mind form vet to pharmacy. He said he did the exact same thing. Both of the pharmacists I work for now also did the same thing.

Jitaka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
...my personal statement, which went into detail about how i changed my mind form vet to pharmacy. He said he did the exact same thing. Both of the pharmacists I work for now also did the same thing.

Hey Tricia,

I am currently trying to write my personal statement for pharmacy school. I'm currently debating if I should even talk about my past veterinary experience or just leave it out and make it pharmacy oriented.

I'm just concerned that if I talk tooo much about veterinary medicine, I would give off the impression that I'm not "over" that profession. Do you have any advice on that subject:confused:

eelo

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hey Tricia,

I am currently trying to write my personal statement for pharmacy school. I'm currently debating if I should even talk about my past veterinary experience or just leave it out and make it pharmacy oriented.

I'm just concerned that if I talk tooo much about veterinary medicine, I would give off the impression that I'm not "over" that profession. Do you have any advice on that subject:confused:

Tell 'em you're considering veterinary pharmacy???

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.