Animal Related Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cju101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
W

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your undergrad meets all the pre-reqs, it doesn't matter what your degree is in. Any sort of biology/physiology courses could only help, in my opinion.

When I first started college I wanted to become a vet. Eventually I decided it wasn't for me, and decided pharmacy was. Anyway, my major is Animal bioscience, which is for those who planned on vet or graduate school. I haven't changed my major because it contains all the pre-reqs for pharm school. If I dont get into pharmacy school after 2 years (WHICH I'm ALMOST DONE WITH YAY!) My question is... could the knowledge I gain from the animal-related class I take help me in pharmacy school? (if this is a stupid question Im sorry)

Wow, I could have almost written that post.

When I entered into my freshmen year of college, I wanted to be a vet. At the time, I thought it would be beneficial for me to major in Animal Science. However, my uncle advised me to major in something a bit more broad. So, I majored in Microbiology and Cell Science with a "pre-vet" track.

Fast forward a couple of years and I now changed my mind to pharmacy. When I decided to switch, I spoke to a few pharmacy advisor's about my "pre-vet" classes. They told me that as long as I took the prerequisites, then I'm okay :)

Cju101, I don't think you should worry too much b/c the classes required for veterinary school are the same ones required for pharmacy school (with the exception of Human Anatomy/Physiology). Just make sure you fit human anatomy and physiology into your animal science major over the course of the next two years :)

As far as your "extra" education with the animal science classes...hmmm...I don't see how it would hurt you once you enter pharmacy school:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Same exact situation here, and actually i think its pretty common. When the dean of LECOM Bradenton called to tell me I was accepted, he said he had read my personal statement, which went into detail about how i changed my mind form vet to pharmacy. He said he did the exact same thing. Both of the pharmacists I work for now also did the same thing.

...my personal statement, which went into detail about how i changed my mind form vet to pharmacy. He said he did the exact same thing. Both of the pharmacists I work for now also did the same thing.

Hey Tricia,

I am currently trying to write my personal statement for pharmacy school. I'm currently debating if I should even talk about my past veterinary experience or just leave it out and make it pharmacy oriented.

I'm just concerned that if I talk tooo much about veterinary medicine, I would give off the impression that I'm not "over" that profession. Do you have any advice on that subject:confused:

Hey Tricia,

I am currently trying to write my personal statement for pharmacy school. I'm currently debating if I should even talk about my past veterinary experience or just leave it out and make it pharmacy oriented.

I'm just concerned that if I talk tooo much about veterinary medicine, I would give off the impression that I'm not "over" that profession. Do you have any advice on that subject:confused:

Tell 'em you're considering veterinary pharmacy???