Animal Rights EC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr Avante

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pre-med, I hope this thread finds you safe and in good spirits. :)
By now, I have seen all sorts of hobbies and extracurricular activities; however, there is one that has attracted my attention:
  • Animal-rights activism
Here is a question and an article set for discussion:

Would you go this far for animal rights?

Members don't see this ad.

This article absolutely disgust me.

By now, I have seen all sorts of hobbies and extracurricular activities; however, there is one that has attracted my attention:
  • Animal-rights activism

If this attracts your attention in a way leading you to support it, I highly suggest NOT indicating this to adcoms. In fact, you may want to reconsider medicine entirely, since virtually all research and breakthroughs in the field are based on animal models and animal experimentation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Indicating your support for animal rights to medical school admissions counselors is practically suicidal; many medical researchers have had their lives or their work threatened by these so-called "activists." I would say that being associated with the modern-day animal rights movement raises red-flags about your true ethical beliefs; do you wish to be on the side of the medical researchers who are saving lives or on the side of these terrorists who break into labs and harass scientists?

Indicating your support for animal rights to medical school admissions counselors is practically suicidal; many medical researchers have had their lives or their work threatened by these so-called "activists." I would say that being associated with the modern-day animal rights movement raises red-flags about your true ethical beliefs; do you wish to be on the side of the medical researchers who are saving lives or on the side of these terrorists who break into labs and harass scientists?

+1 Any mention of "animal rights" leaves a bad taste imo...

Really, the term most people mean when they say they are for "animal rights" is that they are in support of "animal welfare" - a much better term all around. Few people actually believe that animals ought to have rights in the same way that humans have rights, most believe that animals ought to have a high standard of care and ought to be treated humanely. It's the difference between an extreme lifestyle vegan who won't wear a wool coat or keep a cat as a pet (since cats have the right to freedom) and a more typical citizen who chooses to support humane farming practices and opposes animal cruelty.

The most extreme examples of "animal rights" propaganda can be found on the PETA website, which at one point likens the current plight of animals to the struggles faced by refugees on the underground railroad.

Edit: Link to that page http://www.peta.org/about/faq/Whats-PETAs-position-on-the-Animal-Liberation-Front-ALF.aspx

Last edited:
  • Animal-rights activism

No.

Humans are always superior to animals.

• Animal-rights activism

No, this is the wrong way to go. You have to convince people about your ideas, not cause problems that ultimately show you don't know how to argue.

• Animal-rights activism

Let's head to the Flavoury Amphithéatré.:eek:

• Animal-rights activism

G78XZZN.gif

This thread took off like a north korean rocket.
I am not an applicant, guys.

+1

Ha yeah...

I'd love to see you swim in a pool with sharks and see which of you is "superior."

......... Why are we discussing physical aspects? I hope you are trolling

Humans are always superior to animals.

We are animals. We are not special aside from our cognitive abilities. I can understand biochemistry but I can't run like a cheetah or smell like a blood hound. We all have our advantages.

• Animal-rights activism

Biomedical research is heavily and strictly regulated in the US, so it's no surprise that animal safety must be adhered. I figure the same is true in Europe. However, what these so-called "animal rights activists" did is basically criminal activity.

STRONGLY concur.