Animal Viruses: No lytic/lysogenic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justadream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do the lytic/lysogenic systems only apply to phages (and NOT to animal viruses)?

That seems to be the way it is presented in Campbell Biology 10th edition.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay so there are lytic/lysogenic for both phages and animal viruses.

I was asking because the AAMC's outline says "generalized phage and animal virus life cycles" which made me wonder if there was a major difference (I guess one difference would be that animal viruses are always enveloped).

Okay so there are lytic/lysogenic for both phages and animal viruses.

I was asking because the AAMC's outline says "generalized phage and animal virus life cycles" which made me wonder if there was a major difference (I guess one difference would be that animal viruses are always enveloped).

This is not true. There are non-enveloped viruses that are animal viruses.

IIRC from my microbiology course, the major difference between bacteriophages and animal viruses was that almost all bacteriophages enter the cell through the injection of naked DNA. Animal viruses on the other hand almost always enter via endocytosis, receptor-mediated endocytosis (i.e., clathrin-mediated) or fusion of the plasma membrane.

Another difference is that most bacteriophages exit via lysis. Animal viruses on the other hand have two modes of exit: budding without lysis (for enveloped viruses) and rupture of the plasma membrane (for non-enveloped viruses).

With respect to the lytic cycle/lysogenic cycle. I think the main difference is that all bacteriophages must undergo these cycles. In animal viruses however, integration into host genome is only one mechanism of animal viral propagation. There are other methods of viral propagation in animal viruses.

Last edited: