Anki (and other learning applications) Fun with Photoshop Thread

esob

Article 14
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's no secret that as a species we are visual learners. This point has been posited as a mechanism that drives memory encoding and likely play a role in other phenomena such as the familiarity principle. Thus, it is no surprise that learners in our digital age have taken to graphic editors (Photoshop and others) to assist them in solidifying troves of information. This thread pays hommage to those creations!

Again, please be mindful of our basic rules (no nudity, racist, misogynist, etc content). Please keep the content PG or under :D

It would probably be helpful if you post an explanation for your image since not everyone is at the same stage or venue of education, and the image need not be your own creation (though please cite sources if you are using copyrighted material).

Members don't see this ad.

oompa.loompaphacele.png

Oompa Loompa Copyright: © johnrk - http://www.redbubble.com/people/johnr // Womb - Die Frau Alshausarztin 1911

I'm in my GI block at the moment and pieced this together to help me remember the mechanisms of omphaloceles

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, u guys are killing me, does no one know how to use photoshop these days? :partyblob:

medusa.png

Here is Medusa, whose real name is Amy. She is a former Paratrooper from C company (hence the 82nd airborne patch) These days she spends her time drinking calcium from the congo red blood of her victims while keeping her mutant 2nd son, RET, nearby because, hey, childcare is expensive.

Who wants to take a stab at deciphering this image? I'm willing to send a $5 amazon gift card to the first person who can successfully tell me what pathology this picture represents and what the 8 highlighted words are referring to in regard to this condition.

Man, u guys are killing me, does no one know how to use photoshop these days? :partyblob:

View attachment 328211

Here is Medusa, whose real name is Amy. She is a former Paratrooper from C company (hence the 82nd airborne patch) These days she spends her time drinking calcium from the congo red blood of her victims while keeping her mutant 2nd son, RET, nearby because, hey, childcare is expensive.

Who wants to take a stab at deciphering this image? I'm willing to send a $5 amazon gift card to the first person who can successfully tell me what pathology this picture represents and what the 8 highlighted words are referring to in regard to this condition.

Aw I’m guessing mods can’t play lol

Go for it :D I'm curious to see if my "recurring symbols" for pathphys click with anyone else.

Well it looks like a card for medullary thyroid carcinoma. Your Medusa is medullary, the paratroopers are the parafollicular C cells, the drinking calcium is because the C cells secrete calcitonin which causes hypocalcemia, the Congo red is because MTC is a unique thyroid cancer in that it has amyloid that will show on Congo red staining, and your 2a and 2b and RET are your MEN 2 syndromes and the mutation that goes with it.

Well it looks like a card for medullary thyroid carcinoma. Your Medusa is medullary, the paratroopers are the parafollicular C cells, the drinking calcium is because the C cells secrete calcitonin which causes hypocalcemia, the Congo red is because MTC is a unique thyroid cancer in that it has amyloid that will show on Congo red staining, and your 2a and 2b and RET are your MEN 2 syndromes and the mutation that goes with it.

Yay! u got it spot on! PM me your email for the GC. I think I'm going to do another of these soon :D

Man, y'all are not playing along here, lol. OK, here is a new image to help you remember that metoclopramide can cause tardive dyskinesia (tarded horse), prolonged QT (QuickTrip + Torsades banner), and hyperprolactinemia (Jug o' milk)

Screenshot_18.png

OK, back on the hunt with STEP 2. I'm going to try to commit to a daily picture for the next 3 weeks.

Today's feature is the famed "Elkalosis" (alkalosis) and his trusty Albatross (aldosterone). This one was created to address a couple of things that I used to forget.

1. The background is a mountain, reminding you that when you travel to altitude, the result is respiratory alkalosis.
2. The albatross is meant to represent aldosterone's effects, so;
- he has a Salty Peanut in his mouth, indicating when the albatross is around, he is bringing in more sodium
- he has a trail of H+ and K+ behind him, indicating that whenever the albatross is around, protons and potassium are leaving

So, if something kills the albatross (like spironolactone), He is not around to excrete potassium and hence spironolactone increases K.

Elk and albatross.png