Anki Central

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Should I start using anki for my prereq classes (genetics, cell, biochem, orgo) or wait until I start studying for the mcat? I want to be able to use the same cards for when I do my content review, but I feel as if I'll have a ton of cards with concepts that aren't tested on the mcat.

Members don't see this ad.

Should I start using anki for my prereq classes (genetics, cell, biochem, orgo) or wait until I start studying for the mcat? I want to be able to use the same cards for when I do my content review, but I feel as if I'll have a ton of cards with concepts that aren't tested on the mcat.
What I did was read through the MCAT content outlines ahead of time. While I was taking the classes, I would tag cards related to MCAT-testable subjects, BY that content outline (e.g. a card on nucleotides would be tagged MCAT BS Bio molecular genetics, because those were all headings on the content outline at that time). When I got to dedicated review time, I only had to search by the tags for the subjects I was currently studying, and add those cards to the deck I was building for MCAT.

What I did was read through the MCAT content outlines ahead of time. While I was taking the classes, I would tag cards related to MCAT-testable subjects, BY that content outline (e.g. a card on nucleotides would be tagged MCAT BS Bio molecular genetics, because those were all headings on the content outline at that time). When I got to dedicated review time, I only had to search by the tags for the subjects I was currently studying, and add those cards to the deck I was building for MCAT.
Wow genius!

Members don't see this ad :)
Custom study deck would be the way to go! Let your deck settings stay the way that works best for managing your LONG term retention, and use Custom Study for when you have a short-term goal.

Thank you so much!!

Sorry if this was already asked: How easy/difficult is it to edit decks by combining smaller decks into larger ones or dividing up larger ones into smaller ones? And what about changing the tags on my cards? I used quizlet before and made lots of rookie mistakes when it came to organizing my flashcards and decks.

Sorry if this was already asked: How easy/difficult is it to edit decks by combining smaller decks into larger ones or dividing up larger ones into smaller ones? And what about changing the tags on my cards? I used quizlet before and made lots of rookie mistakes when it came to organizing my flashcards and decks.
Very easy to combine no matter what, very easy to split them up IF you are thorough in your tagging. Always, always, always tag. It's better to use too many redundant tags than to use too few.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it a bad idea to download a pre-made deck of cards that I haven't learned yet (I'll probably end up choosing the "again" option for 95% of them) and to try and learn them with anki? Or is anki not made for learning hundreds of new cards at once?

Hi. Could someone help me - I am quite new to anki.
I am currently organising my cards in decks for each subject, with each deck containing all the material taught throughout the year (around 300 cards in each deck). The cards themselves do not have any tags. Whilst this works very well for exam preparation, I would like to keep revising the majority of the cards throughout university, whilst disabling the less important ones (trivia, examples, etc). Is there a way to achieve this without deleting the non-important cards?

Not exactly sure what you are trying to do - and why on earth aren't your cards tagged at all?

You can suspend cards or burry them, is that what you are looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey all, I'm new here. I'm sure this has been already asked, but you have 100 reviews for your current deck + about 100 for your review deck so this is 200 cards each day + the around 60 new cards. That's true or am I missing something :p Thanks a lot :)

If in one day you make 100 cards, but your setting is only 50 new cards a day, does that mean it will take you 2 days to see all the cards you made? If this was the case would you adjust the new cards/day to 100 or however many you made that day?

Sorry new to anki, and I have 50 new cards and 100 review cards a day, but I am making more than 50 cards a day.

Members don't see this ad :)
If in one day you make 100 cards, but your setting is only 50 new cards a day, does that mean it will take you 2 days to see all the cards you made? If this was the case would you adjust the new cards/day to 100 or however many you made that day?

Sorry new to anki, and I have 50 new cards and 100 review cards a day, but I am making more than 50 cards a day.
I would just 'Custom Study' → Increase New Card Count

For someone trying to maximize efficiency, I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly I should put into Anki. I used to put whole handouts into Anki and close everything, but it's a lot of work, and probably inefficient. I'm sure there's another way. I was thinking of just getting multiple passes of the material in different forms (YouTube vids, professor handouts, high yield student notes, and maybe even lecture capture if I feel like it/have time), which would be 3-4 passes the same week of the lectures and throwing any standalone facts and graphics like drug names, enzyme names, tables, graphs, etc into Anki. Then pre-exam week I would do another pass of the high yield notes/prof handouts, so that would be 4-5 passes.

What do you guys think?

I have a few anatomical images with structures numbered from 1 to x. Is there a way to easily import them into anki? My first guess would be to use Image Occlusion Enhanced to outline the numbers and then go through each individual card one by one and add the answers, but perhaps there is an easier method?
Images are from McMinn's photographic atlas btw.

I have a few anatomical images with structures numbered from 1 to x. Is there a way to easily import them into anki? My first guess would be to use Image Occlusion Enhanced to outline the numbers and then go through each individual card one by one and add the answers, but perhaps there is an easier method?
Images are from McMinn's photographic atlas btw.
Put picture into a Cloze card with a sentence like "Structure 1 is the {{c1::anterior collateral ligament}}."

thanks! also, if anyone has the same problem, try the add on frozen fields.

Not so much a problem with the actual program but more the usage and didn't want to make a new thread. Does anyone have any tips on how to manage the number of cards I create? I find myself making around 3 cards / slide of material (usually image occlusion), I usually average around 25 slides of material per class and have about 6 meeting times per week for the classes I use Anki for. As you can see this leads to almost 300-400 new cards per week which seems pretty high compared to what I see other people saying. I try to keep it to a minimum but most slides are pretty dense.

Any tips on how to more effectively make cards or does this seem about average?

Not so much a problem with the actual program but more the usage and didn't want to make a new thread. Does anyone have any tips on how to manage the number of cards I create? I find myself making around 3 cards / slide of material (usually image occlusion), I usually average around 25 slides of material per class and have about 6 meeting times per week for the classes I use Anki for. As you can see this leads to almost 300-400 new cards per week which seems pretty high compared to what I see other people saying. I try to keep it to a minimum but most slides are pretty dense.

Any tips on how to more effectively make cards or does this seem about average?
Don't Anki things that aren't in First Aid?

Random. Anyone want to buy my firecracker account from me? I got 3 years left on it. I'll make it super cheap lol

Posted this on the wrong forum! Whoops! I'm a 2nd year med student
Haha, all good, but between posting here and your profile saying 'Premedical' I was a bit confused.

I have a question on how to best use anki in my situation..

So we are in a systems approach this upcoming semester in which we have modules for 4 weeks or so.. a ton of material. I am making cards but how can i best study these over the 4 week periods using anki. I dont want spacing of weeks or months rather if i know the card well can i make it so I see it again in just a couple days to get re-exposure to it? This is going to be my main study material for this class.

Thanks!

I have a question on how to best use anki in my situation..

So we are in a systems approach this upcoming semester in which we have modules for 4 weeks or so.. a ton of material. I am making cards but how can i best study these over the 4 week periods using anki. I dont want spacing of weeks or months rather if i know the card well can i make it so I see it again in just a couple days to get re-exposure to it? This is going to be my main study material for this class.

Thanks!
You can set the interval modifier to artificially shorten all of the intervals. But you really shouldn't need to up the frequency if you're getting them right multiple times within the 4wks.

How do you set up Anki for exams given every 8-10 weeks?

How do you set up Anki for exams given every 8-10 weeks?
I set it up normally for long term retention, tag material by which exam it's on, and use Cram/Custom Study decks to flip through things leading up to the exam. I want to have the algorithm maximize my spaced repetition for the long term. Any extra review I do for the exam only helps that.

two months out here.

wondering how much time you dedicate to anki per day? and if you do it more than once per day?

making them took so long, bit depressing how much i dont remember and finding i put way too much detail into the back of the cards. but im editing as i go along.

two months out here.

wondering how much time you dedicate to anki per day? and if you do it more than once per day?

making them took so long, bit depressing how much i dont remember and finding i put way too much detail into the back of the cards. but im editing as i go along.
I've fallen out of Anki a bit, since my school's curriculum isn't really geared towards it (they don't want us memorizing a lot of minutiae), but when I do ramp it up, I like to do a morning session and an evening one. That way, any new cards from the morning are either Learned or reset by the next day's reviews. The evening session is usually short, unless I choose to review ahead.

I'm wondering if anyone on this thread who has found success with Anki for MCAT might be able to give me some advice when it comes to reviewing the material efficiently.

I just started week 3 of studying and plan on taking my exam in May. I've been diligent about adding cards to my deck/tagging them the day after I review corresponding chapters, and my plan before I really knew the specifics of Anki was to study one subject deck a day (Bio deck Mon, Chem deck Tues, etc). However, I'm quickly finding out that this isn't the best option for encoding and recall, and I feel like I can be using this software MUCH more efficiently for reviewing.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can alter my study method for Anki specifically? Should I add all of my cards to one giant mcat deck and study directly from there so that I'm getting a good mix of material per day?

I'm wondering if anyone on this thread who has found success with Anki for MCAT might be able to give me some advice when it comes to reviewing the material efficiently.

I just started week 3 of studying and plan on taking my exam in May. I've been diligent about adding cards to my deck/tagging them the day after I review corresponding chapters, and my plan before I really knew the specifics of Anki was to study one subject deck a day (Bio deck Mon, Chem deck Tues, etc). However, I'm quickly finding out that this isn't the best option for encoding and recall, and I feel like I can be using this software MUCH more efficiently for reviewing.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can alter my study method for Anki specifically? Should I add all of my cards to one giant mcat deck and study directly from there so that I'm getting a good mix of material per day?
Yes to the bolded!
You're already breaking it down by subject when you study; you don't need to do so when you review. The test won't be broken down that nicely for you; don't learn to rely on it!

Yes to the bolded!
You're already breaking it down by subject when you study; you don't need to do so when you review. The test won't be broken down that nicely for you; don't learn to rely on it!

Thanks for your input! Do you recommend moving all of my already created cards into a main deck and then creating subdecks for each section in case I want to do specific subject review? I've been tagging my cards by subject-specific broad topic.

Thanks for your input! Do you recommend moving all of my already created cards into a main deck and then creating subdecks for each section in case I want to do specific subject review? I've been tagging my cards by subject-specific broad topic.
If you tag by subject, you can easily do subject-specific review without subdecks, using the Custom Study 'by card tag' options. Subdecks just make things messier.

If you tag by subject, you can easily do subject-specific review without subdecks, using the Custom Study 'by card tag' options. Subdecks just make things messier.
Perfect. Thanks so much for your help.

Hello! I'm also new to anki, and I am planning on taking my MCAT on May 24. I have about 2,218 cards so far divided into 4 subdecks and I have been slowly making my way through this deck, but I feel like I am not efficiently moving through the decks.Leading me to feel very behind schedule. I saw your recommendation of just adding them to a massive deck in order to get a good mix of content. Do you have any further recommendations in order for me to go through this deck 5-6 times prior to my exam?

Hello! I'm also new to anki, and I am planning on taking my MCAT on May 24. I have about 2,218 cards so far divided into 4 subdecks and I have been slowly making my way through this deck, but I feel like I am not efficiently moving through the decks.Leading me to feel very behind schedule. I saw your recommendation of just adding them to a massive deck in order to get a good mix of content. Do you have any further recommendations in order for me to go through this deck 5-6 times prior to my exam?
You don't need to go through it 5-6 times. Put things in one large decks (after TAGGING thoroughly), set the Learn interval to something less than 12hrs, and then review once in the morning, once at night. That will get things to 'Review' stage quickly, unless you need to spend the extra time on them. After that, trust Anki to time things for you and get you the right number of repetitions. It may be there are some cards you only need to see 3x, while others you need to see 6. That's what the algorithms try to do for you. Set it for a reasonable minimum, and if you have extra energy, do more. When the exam gets close, do randomized Cram decks.

You don't need to go through it 5-6 times. Put things in one large decks (after TAGGING thoroughly), set the Learn interval to something less than 12hrs, and then review once in the morning, once at night. That will get things to 'Review' stage quickly, unless you need to spend the extra time on them. After that, trust Anki to time things for you and get you the right number of repetitions. It may be there are some cards you only need to see 3x, while others you need to see 6. That's what the algorithms try to do for you. Set it for a reasonable minimum, and if you have extra energy, do more. When the exam gets close, do randomized Cram decks.

Can you expand a little on what you mean by altering the "learn" interval to less than 12 hours?? Was playing around with the app to find this with no luck

Can you expand a little on what you mean by altering the "learn" interval to less than 12 hours?? Was playing around with the app to find this with no luck
See the first, explanatory post in this thread. All cards start out as 'New' cards, meaning Anki doesn't expect you to know them, and therefore it does not apply its spaced repetition algorithm to them. In order to turn a New card into a Review card (where Anki gradually increases the interval between times you see the card, based on how well you know it), it has to go through a Learning phase. In order to complete the Learning phase and 'graduate' to Review card status, Anki will show you the card in a series of fixed intervals and you have to get it right every time or else start over. Those are your learning steps/intervals, and they can be changed in the New card settings (first tab in Deck options). Of note, how often you get the card wrong during Learning and then whether you ever mark it Easy will affect how quickly your intervals grow once it becomes a Review card. For more details, check out the Anki manual or else the first post in this thread.

I recommend setting the Learn steps such that, if you miss the card, you see it again right away (1), if you get it right, you won't see it again during that review session, but you'll see it again if you do another review session later that day. That allows me to do a morning review session, where I go through all Due cards and all New cards until I get them right, and then another session whenever I have time later that day where I do all of the cards I just started Learning that morning and as many New cards as I have time for. If I get them right in the evening, those cards will all graduate into Review cards. If not, I'll see the card over again until I get it right, and then try to remember it again the next morning in order to graduate it. I find that 2hrs is a good step for this (so your Learning steps would be '1, 120'), but really anything longer than an hour and less than 12 would probably work.

See the first, explanatory post in this thread. All cards start out as 'New' cards, meaning Anki doesn't expect you to know them, and therefore it does not apply its spaced repetition algorithm to them. In order to turn a New card into a Review card (where Anki gradually increases the interval between times you see the card, based on how well you know it), it has to go through a Learning phase. In order to complete the Learning phase and 'graduate' to Review card status, Anki will show you the card in a series of fixed intervals and you have to get it right every time or else start over. Those are your learning steps/intervals, and they can be changed in the New card settings (first tab in Deck options). Of note, how often you get the card wrong during Learning and then whether you ever mark it Easy will affect how quickly your intervals grow once it becomes a Review card. For more details, check out the Anki manual or else the first post in this thread.

I recommend setting the Learn steps such that, if you miss the card, you see it again right away (1), if you get it right, you won't see it again during that review session, but you'll see it again if you do another review session later that day. That allows me to do a morning review session, where I go through all Due cards and all New cards until I get them right, and then another session whenever I have time later that day where I do all of the cards I just started Learning that morning and as many New cards as I have time for. If I get them right in the evening, those cards will all graduate into Review cards. If not, I'll see the card over again until I get it right, and then try to remember it again the next morning in order to graduate it. I find that 2hrs is a good step for this (so your Learning steps would be '1, 120'), but really anything longer than an hour and less than 12 would probably work.

Thank you so much! Extremely helpful, as always