Anki new cards piling up- problem, or normal?

Believeland29

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I checked this forum and went to different anki set-up forums and couldn't find much help with my question (maybe I just don't know how to best search it).

I am currently going through the Cheesy LY deck after watching related bnb videos. I find that, unless I do upwards of 100+ new cards a day, I am falling behind and not seeing new cards from bnb videos until 5 days after I watched the videos. By that point, I have lost all information I learned from the video and am teaching myself all over again. My current settings have new cards being presented randomly related to the order they were added, so sometimes a card will pop up, but I am worried that information is being buried and I won't get to it as I continue.

Is this a problem that I should fix, or is this pretty typical when going through these massive decks? I take Step in June, so I have time to fix my deck, just want to see if this is a common problem as I am relatively new to using pre-made decks. I have seen some people do cards immediately after videos, but I already have 1000+ new cards unsuspended, so I am worried its too late to start doing that. Thanks!

TL;DR- I am worried that some cards are being buried when I add new cards to my master deck and am having a hard time learning them. How do I prevent cards being buried not to be seen for a week, or is this common and acceptable?

Members don't see this ad.

So what I’m reading is you are watching BB, unlocking cards, but not getting to those cards in a timely manner? I always unlock and have new cards presented in order of the bb videos I watched, so I “reschedule end of new card deck”. This way I make sure I’m seeing cards in the order of the videos I watched to make sure I don’t miss anything.

I think at this point you either need to dedicate more time to Anki to complete all your cards, watch less videos ie add less new cards a day, or let it go all together. If you aren’t getting to all your cards everyday then I believe the benefit to the deck is lost.

However I dropped most of my basic physiology cards from zanki deck to make my deck more manageable too.

good luck on boards. I take mine in June too

Reactions: 1 user
The cards are your active learning. You should be prioritizing that. Do as many cards a day as you need to in order to finish by when you want to, and then supplement with videos. You might not watch a video on the same day you see those cards, but that doesn’t matter. It’s just for context.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what I’m reading is you are watching BB, unlocking cards, but not getting to those cards in a timely manner? I always unlock and have new cards presented in order of the bb videos I watched, so I “reschedule end of new card deck”. This way I make sure I’m seeing cards in the order of the videos I watched to make sure I don’t miss anything.

I think at this point you either need to dedicate more time to Anki to complete all your cards, watch less videos ie add less new cards a day, or let it go all together. If you aren’t getting to all your cards everyday then I believe the benefit to the deck is lost.

However I dropped most of my basic physiology cards from zanki deck to make my deck more manageable too.

good luck on boards. I take mine in June too
How do you reschedule the end of your new deck? I think a big reason is that a lot of my cards are biochem and its been tough to get through those since I don't have a strong background in all of that. In addition, my school has exams every two weeks so its tough to balance the new cards with passing exams

The cards are your active learning. You should be prioritizing that. Do as many cards a day as you need to in order to finish by when you want to, and then supplement with videos. You might not watch a video on the same day you see those cards, but that doesn’t matter. It’s just for context.
I personally don't find any benefit of doing anki without watching the video prior. So I might just have to dump some cards that have built up that are low yield. Thanks for the response, though

I personally don't find any benefit of doing anki without watching the video prior. So I might just have to dump some cards that have built up that are low yield. Thanks for the response, though

Eh, I think it might just seem weird at first. But anyone can do it. Videos are literally the most passive thing you can do.

Reactions: 1 users
How do you reschedule the end of your new deck? I think a big reason is that a lot of my cards are biochem and its been tough to get through those since I don't have a strong background in all of that. In addition, my school has exams every two weeks so its tough to balance the new cards with passing exams
So I have everything suspended and only unlock as I learn but then I select the new un-suspended cards, right click, hit reschedule, “place at end of new card queue” this way I see my first videos cards first and last video cards last.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I checked this forum and went to different anki set-up forums and couldn't find much help with my question (maybe I just don't know how to best search it).

I am currently going through the Cheesy LY deck after watching related bnb videos. I find that, unless I do upwards of 100+ new cards a day, I am falling behind and not seeing new cards from bnb videos until 5 days after I watched the videos. By that point, I have lost all information I learned from the video and am teaching myself all over again. My current settings have new cards being presented randomly related to the order they were added, so sometimes a card will pop up, but I am worried that information is being buried and I won't get to it as I continue.

Is this a problem that I should fix, or is this pretty typical when going through these massive decks? I take Step in June, so I have time to fix my deck, just want to see if this is a common problem as I am relatively new to using pre-made decks. I have seen some people do cards immediately after videos, but I already have 1000+ new cards unsuspended, so I am worried its too late to start doing that. Thanks!

TL;DR- I am worried that some cards are being buried when I add new cards to my master deck and am having a hard time learning them. How do I prevent cards being buried not to be seen for a week, or is this common and acceptable?

You may find yourself able to get through the cards faster by switching from “Random” to “Order Added.” You’ll have context, so the cards are easier to do. However, it could be argued that all of the context will defeat the purpose. I personally alternate between those two settings (but always “Order Added” for new cards).

If you’ve unsuspended so many cards that you’re unable to do the reviews, I don’t think you’ll be getting any benefit from Anki. The whole purpose is active recall.

I'm in the "video's first, cards after" camp. When I started med school I tried the whole "just do the cards" thing and it didn't work for me. I watch the vids, do the cards, then do the BNB quiz to make sure I learned what I needed. I feel like I zip through the cards after watching the video, so doing 200-300 new cards in a day isn't really a problem.

Set your a review timer to 10-15 seconds to auto reveal answers. Solved my review. Lights a fire under your ass haha.