Quantcast

Anki recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YayPudding

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi all,

So I've been making a lot of progress in school with flashcard based learning. I switched from Quizlet to Anki because their algorithm seems a little smarter. As we all know, Anki isn't very user friendly and I'm reaching out to see if any experts can recommend settings:

• Should I make one large deck for each test rather than individual ones for each class? Like "Exam 3" and put any and all exam 3 related cards in there?
  • What are the best settings for ingesting about 1000 cards in a few weeks?
  • Does anyone use close or reverse cards?
  • Any other general recommendations
Posting in both DO and MD, hope that's ok

Espressso

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First year here. I use it with the rogue memorization stuff. But I try to refrain from making too big of decks. I tend to break things up into either lectures or topics, and then I put small decks inside other decks and then I rifle through these small decks a few times a day.

Never heard of close or reverse cards though.

Reactions: 1 user
A

AnatomyGrey12

Never heard of close or reverse cards though

Look up "Cloze Deletion Anki". Your life will never be the same.

OP I only use Anki right now for the little facts that you just have to memorize. I do plan on using a pre-made deck for when we hit systems. I would follow the above advice, it's easy to get caught in the weeds making cards for every little detail on every slide so I would focus on not making your decks super big.

pseud0

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive decided anki for stuff like biochem is just not going to work for me. Too many cards are needed and drawing is important imo.

Anki is amazing for anatomy tho

Reactions: 1 users

68PGunner

I didn't use ANKI until the system curriculum. However, here're the tips in order to mix in both class work and board prep:

1) For each system, I would suspend all cards for Pathoma/Step 1 Organ and Sketchy/Zanki Pharm Organ decks
2) As I move through lectures as in skimming through the class ppt slides, I would browse key words in the lectures in order to un-suspend cards
3) Rule of thumb is to learn about 100-120 new cards for that organ w/ about 50-60 review cards from that organ block per day

So, this reinforces active learning as I'm learning the cards for each key concept while organizing my studying materials. Finally, I would listen to all MD/DO lectures at 2x speed even if you only learn about 4-5 new facts per lecture. I find listening to these lectures as a break from the real studying.

Reactions: 1 users

Spectreman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I use Anki almost exclusively to study. Look up the occlusion add-on and some videos on how to use it. I do one deck per lecture and use that as a way to plan out my exam prep. Typical tough class like Biochem or Anatomy has about 130 cards, mostly occlusion. I try really hard to be DONE making my decks at least two full days before the exam. Also, I recommend NOT sharing the work load of making the decks, because making them is half the learning process. If someone else makes the deck I'm wasting time interpreting their thought process instead of learning the material.

Anki is a lot of work, but totally worth it.

Thyr0id

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I make small decks in accordance to weekly material. I still review PowerPoints and our school as learning objectives which guide our studying so I throw those on anki sometimes too.

Don’t just use anki to study. I feel like using multiple study sources keeps it fresh and “fun.” I’d off myself if I just keep doing rote memorization flash cards every day

DrWhozits

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
First year here. I use it with the rogue memorization stuff. But I try to refrain from making too big of decks. I tend to break things up into either lectures or topics, and then I put small decks inside other decks and then I rifle through these small decks a few times a day.

Never heard of close or reverse cards though.

I hate when people grammar nazi, but I have a classmate who says this all the time and it drives me crazy.

The word you want is rote.

austintr

5000 candles in the wind
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate when people grammar nazi, but I have a classmate who says this all the time and it drives me crazy.

The word you want is rote.

I seem to have pretty significant rogue memory when it comes to biochem exams.

Also, what if EspressoDrip IS your classmate? Wouldn't that be awkward?

BorntobeDO?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like anki image occlusion, close is alright but it still requires typing. I like a nice picture of a slide with a key word blocked. Of course, if the slide sucks its right back to typing and you might as well do cloze

shadowlightfox

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't use ANKI until the system curriculum. However, here're the tips in order to mix in both class work and board prep:

1) For each system, I would suspend all cards for Pathoma/Step 1 Organ and Sketchy/Zanki Pharm Organ decks
2) As I move through lectures as in skimming through the class ppt slides, I would browse key words in the lectures in order to un-suspend cards
3) Rule of thumb is to learn about 100-120 new cards for that organ w/ about 50-60 review cards from that organ block per day

So, this reinforces active learning as I'm learning the cards for each key concept while organizing my studying materials. Finally, I would listen to all MD/DO lectures at 2x speed even if you only learn about 4-5 new facts per lecture. I find listening to these lectures as a break from the real studying.

I don't understand. How can you do only 50-60 review cards per day if you are also doing 100 new cards? That would mean next day it's at least around 150 review cards.

68PGunner

I don't understand. How can you do only 50-60 review cards per day if you are also doing 100 new cards? That would mean next day it's at least around 150 review cards.

I'm talking about a specific organ system block. So, let's say that you have 150 cards. You have learned about 150 cards that are due to review 1 day later. Tomorrow, you have an additional 100 cards. So you will review about 50-60 cards that won't be seen until 3-4 days later and learn about 100 cards. The point of the game is to not kill yourself with class reviews. You can catch up and power through like 200-300 cards review on Friday.

If you apply this concept to ANKI cards for an entire organ FA block which usually consists of about 500-800 cards for me, it will probably take be about 3-4 weeks to review through all of these cards assuming 50-60 reviews every day and put them into long term retention, as in 20-30 days span min. That's the point of space repetition in the first place.

Sometimes, it can get built up to like 400-500 reviews bc I'm busy with schoolwork. However, due to these facts being in long term memory, I can usually power through about 700-800 reviews in a day to catch up. It's a pain in the butt though, especially when you have the school wasting your time and forcing you to be in school for stupid stuff 4-5 days in a week

BorntobeDO?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about a specific organ system block. So, let's say that you have 150 cards. You have learned about 150 cards that are due to review 1 day later. Tomorrow, you have an additional 100 cards. So you will review about 50-60 cards that won't be seen until 3-4 days later and learn about 100 cards. The point of the game is to not kill yourself with class reviews. You can catch up and power through like 200-300 cards review on Friday.

If you apply this concept to ANKI cards for an entire organ FA block which usually consists of about 500-800 cards for me, it will probably take be about 3-4 weeks to review through all of these cards assuming 50-60 reviews every day and put them into long term retention, as in 20-30 days span min. That's the point of space repetition in the first place.

Sometimes, it can get built up to like 400-500 reviews bc I'm busy with schoolwork. However, due to these facts being in long term memory, I can usually power through about 700-800 reviews in a day to catch up. It's a pain in the butt though, especially when you have the school wasting your time and forcing you to be in school for stupid stuff 4-5 days in a week
Dude, they are not in long term memory just from one day. It takes like 5 or 6+ rounds spaced apart upto 20 days to get to that point. I understand what you are doing (or rather why, cause the reviews are a big drain), but you are defeating the purpose of ANKI doing that.

68PGunner

Dude, they are not in long term memory just from one day. It takes like 5 or 6+ rounds spaced apart upto 20 days to get to that point. I understand what you are doing (or rather why, cause the reviews are a big drain), but you are defeating the purpose of ANKI doing that.

I think you misunderstand me. I'm talking about it being matured long term cards when the cards are set 20-30 days apart based on my recall ability. It takes me about 4-5 weeks to get about 600-800 cards into the mature category.

Last edited by a moderator:

BorntobeDO?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think you misunderstand me. I'm talking about it being matured long term cards when the cards are set 20-30 days apart based on my recall ability. It takes me about 4-5 weeks to get about 600-800 cards into the mature category.
So to recap, you do about 100 new cards a day, only review 50, then do a bunch on Friday which is mostly mature cards? Seems to me that you are about 250+ short on 2nd round cards every week. Unless you are hitting easy all the time, I don't know how you could be putting so many in mature with so little review. Doing that little review you should have thousands of cards available to review at any time.

I mean you are doing good on Kaplan so it doesn't matter maybe, but something isn't clicking for me.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Using Anki for Anat, Cell bio, Physio and Histo/embryo. Takes time making the cards but def help with recalling.
I tried it for Biochem/genetics, but no use. Drawings on paper/white-board are much better in the long run for such classes.

My cards are usually from one exam to another, following a systems-based curriculum. I keep it to 100 cards (about 20 for each class) per day, where I would review half and do the other half the following morning. I then repeat them (all of it) from Fri-Sun (easily 8 hours total between those 3 days).

68PGunner

So to recap, you do about 100 new cards a day, only review 50, then do a bunch on Friday which is mostly mature cards? Seems to me that you are about 250+ short on 2nd round cards every week. Unless you are hitting easy all the time, I don't know how you could be putting so many in mature with so little review. Doing that little review you should have thousands of cards available to review at any time.

I mean you are doing good on Kaplan so it doesn't matter maybe, but something isn't clicking for me.

That schedule is reserved for my current class. I study primarily through board materials, so a lot of class stuff materials become automatic. My real schedule per day is like 150-200 new cards and about 400-500 reviews. For an class exam, I sometimes have like 200-250 cards for three weeks of classroom materials. As we go closer to exam date, I literally delete cards if the answer is just common sense to me.

It usually takes me about 4-5 consecutive reviews of a card in which I get the right answer in order to get that card to a 30 day review status.

Atom612

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like anki image occlusion, close is alright but it still requires typing. I like a nice picture of a slide with a key word blocked. Of course, if the slide sucks its right back to typing and you might as well do cloze

You could also just copy+paste from your lecture slides, then highlight the phrase you want to cloze and hit ctrl+shift+C. No typing necessary