Anki without spaced repetition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremdforme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of flashcards, and I'd like to use Anki because it will work on all of my devices. However, I hate spaced repetition! I prefer a system where I can flag cards I get wrong, and use those (and only those) to study for exams.

Is there a way to do this with Anki, or another software that is available on PC? (Preferably Mac and PC). I'm fine with paying for software as long as it's available on PC.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a huge fan of flashcards, and I'd like to use Anki because it will work on all of my devices. However, I hate spaced repetition! I prefer a system where I can flag cards I get wrong, and use those (and only those) to study for exams.

Is there a way to do this with Anki, or another software that is available on PC? (Preferably Mac and PC). I'm fine with paying for software as long as it's available on PC.

One of the themes of adult learning (and learning in general) is that the approach you prefer is usually not the most effective one.

Reactions: 4 users
One of the themes of adult learning (and learning in general) is that the approach you prefer is usually not the most effective one.
I used a program without spaced repetition last winter with great success. I only want to switch because I want to use a pc and the software is only for Mac.

I used Anki for the fall and found it less efficient.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Sure, just study all of the Anki cards and then build a Custom Study → Review Forgotten Cards deck for however many days out you want to be.

Or, as you study all of your Anki cards, Mark each one (hit * or the star in the upper right corner) that you get wrong and when you want to study for the exam, pull those out and study them.

Or, just search in the Browser for missed cards.

You can set up your intervals so that you only see them once, or you see them all every day, or whatever you want to do with it. Anki lets you do pretty much everything; if you want to 'hack' it to be utterly inefficient for the long term because your only goal is that exam, go for it. It seems like a waste of the effort put in making the cards you don't end up studying, but there you have it.

Anki's SRS setup is only inefficient if you are using it only for cramming. Then, I agree, there are faster ways to brute force everything in, as long as you're willing to forget it all later. The Custom Study modes let you use Anki for both purposes, which is what I prefer. If you're only using it to cram I don't see the point in investing the effort in those cards to begin with.

im not as well versed with anki so i dont understand what the other repliers are saying. btu basically i would just set my deck so that it tags a card as a leech if i miss it once. that way you can go into your browser and find all the leeches easily.

im not as well versed with anki so i dont understand what the other repliers are saying. btu basically i would just set my deck so that it tags a card as a leech if i miss it once. that way you can go into your browser and find all the leeches easily.
Yeah, you can do that too, I meant to write that above but forgot, thanks. There are a ton of options for doing what OP wants, it's just a strange thing to want.

Your best bet is to not use Anki if what you really want are digital flashcards. It is designed to be used as a temporal/spaced repetition. Repeating questions as necessarily and only when required to keep everything in a large subset of knowledge fresh.

There are some addons that allow you to reset the scheduling and learning. You could just do that to the deck every time and go through it fresh.
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1432861881

I wish I could be more helpful but I'm not super familiar with flashcard software but free stuff has to be out there somewhere.

Your best bet is to not use Anki if what you really want are digital flashcards. It is designed to be used as a temporal/spaced repetition. Repeating questions as necessarily and only when required to keep everything in a large subset of knowledge fresh.

There are some addons that allow you to reset the scheduling and learning. You could just do that to the deck every time and go through it fresh.
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1432861881

I wish I could be more helpful but I'm not super familiar with flashcard software but free stuff has to be out there somewhere.
He can do what he wants with Anki, even without extra tools. Anki is also free.
It's just not a good use of time to make the cards if you're not going to benefit from SRS.

When using spaced repetition on Anki, are you supposed to go through the card every day?

Quizlet let's do flag questions and go back to flagged questions... you can pay 20/year for spaced repetition but it seems you don't care about it!

When using spaced repetition on Anki, are you supposed to go through the card every day?
No, Anki takes care of the scheduling so that you see every card as often as you need to without going through every card every day.