Ankle Sprains

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fpr85

"newbie"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read that about 90% of ankle sprains are inversion sprains. Based on my understanding, when you invert your foot, your foot is pointing inward. The way I see it, most ankle sprains occur when the foot is suppinated. I've looked up inversion in several medical dictionaries, can someone please clarify its definition?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

recall that supination of the foot consists of inversion of the heel, adduction of the forefoot, and plantarflexion at the subtalar joint and midtarsal joints (so really inversion is a component of the suppination). the ankle/foot is tricky because it is difficult to isolate movements of the many joints. I believe some texts will equate supination with inversion as well but the sprain will almost always be described as inversion or eversion.

the anterior talofibular ligament is what takes the brunt of the force and is the most commonly torn/stretched ligament in this sprain and some texts will say it's the most commonly sprained ligament in the body.

-J

Thanks DOctor Jay.