Ankle injury

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kedhegard

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a patient today get a swollen ankle while playing kickball. She said she was running to second base, tripped, and her heel bent backward to touch her calf area. The attending saw her and sent her to the ER, but I was never able to catch back up with her to see what the diagnosis was.

My question is, what does this sound like to you? A simple sprain? Also, I seem to remember something about "hurts when I move it, doesn't hurt when I don't" scenarios, but I'm on psych right now and can't really remember all that.

Anyhow, thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

were x-rays taken? i'm under the impression children normally break bones before spraining ligaments. of course i'm assuming this is a pedi given kickball so age might help a bit too. i'm also assuming the mechanism of injury is excessive plantar flexion. is this correct?

-J

Could be a subtalar injury or calcaneal injury as well. Even a calcaneal fx possibly. So basically without more information than just the mechanism of injury we're out of luck.