Annoyed? I am!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poohbear

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone out there really sick of waiting?

I'm really sick of waiting. Waiting for interviews, waiting to hear back from interviews, waiting for the mail, waiting on wait-lists (grr, this is by far the worst waiting)...

I seem to be doing a whole lot of waiting which is really pissing me off.

Sorry, just needed to voice my frustration.

best,
poohbear.

Members don't see this ad.

Hehe, I hear ya. Aside from sending letters of interest, it's all out of our hands. Just find something to occupy your time...

i think i'm going to lose it if my friends keep asking me what i'm doing next year- "i'll know in march...i'll know in april...ok, i won't know until june or july...you know what, i have no idea".

bud

p.s. these are usually the friends who have had jobs lined up since october.

Members don't see this ad :)
The waiting game is pretty grueling. I'm just trying to have a positive attitude about waiting for responses and being stuck on waitlists. Right now, I just feel like I'm spinning around on waitlists and my fate is in the hands of others.

Yes, waiting is painful. If someday you find yourself faculty in a medical school and serve on or chair an admissions committee, you will understand the logistics from the other side of the process. Only then will you appreciate why medical school admissions is both so expensive and so time-consuming.

We could make it simpler and less expensive: Limit the number of applications to no more than 10 or 15 per student; in the UK five is the maximum. The students rank their choices of medical schools: first choice, second choice etc. After a deadline date, uniform for all medical schools, put all applicants names in a cental computer, rank order by grades and MCAT scores, treat applicants identically: no personal statements, no explanations, no interviews, ignore everything else, and by the next morning each medical school will have a class and a wait list, and you will know your exact status: accept (to whatever medical school came up numerically for you), where you may be on a wait list, or you were rejected outright from all.

And all medical schools compelled to work within a uniform time frame, no matter their resources.

Not fair, you say, let's give brownie points for college attended; I didn't fight my way in and pay to go to Harvard for nothing.
So now we have to have a numerical system for weighting college attended.

What about postbacs who had poor undergrad grades but now have all A grades, high MCAT scores, experience, maturity maybe?
OK, it seems reasonable to make adjustments for them.

What about "I worked 40 years a week while taking 18 credits a semester; I don't have all As, but my GPA and MCAT scores are good.
OK, lets make ....

And on and on!

Then after the dust has settled and you look around, What, that dork got into Harvard!!
What, she got into medical school; she cheated all the way through college.

Assume adjustments for all the reasons. Now we have to screen, to interview, to have meetings where we make decisions; humans not machines are involved. Decisions are made by humans, not machines. Faculty are not paid extra for serving on committees or interviewing, yet service on an adcom eats into time available for other responsibilties, including research and teaching, and being available for medical students.

Even with no adjustments of any kind, applications have to be submitted, transcripts and MCAT scores forwarded. Letters sent? Even if only electronically all this takes time. Firm deadlines for submission, no excuses accepted.

Make exceptions for this, that and the other and bibbity, bobbity, boo, what have we got?
The present system!

Time consuming, expensive, decisions which depend on human judgement, anxiety producing to the applicant.

I guess it won't help to tell you I'm still waiting to hear from some schools - 5 YEARS later! Yep - that's right. Some never bother to reply. Guess that means I didn't get in!

Same thing happened during residency applications. It still steams me, but at least THIS time I expected it.

Yes, Stinky, I guess I am going somewhere, but when you interview at schools you rather go to, and they WAITLIST you, it's like a big tease or something. *argh*!

best,
poohbear

Patience, Kimberli, patience. Penelope waited years for Odysseus to return, but return he did. Maybe your letter went on an odyssey of its own.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Teasing sucks. I will remember that from now on and try to minimize it in my daily life...
biggrin.gif

best,
poohbear