Another Adcom, ask me (almost) anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
me? i don't think any medical profession is particularly more "looked down" upon than any other. if it is, then the ADCOM is ridiculous.
No no no I meant does OP still think it may be looked down if the area he's interested in is tied up with one of the most prestigious specialties out there

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro, will applicants be at a disadvantage for the upcoming cycle (2015) if they were to apply with the new 2015 MCAT score?

Will they be compared against old MCAT'ers percentile-wise, or will the new MCAT'ers be compared within their own pool?

Thanks!

Nope. We know you're change your mind by year MS4. But gunning for the lucre fields like plastics or derm tends to turn off people, especially at the more mission-based schools.

I really want to be a sports medicine doctor because I love sports and nothing would make me happier than being able t to help athletes get their health in order and return to the field.
Will adcoms look down upon sports medicine aspirations, since it is not dealing with life-and-death conditions such as oncology does?

Nope. If anything, it will take a few years for us to get used ot the new MCAT, because right now, no one knows what the numbers will mean!
will applicants be at a disadvantage for the upcoming cycle (2015) if they were to apply with the new 2015 MCAT score?
Will they be compared against old MCAT'ers percentile-wise, or will the new MCAT'ers be compared within their own pool?

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, thank you very much for all that you bring to this forum, it is truly appreciated by us all.

My question is whether taking a single pre-req at a local CC over the summer is a no-g0. By taking General Chemistry II over the summer, I will be back on the traditional track which would do wonders for my anxiety :nod:. However, if this in any way puts me at a disadvantage I will delay and plan on taking a gap year. I understand that taking multiple pre-reqs at a CC over the summer looks bad because it seems like you are evading difficult courses at your university, but would taking one to get back on track be bad? Especially if I go on to do well in Orgo?

Thank you so much for your time.

First off, thank you very much for all that you bring to this forum, it is truly appreciated by us all.

My question is whether taking a single pre-req at a local CC over the summer is a no-g0. By taking General Chemistry II over the summer, I will be back on the traditional track which would do wonders for my anxiety :nod:. However, if this in any way puts me at a disadvantage I will delay and plan on taking a gap year. I understand that taking multiple pre-reqs at a CC over the summer looks bad because it seems like you are evading difficult courses at your university, but would taking one to get back on track be bad? Especially if I go on to do well in Orgo?

Thank you so much for your time.
Wow hm based on your avatar I wonder which UG you go to :pompous:

Nope. If anything, it will take a few years for us to get used ot the new MCAT, because right now, no one knows what the numbers will mean!
will applicants be at a disadvantage for the upcoming cycle (2015) if they were to apply with the new 2015 MCAT score?

If no one knows what the numbers might mean (for a couple of years), then will interviews/spots potentially be given to those with a high old-MCAT score first before they look into the new MCAT'ers batch? Basically, will students that take the old MCAT be given priority over those that take the new MCAT, since they have a good idea of what classifies as a "solid" score for the old mcat?

I doubt that the old MCAT scores will give people a leg up over the new ones, especially since we'll at least be able to see how people do as a percentile of total test takers. Naturally, those who score well above the median will be the ones who get first crack at IIs, whether it's the old or new MCAT.

If no one knows what the numbers might mean (for a couple of years), then will interviews/spots potentially be given to those with a high old-MCAT score first before they look into the new MCAT'ers batch? Basically, will students that take the old MCAT be given priority over those that take the new MCAT, since they have a good idea of what classifies as a "solid" score for the old mcat?

My pleasure, but kudos go to Hushcom for starting this thread and working so much through it. I'm just an interloper here.

Some schools will not accept CC credits for pre-reqs, having the feeling that you're avoiding your UGs more rigorous weeding courses. You'll need to see who does and who doesn't have this mindset. I, for one, have no problem with CC coursework.

I don't know what interview format you use, but I was wondering if any med school faculty have commented on the MMI. Particularly, I am wondering if there have been any noticeable differences in the classes recruited using this method for schools who have done it for more than a couple years.

PubMed "MMI and medical school" You may need to exclude "residency" from the search parameter to clean up the results.

I don't know what interview format you use, but I was wondering if any med school faculty have commented on the MMI. Particularly, I am wondering if there have been any noticeable differences in the classes recruited using this method for schools who have done it for more than a couple years.

PubMed "MMI and medical school" You may need to exclude "residency" from the search parameter to clean up the results.

Stanford cites this report in their justification for using the MMI. It's from McMaster University, the folks who gave us the MMI: http://peds.stanford.edu/faculty-resources/documents/MedSchoolAdmissions.whatpredictssuccess.pdf

Key sentence: "The MMI has consistently shown statistically significant, practically relevant, positive predictive correlations with future performance."

Reactions: 2 users
@Goro or any other adcoms that would be kind enough to share their thoughts, what is your opinion of resident assistant (RA) as an extra-curricular/job? It's quite a time commitment and I know it's not medically relevant, but I believe I have become a more accountable, more responsible individual by holding this position.

@Goro or any other adcoms that would be kind enough to share their thoughts, what is your opinion of resident assistant (RA) as an extra-curricular/job? It's quite a time commitment and I know it's not medically relevant, but I believe I have become a more accountable, more responsible individual by holding this position.
Not an adcom, but I graduated from Wash U, and basically most of our strongest applicants were RA's for 1-2 years. It's definitely an excellent leadership position to have. At my school, RA's had to do way more than just write people up for alcohol issues. RA's also had to be guidance counselors, mentors within the community, and advocates of social justice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Institutional action question: 4 IAs; 2 freshman year, wrong place wrong time due to strict school policy (friend had beer in fridge 2x and RAs came to room for noise violation, they are required to search the room). Got written up for being there. 1 time for trying marijuana in the college dorms freshman year -_-. Last one was this year, was off campus with friends during freshman orientation weekend and came to campus with a beer (I'm a senior). 3.3GPA with upward trend from 2.4 freshman year, projected 3.5 with straight As this year. Low-mid 30s MCAT. Do the IAs ruin my chances, even though 2 were bad timing scenarios?
I'm sure it's difficult to accept but you got your answer in the other thread

Not an adcom, but I graduated from Wash U, and basically most of our strongest applicants were RA's for 1-2 years. It's definitely an excellent leadership position to have. At my school, RA's had to do way more than just write people up for alcohol issues. RA's also had to be guidance counselors, mentors within the community, and advocates of social justice.
Thanks for the response and I'm glad you think that way. I'll admit it is quite a unique position in the sense that any given day is completely unpredictable. You might not have any issues one day, then the next you might be helping a student who's struggling with why they even came to college and why they should even keep trying. And if you are an RA yourself I'm sure you're very familiar with the "fishbowl" analogy.

As mentioned above, you got you answer in your other thread. Joining the military and having a solid prolonged period of exemplary behavior and responsibility will work to diminish the effect of these IAs. But as of right now, you are NOT getting into medical school.

Institutional action question: 4 IAs; 2 freshman year, wrong place wrong time due to strict school policy (friend had beer in fridge 2x and RAs came to room for noise violation, they are required to search the room). Got written up for being there. 1 time for trying marijuana in the college dorms freshman year -_-. Last one was this year, was off campus with friends during freshman orientation weekend and came to campus with a beer (I'm a senior). 3.3GPA with upward trend from 2.4 freshman year, projected 3.5 with straight As this year. Low-mid 30s MCAT. Do the IAs ruin my chances, even though 2 were bad timing scenarios?

Reactions: 1 user
Regarding English pre-reqs, I have 3 credits of intro English but I know lots of medical schools need 6 credits. It might be a tough semester in the spring for me if I had to take another 3 credit course while studying for the MCAT2015. I COULD move a human nutrition biochem class a semester back because I heard extra classes don't help much in preparing for the MCAT (?).

But my question is: Can I take it during my senior year? Does it matter when it is? Or do I need it before I start applying...

Thank you!

Thanks for the response and I'm glad you think that way. I'll admit it is quite a unique position in the sense that any given day is completely unpredictable. You might not have any issues one day, then the next you might be helping a student who's struggling with why they even came to college and why they should even keep trying. And if you are an RA yourself I'm sure you're very familiar with the "fishbowl" analogy.
I was not an RA, but yes, my RA friends had to deal with all of that crap on an almost weekly basis.

@Goro I know both matter, but hypothetically which would you prefer: 3.9 GPA/26 MCAT, or 3.4/30 MCAT
Consensus seems to be it really depends case by case, no broad generalizations.

Would you recommend repeating C pluses in Gen chem 1 and 2 freshman year if you go on to get A's in orgo? I'm worried that as a Philosophy major it will be hard to bring my sGPA up high enough at the end if 4 years. I plan in taking a gap year or 2 after undergrad.

Would you recommend repeating C pluses in Gen chem 1 and 2 freshman year if you go on to get A's in orgo? I'm worried that as a Philosophy major it will be hard to bring my sGPA up high enough at the end if 4 years. I plan in taking a gap year or 2 after undergrad.
Idk if @Goro agrees, but it would be more advantageous to take 1-2 upper levels to show that you can handle the hard sciences rather than retaking old sh*it.

Both would be interviewed....you can't engage in this type of fool's errand.

Our Dean would prefer the higher MCAT person at my school. I'd accept both.

@Goro I know both matter, but hypothetically which would you prefer: 3.9 GPA/26 MCAT, or 3.4/30 MCAT

Depends upon what your GPA is. If everything else if fine, then the C+s aren't an issue.

How much weight is put on an upward trend? Say my GPA after graduation will be 3.63 or so (cumulative and science) but my last 4 semesters are 3.8+. Would i have a good chance at school with a median matriculant gpa around 3.7?

so say we get an interview to a school early in the application cycle (around September interview). does an earlier interview mean greater % of interviewees accepted from that interview group versus the overall % of interviewees accepted for the whole cycle?

Last edited:
Are MD/PhD applications reviewed on a different schedule from MD applications? Obviously it depends on the school, but I wonder if you have any insight into the internal differences between the MD and MD/PhD review process.

Upward trends are always good, ans a number of schools come out and say so on their Admissions websites or in MSAR, like saying they weight more heavily the last 2-3 years of one's transcripts.

How much weight is put on an upward trend? Say my GPA after graduation will be 3.63 or so (cumulative and science) but my last 4 semesters are 3.8+. Would i have a good chance at school with a median matriculant gpa around 3.7?

I believe that they are, and that MD/PhD candidates are selected from among the top of all MD school candidates.

Are MD/PhD applications reviewed on a different schedule from MD applications? Obviously it depends on the school, but I wonder if you have any insight into the internal differences between the MD and MD/PhD review process.

In my experience, yes. When we get later into the cycle, we get more picky.
so say we get an interview to a school early in the application cycle (around September interview). does an earlier interview mean greater % of interviewees accepted from that interview group versus the overall % of interviewees accepted for the whole cycle?

I've got a question.

I'm applying to medical school this cycle and have been working full-time as an Emergency Scribe since graduating this past June. My original plan was to do this my entire gap year. The learning experience has been great, but I am very frustrated with the amount of time I am spending commuting to and from work (nearly 2 hrs). To add to that, I am consistently scheduled at all different times of the day and night, and it's really taxing me mentally. It has been quite a distraction for my secondaries, because I find myself mentally and physically-exhausted so often. Unfortunately, the Scribe company will not allow me to transfer to a facility closer to my home.

My question to you is this: if I quit my work as an Emergency Scribe 3.5 months into the job will it reflect negatively on me in interview(s)? Will schools view me as somebody who is not committed to medicine or as a person in general? I believe that the (a) 2 hours commute time and (b) financial commitment (because I spend a lot of money on fuel) are valid reasons for leaving the job. I would not mention the erratic hours because that would cast doubt given how in medical school and residency students must be able to perform through erratic schedules.

My alternative plan is to start volunteering at a couple local hospitals maybe 3 days a week, and spend another day tutoring high school kids. This would allow me to work regular hours and have a reasonable commute, while still having some exposure to medicine and community service. I know that volunteering at a hospital is not as advantageous as being a Scribe, but it still offers some benefits. The tutoring is something I have always wanted to do, because I know that a lot of kids are born into situations where they do not have much support for an education at home and need a mentor to help them succeed in school. I feel that the rest of the ECs I had on my Primary Application are strong and unique.

So everybody, what are your thoughts on my situation? Would it look bad for me to quit 3.5 months into this Scribe job? Is my reasoning for leaving legitimate? I am debating whether or not to pull the trigger on leaving this job. I'd like to finalize my decision sometime this week.

Thank you.

Last edited:
No

My question to you is this: if I quit my work as an Emergency Scribe 3.5 months into the job will it reflect negatively on me in interview(s)?

No. Work ethic is another story, but having once had to commute 90 mins one way to work, commuting gets old really quick, and so i'd have a lot of sympathy for you, once you explain.

Will schools view me as somebody who is not committed to medicine or as a person in general? I believe that the (a) 2 hours commute time and (b) financial commitment (because I spend a lot of money on fuel) are valid reasons for leaving the job. I would not mention the erratic hours because that would cast doubt given how in medical school and residency students must be able to perform through erratic schedules.

This is a sound plan.
My alternative plan is to start volunteering at a couple local hospitals maybe 3 days a week, and spend another day tutoring high school kids. This would allow me to work regular hours and have a reasonable commute, while still having some exposure to medicine and community service. I know that volunteering at a hospital is not as advantageous as being a Scribe, but it still offers some benefits. The tutoring is something I have always wanted to do, because I know that a lot of kids are born into situations where they do not have much support for an education at home and need a mentor to help them succeed in school. I feel that the rest of the ECs I had on my Primary Application are strong and unique.

So I interviewed at a school for the MD program about a month ago and they will let me know on October 15th. However, two days ago they sent me another interview for a combined degree program for January but they say you have to be accepted to the MD program to be allowed into a combined degree program. Does this mean I am accepted? Or would my interview for the combined degree program just be taken away if I am rejected from the MD on the 15th......

Haha funny how this thread has turned into an AMA with Goro.

Our Dean would prefer the higher MCAT person at my school. I'd accept both.

Goro, just to clarify are you saying if someone does well in both interviews but have below average MCATs the Dean can step in and say they wont accept this person? Or put on an alternate list? Seems like a waste of an interview for that person if they are just going there to get wait-listed?

Have you ever had to "fight" with the dean to accept someone?

@Goro Hi, thank you sooo much for taking the time to answer our questions.

This is my situation: I have been working as a Clinical Research Coordinator for about 4 years now, 40 hours a week while going to school. I was not firm on my decision to become a doctor until three semesters ago. I haven't had that much time available for community service, except for one time events which currently add up to about ~20 hours. My job has been a very determinant factor in my decision to become a doctor. I have had the chance to interact with patients from all kind of backgrounds. I also get the chance to observe medical procedures. I am a phlebotomist, have learned how to take vital signs, do spirometries, do ECGs. I have shadowed physical examinations and worked closely with my PI in all aspects of clinical research. Additionally, I get to work directly in the collection and processing of clinical data. Just recently, I received a promotion to Director of Clinical Operations, which is more of a supervising role, and allows me to test my skills as a team leader. I will start volunteering at a near by hospital about 3 hrs a week, since I have work or school the rest of the time. My question is, what kind of experience would my job BEST listed as (i.e. leadership, clinical exposure, clinical research, etc.)?

Also, would it look bad that (due to having changed my mind halfway through undergraduate) I take ~6 years to complete my undergraduate education?

Thank you in advance. I apologize for the lengthy introduction.

You haven't been accepted yet, and this sounds like the school wants to mine you for another $15-20K.

So I interviewed at a school for the MD program about a month ago and they will let me know on October 15th. However, two days ago they sent me another interview for a combined degree program for January but they say you have to be accepted to the MD program to be allowed into a combined degree program. Does this mean I am accepted? Or would my interview for the combined degree program just be taken away if I am rejected from the MD on the 15th......

At our school, this happens. The Adcom is really advisory, and the Dean sometimes overrules us. Not that common, mercifully. A friend of mine once told me that at one of the Midwestern DO schools, the Faculty threatened to resign en masse if the Dean didn't quit mucking around with their decisions! He backed down after that.

I haven't gone to our Dean over a candidate, but I have colleagues who have.

Goro, just to clarify are you saying if someone does well in both interviews but have below average MCATs the Dean can step in and say they wont accept this person? Or put on an alternate list? Seems like a waste of an interview for that person if they are just going there to get wait-listed?
Have you ever had to "fight" with the dean to accept someone
?

I don't know if you got a chance to read my earlier post, but I'll repost it here in case you get a chance to take a look:
What is your opinion of resident assistant (RA) as an extra-curricular/job? It's quite a time commitment and I know it's not medically relevant, but I believe I have become a more accountable, more responsible individual by holding this position.

I'm hoping that adcoms consider it a bit unique because maybe it doesn't fit the cookie-cutter mold, but maybe it's more common than I thought.

Sorry about the oversight; I think it's good evidence of responsibility.

I don't know if you got a chance to read my earlier post, but I'll repost it here in case you get a chance to take a look:
What is your opinion of resident assistant (RA) as an extra-curricular/job? It's quite a time commitment and I know it's not medically relevant, but I believe I have become a more accountable, more responsible individual by holding this position.

I'm hoping that adcoms consider it a bit unique because maybe it doesn't fit the cookie-cutter mold, but maybe it's more common than I thought.

Sorry about the oversight; I think it's good evidence of responsibility.
Thanks! As 6/1/2015 gets closer the excitement but also anxiety of sending out apps steadily grows, and your work on here has done an excellent job mitigating that anxiety.

I think mine may have been missed too?

Regarding English pre-reqs, I have 3 credits of intro English and 3 elective from AP, but I know lots of medical schools need 6 credits writing. It might be a tough semester in the spring for me if I had to take another 3 credit course while studying for the MCAT2015. I COULD move a human nutrition biochem class a semester back because I heard extra classes don't help much in preparing for the MCAT (?).

But my question is: Can I take it during my senior year? Does it matter when it is? Or do I need it before I start applying...

Thanks for any advice!

how many shadowing hours do you generally like to see?

what do you mean by a "personality disorder" being on display during interviews?

I am a practicing physician who serves on the admissions committee of an allopathic medical school in the United States. I am also not new to SDN, having seen the cast of characters evolve here over a number of years. Some recent threads in the pre-allo forum have compelled me to start this one. While I am not a longstanding and venerated member of the committee, perhaps someone will find my two cents useful and/or interesting.

So please, have at it.

Hello OP,

So I would consider myself a nontrad, finished undergrad in a challenging science major with ~2.9, went straight to grad school in an established SMP and finished with +3.8. I scored a well balanced 33 my one time taking the MCAT. I have a lot of ECs and have held several research positions at top tier institutions. I sent in all my secondaries early July-August, and I only received one interview so far. Should I expect to receive more interviews or should I be content with just one?

As for schools I applied to, I went all over.
IS Texas (haven't heard a thing yet)
Schools ranging from Duke - BU - Drexel

At least 10, but I've seen as little as 4. I believe U WA requires at least 40!
how many shadowing hours do you generally like to see?

I believe that med schools are OK with you deferring a pre-req until the senior year. Best to aks of Admissions deans at the schools you're interested in, just to be sure.
Regarding English pre-reqs, I have 3 credits of intro English and 3 elective from AP, but I know lots of medical schools need 6 credits writing. It might be a tough semester in the spring for me if I had to take another 3 credit course while studying for the MCAT2015. I COULD move a human nutrition biochem class a semester back because I heard extra classes don't help much in preparing for the MCAT (?).

An example is people who have a flat effect...completely devoid of emotion, like they're taking psychoactive medications. I've have some people cop an attitude during interviews, definitely a no-no.
what do you mean by a "personality disorder" being on display during interviews?

Truly depends upon where you applied to. There are schools that value reinvention (when combined with a great MCAT score). I think you should be optimistic. Hopefully Tulane was one of the schools?
So I would consider myself a nontrad, finished undergrad in a challenging science major with ~2.9, went straight to grad school in an established SMP and finished with +3.8. I scored a well balanced 33 my one time taking the MCAT. I have a lot of ECs and have held several research positions at top tier institutions. I sent in all my secondaries early July-August, and I only received one interview so far. Should I expect to receive more interviews or should I be content with just one?

Hi, you might have overlooked my previous question :)

@Goro Hi, thank you sooo much for taking the time to answer our questions.

This is my situation: I have been working as a Clinical Research Coordinator for about 4 years now, 40 hours a week while going to school. I was not firm on my decision to become a doctor until three semesters ago. I haven't had that much time available for community service, except for one time events which currently add up to about ~20 hours. My job has been a very determinant factor in my decision to become a doctor. I have had the chance to interact with patients from all kind of backgrounds. I also get the chance to observe medical procedures. I am a phlebotomist, have learned how to take vital signs, do spirometries, do ECGs. I have shadowed physical examinations and worked closely with my PI in all aspects of clinical research. Additionally, I get to work directly in the collection and processing of clinical data. Just recently, I received a promotion to Director of Clinical Operations, which is more of a supervising role, and allows me to test my skills as a team leader. I will start volunteering at a near by hospital about 3 hrs a week, since I have work or school the rest of the time. My question is, what kind of experience would my job BEST listed as (i.e. leadership, clinical exposure, clinical research, etc.)?

Also, would it look bad that (due to having changed my mind halfway through undergraduate) I take ~6 years to complete my undergraduate education?

Thank you in advance. I apologize for the lengthy introduction.

Clinical exposure/patient contact

No

I just got my MCAT score back recently and its a 32 (10,11,11). I feel i have the potential for a 34/35 but I don't know if its worth it. I suppose the 11 on verbal is somewhat higher than average if that counts for anything for some schools. I currently have a 3.59cGPA and ~3.55sGPA going into my third year and will raise it to 3.7+ by the time i graduate. I really want to get into a slightly higher end mid tier school like Dartmouth or UCSD but I don't know if a retake to a 34 will help me enough to warrant a another study session. Thanks!

I just got my MCAT score back recently and its a 32 (10,11,11). I feel i have the potential for a 34/35 but I don't know if its worth it. I suppose the 11 on verbal is somewhat higher than average if that counts for anything for some schools. I currently have a 3.59cGPA and ~3.55sGPA going into my third year and will raise it to 3.7+ by the time i graduate. I really want to get into a slightly higher end mid tier school like Dartmouth or UCSD but I don't know if a retake to a 34 will help me enough to warrant a another study session. Thanks!

3.8 GPA and 32 MCAT here. Interviewing at Dartmouth in a couple weeks. A 32 is a good score, retaking to get a 34, if you'd even be able to do that, is not a good idea.

Reactions: 3 users
32 to 34 is insignificant. Puts you in the same ballpark area. Waste of time. Premeds think every point on the MCAT is worth fighting for. It's not.