Another Adcom, ask me (almost) anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,

I have two questions. To give context, I'm currently a graduate student at a top private research university, thinking about med school and taking the science pre-requisites alongside my degree requirements (some of which count as my free electives). I would be applying for entry in 2017.

The first is about ECs. My college major itself (music performance) could be seen as some as an EC. I can't really say that I have pursued anything else long-term aside from this, but I did win major and international awards, competitions, fellowships, etc... and went Juilliard for undergrad. However, since it has been more of a career path rather than an EC, I wonder what I could put down for that section. While in college, I did had two on-campus front desk jobs which I kept for 3 years (working 10-15 hrs/wk), a part-time job in a symphony that required me to travel 2-3 hours each way, 4 nights a week, once a month or so. I hope to start doing clinical volunteering this coming calendar year, but I can't imagine being able to devote too much time to this considering I am a full-time grad student and taking 2-3 science classes on top of that. Do you think my lack of ECs would be a red flag to a committee? It seems that everybody else did so much more, and I'm not sure how they found the time.

The second is about coursework. Given that I will only complete the minimum requirements, do you think it would be better to stick with intro level courses, such as Calc I, Intro Bio, etc... or it would be significantly better to challenge myself and take harder classes. I took a lot of AP classes, even though I do not have AP credit for these since my undergraduate school did not give credit for these. As a grad student, I can take any class I want regardless of pre-requisites. I want to take upper-level classes because they look more interesting, I would rather learn new material, and they actually fit my schedule better, but I wonder if it's worth risking it if it makes no difference to a committee.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro or @hushcom, how are the levels of competitiveness for candidates who interview later in the season (post January 1st)? I thought I was done with interviewing for awhile after my last one this month, but I am now going to have another interview after the new year. Will I still meet plenty of fellow interviewees who are confident, smart, accomplished, and strong candidates for admission? Or is there a possibility that I will meet mostly candidates who are lackluster compared to those who interview earlier? This question is based off the fact that those who interview early during the season for any given school are usually superstar applicants or otherwise highly competitive for that school.

The first month or two do seem to be star studded, but there are so many strong applicants that we see many highly qualified individuals right up to the last interview day. Do not assume you will be among a bunch of mouth breathers just because it's late in the season.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dear @Goro or @hushcom

When is it time to start worrying about reapplying? I applied very broadly (21 schools, both MD and DO). I've been very fortunate to receive 8 ii. However, I've been waitlisted at one and deferred to later meetings at 2 others. I am still waiting to hear from 3 post ii, and have 3 interviews in January. I've been rejected pre-ii from 2 schools.

The reason I am so worried is because my GPA is very low (cgpa 3.4, sgpa 3.3, grad GPA from a non-smp hard science program 3.8). My mcat is average at 31 (9 ps 11 v 11 bs) .I am considering submitting more do apps after finals (lecom, western) which I didn't submit earlier because I ran out if funds.

Any advice? Many thanks!!!

This may sound cynical, but it is advisable to start thinking of contingencies from day one. Statistically you still have very good odds, though, and it only takes one. Just sit tight and see how January treats you.

Reactions: 1 users
The first month or two do seem to be star studded, but there are so many strong applicants that we see many highly qualified individuals right up to the last interview day. Do not assume you will be among a bunch of mouth breathers just because it's late in the season.
Thanks for the response! I did not mean to offend anyone by my question.

How do you view an applicant who doesn't have much community service, but instead has a lot of time devoted towards TAing classes and research? I only have 1 semester where I volunteered in a hospital for 4 hrs a week, and the rest of my ECs are centered around TAing (have TA'd for 3 classes so far) and research (two summers, one semester).

I feel like my time is better spent TAing than volunteering in the hospital, honestly, but I realize that it may not help me when I am applying.

Why do you want to be a doctor?

Hello,

I have two questions. To give context, I'm currently a graduate student at a top private research university, thinking about med school and taking the science pre-requisites alongside my degree requirements (some of which count as my free electives). I would be applying for entry in 2017.

The first is about ECs. My college major itself (music performance) could be seen as some as an EC. I can't really say that I have pursued anything else long-term aside from this, but I did win major and international awards, competitions, fellowships, etc... and went Juilliard for undergrad. However, since it has been more of a career path rather than an EC, I wonder what I could put down for that section. While in college, I did had two on-campus front desk jobs which I kept for 3 years (working 10-15 hrs/wk), a part-time job in a symphony that required me to travel 2-3 hours each way, 4 nights a week, once a month or so. I hope to start doing clinical volunteering this coming calendar year, but I can't imagine being able to devote too much time to this considering I am a full-time grad student and taking 2-3 science classes on top of that. Do you think my lack of ECs would be a red flag to a committee? It seems that everybody else did so much more, and I'm not sure how they found the time.

The second is about coursework. Given that I will only complete the minimum requirements, do you think it would be better to stick with intro level courses, such as Calc I, Intro Bio, etc... or it would be significantly better to challenge myself and take harder classes. I took a lot of AP classes, even though I do not have AP credit for these since my undergraduate school did not give credit for these. As a grad student, I can take any class I want regardless of pre-requisites. I want to take upper-level classes because they look more interesting, I would rather learn new material, and they actually fit my schedule better, but I wonder if it's worth risking it if it makes no difference to a committee.

Thanks!

Based on what you have shared, you have some things going for you and a few pitfalls to avoid.

The good news is that music at your level takes a lot of dedication and skill, which speaks very well of your personal qualities. It will also help you stand out a bit from the seemingly endless cadre of 21-year-old biology majors.

The pitfall is that I would consider you essentially a nontrad career changer, and will therefore have to demonstrate two things: 1) that you are now genuinely dedicated to pursuing medicine, and 2) that you can hack the science.

I would not recommend taking upper level courses based on prior AP classes. That is a serious recipe for disaster, one which many before you have fallen into and never recovered from. A more sound plan would be to focus on acing the prereqs and prepare thoroughly for the MCAT.

It will also be absolutely necessary for you to make a compelling case for choosing medicine. That clinical volunteering you mention is not an annoying box to check, it's the root note of the chord.

If/when the time comes, I would select several of your most cherished musical honors and include them as individual entries in the experience part of AMCAS. That should be sufficient.

Reactions: 1 user
Will not being involved in any clubs on my campus hurt my application substantially? Most of my EC's are off campus such as EMT, hospital and clinic volunteering, research...

Will not being involved in any clubs on my campus hurt my application substantially? Most of my EC's are off campus such as EMT, hospital and clinic volunteering, research...

No.

Why do you want to be a doctor?

Well I like the idea of helping/teaching people who seek help and are in need of it. For awhile, I was thinking that teaching was something that I might want to pursue as a career since I liked it so much, but I realized that when professors teach a class (or teachers for that matter), most of the people being taught to don't really care. Comparatively, the only people who seek help from doctors are those who actually care about their health and are willing to learn.

Well I like the idea of helping/teaching people who seek help and are in need of it. For awhile, I was thinking that teaching was something that I might want to pursue as a career since I liked it so much, but I realized that when professors teach a class (or teachers for that matter), most of the people being taught to don't really care. Comparatively, the only people who seek help from doctors are those who actually care about their health and are willing to learn.
This is not always true. You are not accounting for non-compliant patients or drug-seekers. Some patients refuse to listen to the doctor's advice even after multiple visits for the same symptoms. Others fake pain and symptoms so they can score some narcotics. I see this on an almost daily basis in my work as an ED scribe.

Unfortunately you are in for a rather rude awakening. Patients come from all backgrounds and for many reasons, ranging from routine care to transient complaints to chronic diseases to terminal illnesses. Until you get some good clinical exposure I am not sure you have any idea what is waiting for you. Some people are energized by homeless drug addicts vomiting blood on them, others run screaming. You need to find out for yourself.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just want to welcome @hushcom back! The more Adcoms come here to give input, the merrier for sure. Thank you all!

This is not always true. You are not accounting for non-compliant patients or drug-seekers. Some patients refuse to listen to the doctor's advice even after multiple visits for the same symptoms. Others fake pain and symptoms so they can score some narcotics. I see this on an almost daily basis in my work as an ED scribe.
Unfortunately you are in for a rather rude awakening. Patients come from all backgrounds and for many reasons, ranging from routine care to transient complaints to chronic diseases to terminal illnesses. Until you get some good clinical exposure I am not sure you have any idea what is waiting for you. Some people are energized by homeless drug addicts vomiting blood on them, others run screaming. You need to find out for yourself.

I was afraid that my lack of clinical exposure would be the main issue and I agree that there's probably a lot for me to learn and see before diving into medicine. What kind of clinical experience would you recommend to get good exposure? I've volunteered at the hospital for three summers in high school, as well as that semester in college I mentioned, but don't feel like I've really experienced what it's really like (positives/negatives) of being a doctor. Perhaps a hospice?

I was afraid that my lack of clinical exposure would be the main issue and I agree that there's probably a lot for me to learn and see before diving into medicine. What kind of clinical experience would you recommend to get good exposure? I've volunteered at the hospital for three summers in high school, as well as that semester in college I mentioned, but don't feel like I've really experienced what it's really like (positives/negatives) of being a doctor. Perhaps a hospice?
Hospice is good clinical experience, but it doesn't show you nearly enough of the scope of what medicine is like. I would recommend becoming an ED scribe because it puts you directly at the physician's side and you see exactly how medical-decision making works and what a typical high-stress, fast-paced medical environment is like.

Hospice is good clinical experience, but it doesn't show you nearly enough of the scope of what medicine is like. I would recommend becoming an ED scribe because it puts you directly at the physician's side and you see exactly how medical-decision making works and what a typical high-stress, fast-paced medical environment is like.

Scribing is definitely great experience since it lets you see a wide scope of patients, learn A LOT about the documentation process that doctors use regularly/use it, and see the medical decision making process in action (as was said before). It gets your feet wet in the door in a clinical environment and you see what it's like working in a hospital for a significant period of time.

It doesn't show you everything though and that's where I feel shadowing comes in. Yeah, the ED has some drug seekers and non-compliant patients, but it doesn't give you a complete picture of the scope of medicine on its own. From my experiences, the patients that an ED in an urban environment gets is often different from say a surgeon or PCP in a suburban environment. The things each type of physician does on a daily basis is also often different.

If you supplement a clinical experience that you actually do something (like scribing, hospice, or perhaps hospital volunteering that gets your feet feet) with physician shadowing in different specialties (that broadens your knowledge of the scope of medicine) and use them to help describe your interests in medicine effectively, I feel like that should put you in good shape. Doing this still does not give us a complete picture as we're not actually physicians yet, but we become more informed. This is purely my opinion though and others can feel free to disagree.

Scribing is definitely great experience since it lets you see a wide scope of patients, learn A LOT about the documentation process that doctors use regularly/use it, and see the medical decision making process in action (as was said before). It gets your feet wet in the door in a clinical environment and you see what it's like working in a hospital for a significant period of time.

It doesn't show you everything though and that's where I feel shadowing comes in. Yeah, the ED has some drug seekers and non-compliant patients, but it doesn't give you a complete picture of the scope of medicine on its own. From my experiences, the patients that an ED in an urban environment gets is often different from say a surgeon or PCP in a suburban environment. The things each type of physician does on a daily basis is also often different.

If you supplement a clinical experience that you actually do something (like scribing, hospice, or perhaps hospital volunteering that gets your feet feet) with physician shadowing in different specialties (that broadens your knowledge of the scope of medicine) and use them to help describe your interests in medicine effectively, I feel like that should put you in good shape. Doing this still does not give us a complete picture as we're not actually physicians yet, but we become more informed. This is purely my opinion though and others can feel free to disagree.
I agree with you. I have shadowed an internal med subspecialty and a surgical specialty, in addition to being an ED scribe, so I have seen a broad scope lol. But yeah, it's best to get as much varied clinical experience as possible.

thank you for your responses in this thread - they've been really helpful to me. :)

I had to take a semester off (with withdrawals for the term) for personal and family reasons during sophomore year and can't really provide documentation for it, and cut off ECs besides research during this time. I don't have 4.0 but my GPA is very high and I don't have a single W outside of the term. Would the withdrawal raise eyebrows?
Not to be rude or anything, but I'm just "bumping" this post. :)

Not to be rude or anything, but I'm just "bumping" this post. :)

I believe I answered a similar question much earlier in this thread, but your situation would not raise my eyebrows. You just look like a very good student who has some issues for a semester, which usually means family problems. It happens.

Hushcom,
How would mentioning religion as a motivator for altruism effect any possible interview decisions? I'm currently in a Christian service based fraternity, and have two ongoing community service projects that are about 6 hours a week for a year now. I love serving others and it's a huge motivator for me to enter medicine. Is there a tactical way to approach it in interviews?

It really depends on the ADCOM.
If you mentioned that to me if I was sitting there, I would follow up with (of course highly unlikely, however something to consider):

"So, you're considering medicine on altruistic grounds, however, that means you're willing to sacrifice for something of a lesser or non-value, a negative return. That is what altruism or sacrifice means and that's what you state you're willing to do. Moreover, it seems antithetical to living life, no? Or, are you really pursuing something that is of personal self-interest, something you ultimately value, cherish, willing to do anything in your power to accomplish, and know that what you do will make not only your patient happy but yourself as well. If so, that is simply what you call selfishness and that's not a bad or evil thing."

Last edited:
It really depends on the ADCOM.
If you mentioned that to me if I was sitting there, I would follow up with (of course highly unlikely, however something to consider):

"So, you're considering medicine on altruistic grounds, however, that means you're willing to sacrifice for something of a lesser or non-value, a negative return. That is what altruism or sacrifice means and that's what you state you're willing to do. Moreover, it seems antithetical to living life, no? Or, are you really pursuing something that is of personal self-interest, something you ultimately value, cherish, willing to do anything in your power to accomplish, and know that what you do will make not only your patient happy but yourself as well. If so, that is simply what you call selfishness and that's not a bad or evil thing."

Most of us got over our Ayn Rand phase years ago.

Reactions: 5 users
Here's a DO question: how would the schools that want a DO letter feel about a DO letter from one's own former GP? He hasn't been my primary care physician for the better part of a decade, but if I shadowed him, would this be seen as cheesy? I don't know many other DOs.

Most of us got over our Ayn Rand phase years ago.

So, I assume it's okay to claim your pursuing something EXPLICITLY based on a concept that one doesn't even understand. It denotes a lack of conviction by just throwing out words based on it just sounding "good" and/or "relevant" that fits a specific career path. I'd like to truly know why, rather than just some rehashed word.

Will medical schools see what courses were taken at a given institution? Ex. Taking additional science courses at another university after completing pre-reqs elsewhere

So, I assume it's okay to claim your pursuing something EXPLICITLY based on a concept that one doesn't even understand. It denotes a lack of conviction by just throwing out words based on it just sounding "good" and/or "relevant" that fits a specific career path. I'd like to truly know why, rather than just some rehashed word.

I think you should go back and investigate the accepted modern definitions of "altruism" and "sacrifice", examine whether they are actually synonyms, and then check back with us.

Here's a DO question: how would the schools that want a DO letter feel about a DO letter from one's own former GP? He hasn't been my primary care physician for the better part of a decade, but if I shadowed him, would this be seen as cheesy? I don't know many other DOs.

I'm not a DO or at an osteopathic institution, but if you shadowed then you shadowed, regardless of how you landed the opportunity or the details of your prior relationship.

Hushcom,

How poorly does a downward GPA trend reflect on my application? My cGPA is 3.56 but I got my first C in my last semester of college in Organic chemistry 2. I had previously had to withdraw from the course and it was my only W. This was mostly due mental stress from a complicated family situation which resulted in a decline in my grandfather's health and ultimately his passing away.

Would a strong MCAT score (36+) make up for this any? What is the best way for me to explain this so that I come across as a mature applicant prepared for the rigors of med school?

Hushcom,

How poorly does a downward GPA trend reflect on my application? My cGPA is 3.56 but I got my first C in my last semester of college in Organic chemistry 2. I had previously had to withdraw from the course and it was my only W. This was mostly due mental stress from a complicated family situation which resulted in a decline in my grandfather's health and ultimately his passing away.

Would a strong MCAT score (36+) make up for this any? What is the best way for me to explain this so that I come across as a mature applicant prepared for the rigors of med school?

I would not sweat one C, and you don't need an MCAT score 5+ points above the matriculant mean in order to "make up for it." Worry about the parts of your application that you can still change for the better.

I would not sweat one C, and you don't need an MCAT score 5+ points above the matriculant mean in order to "make up for it." Worry about the parts of your application that you can still change for the better.

Should I expect to get asked about this during interviews? What would be an appropriate response that doesn't make it seem like I am making an excuse but also addresses my situation at the time?

Will medical schools see what courses were taken at a given institution? Ex. Taking additional science courses at another university after completing pre-reqs elsewhere

Thinking about omitting something?

Should I expect to get asked about this during interviews? What would be an appropriate response that doesn't make it seem like I am making an excuse but also addresses my situation at the time?

"I f***ed up."

In the rather unlikely circumstance that an interviewer homes in on that one course, just answer honestly. Bear in mind that a lot of grandparents seem to get sick during finals.

Reactions: 2 users
I made the cliche mistake of doing poorly my freshman year of college (C+ in either Bio I or II I don't remember and a C in Bio II Lab). Now lets fast forward to my junior year, after completing a stellar sophomore year of getting mostly A's, I made the mistake of taking organic and physics at the same time which lead me to get C's in both Orgo labs and a C+ in physics II lecture. Will adcoms look down on this even though I spent my senior year overloading on upper level bio courses and getting A's in them (including Biochem, Genetics w/ lab, evolution, etc.)? I ended up graduating with a 3.47 gpa and my EC's are on point.

Having a bad frosh year is fine if you make up for it, but having another bad semester again afterwards isn't really reassuring unless there were other circumstances at play. Taking organic chem and physics together isn't something that's terribly uncommon, I don't think and it certainly doesn't help your cause.

That said, I had two bad semesters in college, one in frosh year and one in jr year, and I still have interviews. My final gpa was in the mid 3.5's.

I was arrested three years ago for attempting breaking up a fight at a bar, unfortunately. I had a fake ID at the time and the name on it was not my true name. I was charged with three misdemeanors and completed a diversion program to have the charges dropped. Recently, I was charged with a misdemeanor in possession of marijuana that was found in my apartment. It was not mine as I do not smoke, am drug tested for volunteering, and am/was seeking medical employment. I tried to explain this to the police, but they did not want to hear me out since it was my apartment (long story short). I am in the process of proving my innocence. If the charge is dropped, will I be given the chance to have an interview?

I made terrible mistakes in the first incident. I learned a lot from that experience as it scarred me. I replay that night in my head multiple times a day. I distanced myself from that lifestyle and those types of people. Now am being accused of a crime that I did not commit. My record will make me look like an undeserving, irresponsible, and immature person, but that is not the case. Out of all of the premed and current med students I know I am probably the most genuine, caring, passionate and loving person. I am afraid that even if I am proven innocent that I will automatically be declined because the charges suggest the opposite of the latter. How would an adcom know that that is the type of person I am when they see I have a record...

I am very depressed at the moment as medicine is the only career for me. I could not live to see myself doing anything else.
GPA: 3.85 (will most likely be a 3.90-3.92 by the time I graduate)
Decent EC's: Typical shadowing (200+ hours), research, local volunteering.
Expected mCat (current exam) - Low 30s
Do I have a chance or did I just have everything ruined permanently? Advice?

Thank you

You should have waited for the agents to get a search warrant. You should not have offered to take a charge for something you did not do.

I know you are seeking reassurance, but until the dust settles from this latest fracas it will be impossible to chart a path forward.

They did get one after a while, but I had no idea there was anything inside. I was being charged no matter what unless he claimed it. In that situation, we both should have been charged. They didn't say it, but from what I see they let my friend go because they knew he would be kicked out of school and would spend a few months in jail since he was already facing a charge for marijuana.

Thank you for your response.

They did get one after a while, but I had no idea there was anything inside. I was being charged no matter what unless he claimed it. In that situation, we both should have been charged. They didn't say it, but from what I see they let my friend go because they knew he would be kicked out of school and would spend a few months in jail since he was already facing a charge for marijuana.

Thank you for your response.

Still, volunteering to take one for the team could easily be mistaken for culpability. If you live alone then there are only two possible sources for the mystery weed: your friend or the narcs. After due consideration, which do you think is more likely?

For someone who cannot afford a post-bac or SMP with a 30+MCAT but a ~3.20 cGPA, what can possibly be done to show adcoms that the prerequisite material was learned and retained? I have heard that rigor of undergraduate institution barely factors in when considering low GPAs.

So far, the only feasible advice I've gotten on this topic is to score well (34+) on the MCAT to make up for it. I'm planning on retaking, but I'd like to know if there's a better way.

Are students with drug possession charges ever admitted at your school?

Thinking about omitting something?

I read elsewhere on the internet that adcoms don't see until after the interview. Just some more internet falsehood I assume, based on the response

For someone who cannot afford a post-bac or SMP with a 30+MCAT but a ~3.20 cGPA, what can possibly be done to show adcoms that the prerequisite material was learned and retained? I have heard that rigor of undergraduate institution barely factors in when considering low GPAs.

So far, the only feasible advice I've gotten on this topic is to score well (34+) on the MCAT to make up for it. I'm planning on retaking, but I'd like to know if there's a better way.

High MCAT and apply broadly. Some schools will absolutely consider the rigor of your undergrad institution, but there is not way to adjust your GPA for free.

Does it look ok to put a leadership position on one's app that only lasted a year? The position was a year long position in grad school on a university committee.

Is it too early to start shadowing if I won't apply til 2016-2017? I'd like to hopefully find a doctor to shadow that could also write a LOR but I don't want it to be so early that they forget about me by the time app time rolls around.

Many committee seats last a year, so no worries. And it's never too early to start shadowing.

I read elsewhere on the internet that adcoms don't see until after the interview. Just some more internet falsehood I assume, based on the response

You are required to send all transcripts from all institutions attended to AMCAS, who will verify them. This is part of your core application. If you leave something out on purpose and it gets picked up through, say, National Student Clearinghouse, you are toast, probably forever.

High MCAT and apply broadly. Some schools will absolutely consider the rigor of your undergrad institution, but there is not way to adjust your GPA for free.
A possible way to do it is to find a job at a school that has a decent tuition benefit. It's not hard to get on a entry level CRC or a tech position. I got through a postbacc/second Bachelor degree at one of the most expensive private school for free by working at the med school.

I am a practicing physician who serves on the admissions committee of an allopathic medical school in the United States. I am also not new to SDN, having seen the cast of characters evolve here over a number of years. Some recent threads in the pre-allo forum have compelled me to start this one. While I am not a longstanding and venerated member of the committee, perhaps someone will find my two cents useful and/or interesting.

So please, have at it.

Wow you still seem to be answering questions, with 1500+ posts your resolve is beyond me! But hey, thanks for doing this. My question is about MCAT retakes, how do you see them? Retaking the MCAT once or twice? My question is mainly directed at how the Admissions Committee puts out their policy. I've personally taken it 2 times. Some schools say that they only consider the highest or the best score, which might also be the case with the committee you sit on (as I find only 2 schools that have publicly said they average scores). However, is it up to the reader's discretion? Also, going into the 2015 MCAT how will you average an old MCAT and new MCAT score? Percentiles?

I should add that continuing to build up your ECs might help. The problem with a 3.2 is that you will get screened out at some schools, so you have to make yourself look as appealing as possible to the places that will read your entire app.