Another Adcom, ask me (almost) anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow you still seem to be answering questions, with 1500+ posts your resolve is beyond me! But hey, thanks for doing this. My question is about MCAT retakes, how do you see them? Retaking the MCAT once or twice? My question is mainly directed at how the Admissions Committee puts out their policy. I've personally taken it 2 times. Some schools say that they only consider the highest or the best score, which might also be the case with the committee you sit on (as I find only 2 schools that have publicly said they average scores). However, is it up to the reader's discretion? Also, going into the 2015 MCAT how will you average an old MCAT and new MCAT score? Percentiles?

You cannot thank me without thanking @Goro. Retaking the MCAT once is no big deal, it happens all the time. Twice starts to make me a little bit concerned. Three times or more and it begins to look like you are just banging your head against the wall.

Of course, it is impossible to separate the number of retakes from the scores obtained and the timing of the tests. Someone who gets a 23 and three months later gets a 31 is rather different from someone who starts with a 23, a year later gets a 25, and another year later gets a 27. The variations are almost endless.

I do not think we are going to have a formal policy for averaging old and new MCATs. We will just have to use our brains.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey thanks for your reply! I recently made a thread about this, but was hoping to get an adcom's view. Currently I'm sitting at a 3.50 sGPA, after next semester's classes I'll be up to around a 3.54.

Should I take the summer classes to raise my sGPA to a 3.60 and apply late? In your eyes would it make a differences?

My cGPA is a 3.71 and my MCAT is a 36.

Also thanks @Goro ! Both of you guys rock.

Hey thanks for your reply! I recently made a thread about this, but was hoping to get an adcom's view. Currently I'm sitting at a 3.50 sGPA, after next semester's classes I'll be up to around a 3.54.

Should I take the summer classes to raise my sGPA to a 3.60 and apply late? In your eyes would it make a differences?

My cGPA is a 3.71 and my MCAT is a 36.

Also thanks @Goro ! Both of you guys rock.

Do not apply late for a 0.06 bump in sGPA. Apply early and forward the transcript of any summer classes later on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not apply late for a 0.06 bump in sGPA. Apply early and forward the transcript of any summer classes later on.

I hate to keep pestering you about this, but is it worth the $3000 in summer fees for a .06 bump? Like in your mind as an adcom is there a stark difference? Thanks again.

I hate to keep pestering you about this, but is it worth the $3000 in summer fees for a .06 bump? Like in your mind as an adcom is there a stark difference? Thanks again.

No, I was assuming you were going to take the credit hours regardless.

Do not spend $3000 for a 0.06 bump in GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the answers @hushcom!

I have one more quick question, which is probably really stupid. What is a good time range to take the mcat for 2018 matriculation? I plan on finishing my prereqs in summer 2016. Is anytime between then and July 2017 ok to take the mcat to be able to submit my app as soon as possible? Thanks!

Above all else, take it when you are ready.

If I were you I would shoot for taking it before the end of April, 2017. That will allow you ample time to get your score and, God forbid, plan a retake if necessary.

Hey hushcom, thanks for doing this. My stats:
GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 29 (9-9-11 ps-vr-bs split)
MAjor: Biochemistry from public school
Decent ECs, 3+years in lab, LoRs are average/slightly above average, E-board on 4 clubs, but not pres/vice pres. Active and involved TA for a large pre-med course at my school and through that, insane amounts of teaching experience.

Graduating this May, how much will this 29 mcat hold me back? Everyone on SDN is supportive saying "a 29 won't hold you back, you need to write a great PS, awesome essays, and be a solid interviewer." and then all those students have, unfortunately, been getting rejected. Thoughts when you see a borderline applicant (am I even borderline...?)? What can I do to really sell myself?

Hey hushcom, thanks for doing this. My stats:
GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 29 (9-9-11 ps-vr-bs split)
MAjor: Biochemistry from public school
Decent ECs, 3+years in lab, LoRs are average/slightly above average, E-board on 4 clubs, but not pres/vice pres. Active and involved TA for a large pre-med course at my school and through that, insane amounts of teaching experience.

Graduating this May, how much will this 29 mcat hold me back? Everyone on SDN is supportive saying "a 29 won't hold you back, you need to write a great PS, awesome essays, and be a solid interviewer." and then all those students have, unfortunately, been getting rejected. Thoughts when you see a borderline applicant (am I even borderline...?)? What can I do to really sell myself?

Bump your MCAT to a 31+.

You aren't borderline, but apps like yours are, quite frankly, not hard to come by.

Bump your MCAT to a 31+.

You aren't borderline, but apps like yours are, quite frankly, not hard to come by.
I don't have time to re-take and the MCAT is changing this January which I'm sure you're aware of :\. If I don't re-take is it really going to be a bad idea?

Thanks for doing this @hushcom

Wondering if you could critique my volunteering efforts so far.
-Local blood center: driver, picking up, dropping off, etc. (I could do more, but I already do that stuff at work) vs. Homeless shelter how does this compare.

-I'm going to volunteering at some other places that interest me, but with the bloodcenter I'm around lab people, as a lab tech I enjoy their company. So, I guess I'm saying the mainstay of my volunteering will be here, with stuff like the homeless shelter, which I'm not sure about yet, being done to a lesser extent.

Thanks in advance for your response!

Thanks for doing this @hushcom

Wondering if you could critique my volunteering efforts so far.
-Local blood center: driver, picking up, dropping off, etc. (I could do more, but I already do that stuff at work) vs. Homeless shelter how does this compare.

-I'm going to volunteering at some other places that interest me, but with the bloodcenter I'm around lab people, as a lab tech I enjoy their company. So, I guess I'm saying the mainstay of my volunteering will be here, with stuff like the homeless shelter, which I'm not sure about yet, being done to a lesser extent.

Thanks in advance for your response!

Tough call. Ultimately you should go with whichever one speaks to you more. The homeless shelter may need you more than the blood center does, but it can be more enticing to hang out in a medical environment.

Tough call. Ultimately you should go with whichever one speaks to you more. The homeless shelter may need you more than the blood center does, but it can be more enticing to hang out in a medical environment.
Yeah, you're right. That and I feel like a lot of the down on their luck people could use someone to talk to more than a meal. I'm going to see what I can do in that sense later. I'm going to put in more time and effort to understanding the various ways I can volunteer my time in that regard.

Thanks @hushcom :=|:-):

Time to spruce this thread up a bit:

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How important are Orgo 1&2 grades compared to the other science pre recs? Given that maybe the applicant aced both or maybe C and a B. Thanks

How important are Orgo 1&2 grades compared to the other science pre recs? Given that maybe the applicant aced both or maybe C and a B. Thanks

Those are fairly different prospects. If you tell a patient the result of their cancer surgery was somewhere between "aced and a C" that person might have some further questions.

Organic chemistry has traditionally been given a lot of weight because it ostensibly measures an applicant's ability to ingest a large amount of foreign factual material and synthesize it (so to speak) into a practical framework. One could argue that medical school is like organic chemistry on steroids.

If you blow organic (aka get Cs) but ace everything else you may be okay, but getting Bs or better would really help.

Reactions: 2 users
1. How does it look in interviews to discuss interest in certain specialties based on shadowing experience? Or is it better to stray away and show open-minded intent?

2. I worked in two different research labs over a two year period to figure out my interest in pursuing a PhD, and ultimately quit research because I disliked it, and became more committed to the premed path. I then devoted my time to volunteering, scribing, teaching which I am more passionate about (pursuing TFA in six months). Is it worth it to list this research experience at all? I was leaning towards not listing it because it wasn't something significant to me, but I'm wondering if not listing it will hurt me. I also got course credit with it so it's technically on my transcript.

3. How much difference is seen between a 31 MCAT vs like a 33 or 34? I have a 31, 3.8 and am not planning on retaking, but I was wondering if schools with 33-34 are schools that I could have a good shot at getting my foot in the door with my stats considering GPA and ECs, or if they would still be reach schools.

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. How does it look in interviews to discuss interest in certain specialties based on shadowing experience? Or is it better to stray away and show open-minded intent?

I think it's fine to discuss interest in certain fields based on what you have observed, but you will dig yourself into a hole if you get tunnel vision. Do not just show open mindedness, have open mindedness. When I discuss shadowing with interviewees it is better to hear someone talk about the more general aspects of being a physician, like the doctor-patient relationship, than it is to learn that someone wants to go into, say, orthopedics, because he saw one ORIF.

avenlea said:
2. I worked in two different research labs over a two year period to figure out my interest in pursuing a PhD, and ultimately quit research because I disliked it, and became more committed to the premed path. I then devoted my time to volunteering, scribing, teaching which I am more passionate about (pursuing TFA in six months). Is it worth it to list this research experience at all? I was leaning towards not listing it because it wasn't something significant to me, but I'm wondering if not listing it will hurt me. I also got course credit with it so it's technically on my transcript.

I would include it, and then just be very honest about your feelings.

avenlea said:
3. How much difference is seen between a 31 MCAT vs like a 33 or 34? I have a 31, 3.8 and am not planning on retaking, but I was wondering if schools with 33-34 are schools that I could have a good shot at getting my foot in the door with my stats considering GPA and ECs, or if they would still be reach schools.

The difference between a 31 and a 33 or 34 is 2 points and 3 points, respectively. But seriously, you obviously stand a better chance at schools where your numbers are on the good side of the mean, although a school with an average of 33 will have plenty of 31s in its class. So, start with the ones with a higher predicted yield and keep going until your time and/or money gives out.

Hi Dr. Huschcom! I have an acceptance at a school I really like but was given an II at my top choice recently (in a different city). I'm interviewing there in January and other than the school specific reasons I have for wanting to go there, my long-term boyfriend goes to school nearby. And so what I'm getting at is that this is a huge factor that would make me commit to this school if accepted (the school I have been accepted to is in Philly whereas the one I'm interviewing at is in the midwest). Is this something appropriate to mention during an interview?

Thanks for doing this, hushcom and Goro. How do adcoms weigh the three sections of the MCAT? Are they each viewed as equally important? I believe there was some old data that showed BS and PS to have the strongest correlation with Step 1 scores, although the anecdotal wisdom of SDN has been that VR was the section that is most heavily scrutinized...so I'm wondering why that is and if it's all misinformation that's been propagated over the years?

Hello! Thanks for doing this - I have a question that I've been in bind for a while now.

I'm a senior in college and I've always been interested in medicine, health policy, and business in combination. During this past fall semester, some of my business-esque friends had been applying to consulting jobs and I thought I'd do the same - but with a focus in healthcare consulting.

I got a job with a nice salary - but during my interviews I didn't say per se that I wanted to work there one or two, or however many years. All I said was I was exploring my options and that I wanted to hold off on medical school for a "few years". I assume that this was an important part of their decision in hiring me but I could be completely wrong.

My problem is this: Should I take 1 and ONLY 1 gap year, or can I take 2? I am leaning towards taking 2 gap years vs. 1 gap year because I would want the recommendation letter from the job I will have, I would want to talk about my "real world" experience from there, and I would want to utilize any connections that I might make through employment (the firm I'll be working for deals with a lot of pharmaceutical companies and there are many different physicians that work for them - may or may not be relevant but I have an open mind).

If I take 1 gap year I'd basically be interview as I was JUST starting my job, and I might not have enough vacation days for it. I would basically be saying after only a few months at work "Hey...so I have to take ___ days off because I'm applying to Medical School and am not going to work here after a year!". I think it might be a bit weird.

Here are my stats for reference to see if they make an impact:

MCAT 36 (11, 12, 13 - PS, VR, BS)
3.62 Overall, 3.65 Science
2 Years Research Experience (school) and 1 paper published as coauthor.
Work experience as a General Manager is a small student run business (but generated 125k in revenue).
~400 hours of physician shadowing experience (1 full summer's worth. Due to a school's program that I had to apply for).
Cofounder of an Alziemer's organization (VP), and cofounder of a Medical Students in Diversity organization (VP)
~100 Community Service.

Thanks ahead of time for everything!

If I have a C (gen chem II) and C+ (O chem I) but the rest of my pre-req grades are B’s or above, should I worry about the C’s? I’m a non-trad finishing my pre-reqs at a CC while working full-time, so re-taking would delay my application for a year, use up money, and not notably improve my GPA. Would there be any benefit of showing an adcom that I addressed the issue by re-taking, or could that be accomplished by focusing on the MCAT and doing well on that?

GoPens,

how bout dem mumps? My .02 is that you might want to delay your application regardless given the fact that your gpa is likely far below what is expected for the average matriculant (based on what you've said). It might be wise if you can essentially guarantee amazing grades at a CC in gen chem/orgo. However, your grades at your undergrad aren't going anywhere, and its clear that you struggled. No one will be impressed (not that you said anyone would) with A's from CC and they will probably be looked at as more of a "ok, he tried again," instead of "wow how persistent!". Get the A's and do everything you can to improve your app besides your grades, and take time studying the MCAT. Take a practice test to see where you might stand. If your app is amazing besides the grades, then consider not taking that year off. But if you know you need or could use more shadowing/volunteering/better grades (we all could), then a year off might give you some more time, including really preparing for the MCAT.

Hi Dr. Huschcom! I have an acceptance at a school I really like but was given an II at my top choice recently (in a different city). I'm interviewing there in January and other than the school specific reasons I have for wanting to go there, my long-term boyfriend goes to school nearby. And so what I'm getting at is that this is a huge factor that would make me commit to this school if accepted (the school I have been accepted to is in Philly whereas the one I'm interviewing at is in the midwest). Is this something appropriate to mention during an interview?

Yes, a valid reason to choose a school if offered an acceptance is always nice to hear.

Hello! Thanks for doing this - I have a question that I've been in bind for a while now.

I'm a senior in college and I've always been interested in medicine, health policy, and business in combination. During this past fall semester, some of my business-esque friends had been applying to consulting jobs and I thought I'd do the same - but with a focus in healthcare consulting.

I got a job with a nice salary - but during my interviews I didn't say per se that I wanted to work there one or two, or however many years. All I said was I was exploring my options and that I wanted to hold off on medical school for a "few years". I assume that this was an important part of their decision in hiring me but I could be completely wrong.

My problem is this: Should I take 1 and ONLY 1 gap year, or can I take 2? I am leaning towards taking 2 gap years vs. 1 gap year because I would want the recommendation letter from the job I will have, I would want to talk about my "real world" experience from there, and I would want to utilize any connections that I might make through employment (the firm I'll be working for deals with a lot of pharmaceutical companies and there are many different physicians that work for them - may or may not be relevant but I have an open mind).

If I take 1 gap year I'd basically be interview as I was JUST starting my job, and I might not have enough vacation days for it. I would basically be saying after only a few months at work "Hey...so I have to take ___ days off because I'm applying to Medical School and am not going to work here after a year!". I think it might be a bit weird.

Here are my stats for reference to see if they make an impact:

MCAT 36 (11, 12, 13 - PS, VR, BS)
3.62 Overall, 3.65 Science
2 Years Research Experience (school) and 1 paper published as coauthor.
Work experience as a General Manager is a small student run business (but generated 125k in revenue).
~400 hours of physician shadowing experience (1 full summer's worth. Due to a school's program that I had to apply for).
Cofounder of an Alziemer's organization (VP), and cofounder of a Medical Students in Diversity organization (VP)
~100 Community Service.

Thanks ahead of time for everything!

If I were ten years younger I would have recommended getting into a through medical school as quickly as possible, but this was based largely on opportunity cost in a rational economic model.

Now that I have been out the other side for awhile, however, my tune has changed. If you would like to take two gap years then take two. If you can earn a some money while gaining a little extra experience and maturity, that could pay serious dividends in the future. I believe the average matriculant age has crept up slightly over the past few years, and after interviewing 21-year-olds versus 23-25-year olds I can see why.

Last edited:
1) Some surgeons have let me scrub into their surgeries. Mostly I would just be closely observing the surgery, but occasionally, he would tell me to hold a re-tractor and whatnot. Is it okay to talk about this in an interview/personal statement/resume? I was only a student who worked at the hospital on an internship.

2) Same internship, I was medical assisting for a surgical clinic. Although I was never actually certified to medical assist, is this still okay to put into a resume/personal statement/interview?

Thank you in advance!

If I have a C (gen chem II) and C+ (O chem I) but the rest of my pre-req grades are B’s or above, should I worry about the C’s? I’m a non-trad finishing my pre-reqs at a CC while working full-time, so re-taking would delay my application for a year, use up money, and not notably improve my GPA. Would there be any benefit of showing an adcom that I addressed the issue by re-taking, or could that be accomplished by focusing on the MCAT and doing well on that?

I had to dig through your posting history to understand your situation more clearly. I would not retake two Cs at community college if I were in your shoes. That would be seen as too little too late. At this point preparing for the MCAT and getting solid clinical exposure would be the biggest bangs for your buck, so to speak. With a psych major and your work in epi you may be in a good position to do well on the new MCAT section that everyone is so terrified of.

Also, you sound geographically restricted yet willing to move if you get into Hopkins. I get where you are coming from, but if you are willing to move to Baltimore to fulfill your career aspirations then you should be willing to consider other options outside of Ohio. The bad news is that medical school is hard, the good news is that it is temporary.

I know that taking the MCAT more than once is frowned upon, but would you be more understanding of someone who did poorly on the May 2015 MCAT then took again later? With so little prep material I am concerned I may have to take it twice.

I had to dig through your posting history to understand your situation more clearly. I would not retake two Cs at community college if I were in your shoes. That would be seen as too little too late. At this point preparing for the MCAT and getting solid clinical exposure would be the biggest bangs for your buck, so to speak. With a psych major and your work in epi you may be in a good position to do well on the new MCAT section that everyone is so terrified of.

Also, you sound geographically restricted yet willing to move if you get into Hopkins. I get where you are coming from, but if you are willing to move to Baltimore to fulfill your career aspirations then you should be willing to consider other options outside of Ohio. The bad news is that medical school is hard, the good news is that it is temporary.

Thanks for your reply, and for taking the time to read through my post history. Luckily the geographic restrictions may end up being more flexible than I thought, so I've added a few other schools to my list of possibilities. Thanks again!

Hushcom I'm in a bind that I think I know the answer to but I thought I'd run it by you. I am grateful to have 2 acceptances. One school is highly ranked in primary care and a public school that has insane oos tuition. I might be able to get in state tuition if that's offered and I have to put down a non refundable deposit soon. The other school is private, moderately ranked and has a unique dual degree program I am interested in. There's no deposit due yet. At this point I'm heavily leaning towards the private school due to the tuition costs, location, and curriculum. Would it be silly to throw down a deposit at this other school when I'm in this scenario? What if I get in state tuition? Why do they make you do that non refundable deposit (I know the answer)? I hate to close doors when I don't have the true cost of the schools in front of me, but I also hate wasting money on an already costly process. Thank you.

What are your thoughts on taking the June 20th MCAT for 2015 and applying that same cycle?
My GPA in community college was a 4.0 and at my current university is a 3.8.

I would not know what med schools to apply to since I will have no clue what my MCAT score will be. What do you suggest doing?

I know that taking the MCAT more than once is frowned upon, but would you be more understanding of someone who did poorly on the May 2015 MCAT then took again later? With so little prep material I am concerned I may have to take it twice.

If you have to take it twice then you have to take it twice. It is the third and fourth times that start to raise eyebrows. I have never been through an MCAT update from the adcom side, but I am predicting the dust will take time to settle.

In the meantime, explore the resources available to understand the new MCAT, and maybe sign up for a free MOOC on social epidemiology.

I will have 45 credits (30 cr of BCPM since 2014) of post-bacc with 3.62 cGPA & 3.97 sGPA by May 2015. My total AMCAS UG cGPA would be 3.00 and UG sGPA would be 2.92 (AACOMAS would be 3.2 for both). MCAT is only 28. ~20 years of work experience (career changer) and standard ECs. I am complete with only 3 DO schools this month due to my DO shadowing experience being postponed to next month. I used a weak MD LOR for now. Is reinvention possible with my c1.77/s1.31 Grad GPA from Optometry school from ~20 years ago? Thank you in advance.

You will likely be competitive at some DO schools - unless you have an extremely compelling story I do not think most allopathic schools will be very interested. Even with a solid post-bacc, there are simply too many other candidates who will outshine you, stats wise. I think you know this already.

Incidentally, I would suggest you think long and hard about starting medicine in your 40's if you are looking for a serious financial upside.

Hushcom I'm in a bind that I think I know the answer to but I thought I'd run it by you. I am grateful to have 2 acceptances. One school is highly ranked in primary care and a public school that has insane oos tuition. I might be able to get in state tuition if that's offered and I have to put down a non refundable deposit soon. The other school is private, moderately ranked and has a unique dual degree program I am interested in. There's no deposit due yet. At this point I'm heavily leaning towards the private school due to the tuition costs, location, and curriculum. Would it be silly to throw down a deposit at this other school when I'm in this scenario? What if I get in state tuition? Why do they make you do that non refundable deposit (I know the answer)? I hate to close doors when I don't have the true cost of the schools in front of me, but I also hate wasting money on an already costly process. Thank you.

If the public school has a defined, transparent, well-worn path to receiving in-state tuition then I would take that into consideration.

If the public school has a amorphous, opaque, "maybe after you have lived here for a year" process to receiving in-state tuition, I would dispense with them and attend the private school. Either way it sounds like you want to go private, so don't feel bad and don't look back if that's your decision.

I thought deposits for MD programs had to be refundable if you withdrew before the end of april.

Hushcom, thanks for doing this!

Question: How do adcoms view an applicant who shows a very strong interest in a particular specialty? My background/career is in neuropsychology (non-trad), and this experience has really helped grow my passion for neurology. Is it detrimental to look pigeon-holed this early before med school? Or is it viewed as a positive?

What are your thoughts on taking the June 20th MCAT for 2015 and applying that same cycle? My GPA in community college was a 4.0 and at my current university is a 3.8.

I would not know what med schools to apply to since I will have no clue what my MCAT score will be. What do you suggest doing?

I would get my AMCAS application uploaded and verified, and all my LORs locked in as early as possible. There is not much of a gap between the opening of AMCAS season and June 20th, and I do not think we will be able to download apps until July, so your MCAT date many not delay your overall application at all.

If you do have to choose schools without a score, I would use an assumption that my score will be right at the mean for accepted students.

How do you feel about retaking classes, perhaps multiple semesters? If I retook three semesters of prereqs (C- in gen chem, C in bio, and B- in orgo), how bad would this look? Would I be screened out immediately?

I do not see many retakes of Cs. AMCAS does not replace grades, it averages them, so the GPA boost is pretty minimal. If you get a C- in gen chem, retake it and get an A, that also does not tell me very much about your academic prowess. I would have graduated with a 4.0 if I could have taken all my classes twice.

If you are looking to demonstrate that you have overcome whatever doldrums let you to perform poorly in your prereqs, the best way to do that is to do well in upper level classes and the MCAT. If you cannot pull that off, perhaps now is not your time to apply to medical school.

Hushcom, thanks for doing this!

Question: How do adcoms view an applicant who shows a very strong interest in a particular specialty? My background/career is in neuropsychology (non-trad), and this experience has really helped grow my passion for neurology. Is it detrimental to look pigeon-holed this early before med school? Or is it viewed as a positive?

Put yourself in our shoes. We are not looking for future neurologists, we are looking for future physicians, some of whom will no doubt be neurologists. Ideally you can use your background to leverage a compelling narrative for choosing medicine. If you come in with tunnel vision, like you have your career mapped out and and medical school is a formality, that is not so appealing.

The simple fact of the matter is that you have no idea what you will encounter along the way, so while it is good to have a plan you should keep your mind and options open as long as possible.

I don't have time to re-take and the MCAT is changing this January which I'm sure you're aware of :\. If I don't re-take is it really going to be a bad idea?

If you have an unsuccessful cycle the decision will be made for you. Good luck!

Put yourself in our shoes. We are not looking for future neurologists, we are looking for future physicians, some of whom will no doubt be neurologists. Ideally you can use your background to leverage a compelling narrative for choosing medicine. If you come in with tunnel vision, like you have your career mapped out and and medical school is a formality, that is not so appealing.

The simple fact of the matter is that you have no idea what you will encounter along the way, so while it is good to have a plan you should keep your mind and options open as long as possible.

Makes sense. I appreciate the response! Thank you!

Certainly an interesting way of looking at it.

What if a prospective applicant has grown to have a clear inclination towards a certain specialty through years of research, clinical experience, and activities centered on said specialty (especially for those with specific research interests for the future)?

Last edited:

What if a prospective applicant has grown to have a clear inclination towards a certain specialty through years of research, clinical experience, and activities centered said specialty (especially for those with specific research interests for the future)?

Are you thinking of, say, a 25-year-old who works in a clinical research setting and does fundraising/awareness volunteering? Or someone older who would be a bona fide career changer?

In either case, as the saying goes, if you want to make God laugh just formulate a plan.

Reactions: 3 users
How would you view an applicant who has good but not outstanding ECs and LoRs with a GPA 0.25 lower than your school average and a MCAT 6-7 higher than your school average?

How would you view an applicant who has good but not outstanding ECs and LoRs with a GPA 0.25 lower than your school average and a MCAT 6-7 higher than your school average?

As an abstraction.

Reactions: 3 users
How would you view an applicant with solely P/F grades(no gpa) accompanied by Narrative Evaluations: Assuming MCAT is on par with the school avg and the rest of the application is "acceptable"?

hi hushcom, thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions!
I took the MCAT 4 months ago and received an unbalanced score of 29 (two 11s, one 7). I signed up to re-take it this month, but since I'm applying to start in 2016, I'm wondering if I should cancel my re-take and just sign up for the new version in spring 2015? I recently found out that some of my state schools have said they will prefer the 2015 version. I'm worried that I may now be at an even greater disadvantage at schools that prefer students applying in 2015 to take the new MCAT

How would you view an applicant with solely P/F grades(no gpa) accompanied by Narrative Evaluations: Assuming MCAT is on par with the school avg and the rest of the application is "acceptable"?

I have not come across this scenario yet. I do not know how this applicant would survive screening.

I took the MCAT 4 months ago and received an unbalanced score of 29 (two 11s, one 7). I signed up to re-take it this month, but since I'm applying to start in 2016, I'm wondering if I should cancel my re-take and just sign up for the new version in spring 2015? I recently found out that some of my state schools have said they will prefer the 2015 version. I'm worried that I may now be at an even greater disadvantage at schools that prefer students applying in 2015 to take the new MCAT

Wow, tough call. If you retook it this month and killed it, it would be somewhat difficult to argue with the result. Of course I am sure the schools (including mine) would prefer if every applicant took the new version, so we can compare apples to apples in the upcoming cycle.

If it were me I would likely hedge and take the new MCAT in the spring, after an exhaustive review of the new content areas and a lot of prep work. I have suggested signing up for an online MOOC on social epidemiology, and I stand by that.

What if a prospective applicant has grown to have a clear inclination towards a certain specialty through years of research, clinical experience, and activities centered on said specialty (especially for those with specific research interests for the future)?

I'll answer this for you.

I have a TON of experience working in HIV/ID. Think international work, coursework, jobs, etc.

Then I started working in surgical research. It blew my mind. I'm far more interested in surgery than in medicine now and I never would have thought that 2 years ago.

The sandbox is pretty big, don't just stick and play in a corner. A lot of what you learned is no doubt awesome, but keep an open mind and you might find something else that interests you. A lot of the skills you have will transfer over. If I were you, I'd stress an interest in that area but say that you're interested in exploring. Say what appeals to you about the work you're doing though as that's important for the 'why medicine' bit.

Wow, tough call. If you retook it this month and killed it, it would be somewhat difficult to argue with the result. Of course I am sure the schools (including mine) would prefer if every applicant took the new version, so we can compare apples to apples in the upcoming cycle.

If it were me I would likely hedge and take the new MCAT in the spring, after an exhaustive review of the new content areas and a lot of prep work. I have suggested signing up for an online MOOC on social epidemiology, and I stand by that.

I was going to disagree with hushcom till I saw you said 2016. That year will make the new test less of a mystery and put more time between the two tests. I think it'll be good to take the new one at that point unless the uncertainty is bothering you a lot and you're certain you're going to do better by 3-4 pts at the minimum.