Another Back Pain Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many cases of Cauda Equina AND/OR Epidural Abscess/Hematoma have YOU Dx'd?

• I'm an attending, 21+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a resident, 11-20

• I'm a resident, 21+

• I'm a medical student 1

• I'm going to be a stem cell forever and not make up my mind about any diagnosis

• Total voters
It does come in waves, I think. My third day as a brand new attending I had one. Sheesh! I did look like a bad-ass, though, in front of all my new colleagues.

Shhhh, its a secret. My patient said "My primary doctor sent me here for an MRI because of some horse's tail syndrome...."

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
Anecdotally, in the last five months my SP and I have seen one epidural hematoma (from plavix and an LP), two cases of cauda equina syndrome and one case of Brown-Sequard (the only one I actually Dx'd).

-Mike

I've seen 2 epidural abscesses. One was my patient on medicine (diagnosis made loooong time before our team rotated there, and the other was my aunt. Since I saw neither of them in the ED they may not really count in your poll.:oops:

I know that I might have come off like Dr. Jellyfinger in the last poll but I don't think this poll will tell us anything. I doubt there is anyone on SDN that has personally seen >10 cases of spinal epidural abscess or cauda equina syndrome. A better poll would have the cutoff at 1 or 2, not 10.

I have seen 1 patient in the ED that actually had spinal epidural abscess but that patient was signed over to me as he was in MRI.

On another note: this afternoon on the Jim Rome show one of the guests described Steve Spurrier as having the likeability of a proctologist's index finger. Hilarious.:D

If you lump all the various cord compression syndromes I've seen together I'm sure its more than 10. Enough that individual cases no longer stand out in my memory.