Another BCPM question (sorry!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emzerlee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently taking a dev bio class with a professor I really like and wanted to sign up for another course he teaches called BIOS 102 Newsworthy topics in the life sciences. The class has some sociological/media components since it was designed for "non-scientists," but it is in the biology department and goes into pretty substantial detail on the biology and science behind stem cells, cancer, and infectious diseases.

Does this sound like it would count for BCPM? I plan on taking it anyways since it sounds like a great class, but just wanted some further insight on course classification. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

By content, it likely isnt a BCPM class
Hi gonnif, thanks for the reply! Do you say this because it is designed for "non-scientists"? Or does it just not sound like a hard science course?

you arent going in to depth about any of those science topics so i doubt it counts but that doesnt mean you shouldnt take it. sounds cool

Reactions: 1 user
Send the official college course catalog description

It is a bit vague, but here it is: "Scientists constantly make groundbreaking discoveries, some of which receive attention by the press. This course, designed for non-scientists, provides the scientific background to appreciate these reports more fully. We discuss three exciting topics in the life sciences: stem cells, cancer, and infectious diseases."

Based on the syllabus, it seems like an introduction into cancer, pathophys, and stem cell all in one, all pertinent topics within the realm of medicine and public health. But I do agree with @syzygy that even though it has a Bio course name, it may not go beyond the basics for the highlighted science topics. It's a little unclear, so I may be better off taking another course if I want it to count as BCPM.