Another Bio problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lonely Sol

cowgoesmoo fan!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
alright, I got one bio question that seems tricky ....here is the question

which of the following molecules is capable of generating the greatest osmotic pressure?
1) 300 mM glucose
2)300 mM urea
3) 300 mM NaCl

2. A drug blocks electron transfer in cytochrome oxidase (Complex IV). If intact mitochondria were incubated with excess NADJ and O2 in the presence of the drug, which of the following would be found only in the oxidized state?
a. Coenzyme Q
b. Cytochrome a3
c. Cytochrome b
d. cytomchrome C1
e. Fe-S centers in succinate dehydrogenase

Also, Is it true that Bacteria have both DNA and RNA? (thats was schaums book said).

i don't have any answer to that....If you could help me out with this Question that would be great.
thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

alright, I got one bio question that seems tricky ....here is the question

which of the following molecules is capable of generating the greatest osmotic pressure?
1) 300 mM glucose
2)300 mM urea
3) 300 mM NaCl

2. A drug blocks electron transfer in cytochrome oxidase (Complex IV). If intact mitochondria were incubated with excess NADJ and O2 in the presence of the drug, which of the following would be found only in the oxidized state?
a. Coenzyme Q
b. Cytochrome a3
c. Cytochrome b
d. cytomchrome C1
e. Fe-S centers in succinate dehydrogenase

Also, Is it true that Bacteria have both DNA and RNA? (thats was schaums book said).

i don't have any answer to that....If you could help me out with this Question that would be great.
thanks in advance

Why shouldn't Bacteria have RNA? What are ribosomes composed of? Do bacteria have ribosomes?

Can't offer any suggestions for the ETC question...look in voet and voet for the answer

hmmm....what is the equation for osmotic pressure? What is it about that equation that many people always always seem to forget? (van't hoff???) At least that is how I would approach the problem

NaCl will have an effective concentration double that of the other two solutes.

NaCl will have an effective concentration double that of the other two solutes.

yea, i guess thats probably the common mistake I would make, forget about van't hoff. Yea, if you look at it that way then only NaCl will give you the higher osmotic pressure!! Thanks, poc!