Another chance of acceptance thread

Started by Rgvmed
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rgvmed

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

Non-traditional 28 year old applicant here. Originally graduated a BS in business with a 2.7, completed a MBA program with a 3.7, and have a 4.0 in my last 47 credits (60 with the upcoming fall semester) of second degree, perhaps considered a post-bach, in Biology credits. I'm expecting a high GRE score as I have prepped for several months and scored a 326 on my first power prep the other day, taking the second one tomorrow with my GRE taking place next week. I'm confident in obtaining a 5 on the AWA section based off of score it now.

My transcripts are currently being processed by PTCAS. Overall, my cumulative GPA will be somewhere around a 3.1 after PTCAS rips it apart, although I will have a high science GPA and last 60 credit hours. I have over 300 shadowing hours in a variety of settings: outpatient, sub acute hospital, lymphedema clinic, and skill nursing. I'm a nationally registered EMT and have several hundred hours on the ambulance. I have some research experience in a parkinson's research lab at my university.

I'm planning on applying to A LOT of schools due to my low overall cumulative. Would you all mind taking a look at my choices and letting know if a certain school is a bad idea or not due to my low overall? I'd appreciate it.

Andrews Univ. (50% tuition reduction for > 320 on GRE)
Bradley Univ.
Duke
Hampton Univ.
Husson
Mayo
Mercer
Nova
Regis
Rosalind Franlin
Univ. Central Arkansas (takes into account last 30 credit hours and weights the GRE #1)
Univ Maryland Eastern Shore
Univ Tenn. @ memphis
Western Carolina
Wingate (Jan 2016)
Winston Salem (Jan 2016)

and my two instates: MUSC and USC

Thank you!
 
Your GRE is great, and with the recent GPA you're probably looking good if your prereq GPA is a lot higher than your cumulative. I'm applying early decision at UTHSC in Memphis myself. I know they don't take many out-of-state applicants though. Like 10%. So that would hurt you at some schools. Good luck!
 
The Powerprep is a pretty good estimate for the GRE I think. I got a 325 and that was exactly the average of the two practice tests I took. The Kaplan practice test was WAAAAAY off. There's a scores sticky at the top of the page that will give you a lot of information.
 
Last edited:
Appreciate it, and wow I didn't realize they only accepted 10% out of state on average. Eeks! I've done a lot of research but sometimes it's easy to overlook something about one or two schools. And yeah, I really home I can get a 320 or above as my application needs it! haha.