another "Chances of getting in"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kehya

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am applying to pharmacy schools starting this July, I have a pretty low gpa and taking the pact in July

my gpa: 2.65 I know it low, working to bring it up
PCAT: not taken
worked as a pharm tech for about 4 years
volunteer at out patient at 2 hospitals (100+ hrs)
LOR from orgo professor and walgreens pharmacy manager

I want to know from maybe past pharmacy students my chances of getting in? My dream school is Midwestern CCP

Members don't see this ad.

You really need to spend a year retaking classes and even after that score a 90+ PCAT in my opinion. I'm sure you will get in somewhere if you score 90+ considering your tech experience but anything below a 3.0 does not look good.

Why are your grades low? What are you going to do to convince a school that you can handle their classes, which will be even harder?

According to Midwestern CCP's website, it states that they review any GPA <2.75 with "particular concern" or whatever that means. Anyways, your GPA is significantly below their class average GPA of ~3.19, and depending on how many credit hours you currently have, it will be tough to bring it up with additional new classes. I suggest retaking a couple of classes and earning an "A" in those to drastically increase your GPA, or at least have an upward trend in your grades. Again, we don't know if they only review PharmCAS GPA which averages out your retake classes, or if they have their own system of forgiveness policy which replaces your highest grade thus dropping your previous class grade overall. Shoot for a GPA that's near their average of >3.19 and do very well on the PCAT >70 or even higher (anything <50 is a red flag for Midwestern CCP). Your extracurricular activities, work experience, and LORs are good.

But like the above poster says, you will have to convince them how you will handle their semester courseload (14-21+ credit hours per semester) while interning. While you may pass pharmacy school, it will most likely be an unpleasant experience for you, and I mean you will most likely spend more time studying an exam than your average classmates will just to earn a B on an exam while some of your classmates are putting less effort and earning an A.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile