Another doctor suicide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Actually, at my institution, the M&M is precisely about figuring out what went wrong and fixing a systemic error. It's a shame your hospital doesn't have the same goals in mind. As for a clue of the details, another doctor is dead and it's emblematic of a problem within the field. Any other details are extras. Now, what exactly was incorrect?
so what is your need? to be right on an internet forum or to actually elicit suggestions and solutions and open up a dialogue.

realize your attitude on this forum is what IRL is the attitude that is a part of the problem...smug people who feel the need to be right and not willing to listen to constructive criticism.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually, at my institution, the M&M is precisely about figuring out what went wrong and fixing a systemic error. It's a shame your hospital doesn't have the same goals in mind. As for a clue of the details, another doctor is dead and it's emblematic of a problem within the field. Any other details are extras. Now, what exactly was incorrect?

You are wrong, everyone else is right. An M&M evaluates what went wrong in the care of a patient to prevent recurrence. It's a irrelevant concept here.

What you're looking for is a root cause analysis as has been previously mentioned.

Reactions: 2 users
so what is your need? to be right on an internet forum or to actually elicit suggestions and solutions and open up a dialogue.

realize your attitude on this forum is what IRL is the attitude that is a part of the problem...smug people who feel the need to be right and not willing to listen to constructive criticism.

Um, seriously? YOU, of all posters, are criticizing someone else's attitude as being part of any problem? Please. My need is none of the above. I was simply stating my opinion, which I am fully allowed to do without your permission nor your suggestions.

You are wrong, everyone else is right. An M&M evaluates what went wrong in the care of a patient to prevent recurrence. It's a irrelevant concept here.

What you're looking for is a root cause analysis as has been previously mentioned.

K, if it makes you better to feel that way. I'm going to continue to say repeatedly that we need further introspection and accountability within the profession. You can call it whatever you want, as I've said above.

Um, seriously? YOU, of all posters, are criticizing someone else's attitude as being part of any problem? Please. My need is none of the above. I was simply stating my opinion, which I am fully allowed to do without your permission nor your suggestions.

K, if it makes you better to feel that way. I'm going to continue to say repeatedly that we need further introspection and accountability within the profession. You can call it whatever you want, as I've said above.

Words have definitions and it matters when you're talking to fellow physicians. And you shouldn't look for a systemic problem/solution when it comes to an individual's actions. Many well meaning interventions have unintended consequences.

Stop calling it an M&M then. That's a loaded phrase in this world, and you should know that. The point of an M&M is never to actually figure out what went wrong and fix a systemic error so that it doesn't happen again. It's to make sure somebody publicly takes the blame for what happened and everybody can move on.

As much as I hate to bust out the douche-y management speak, what you seem to want (and it's not unreasonable...although you started this thread without a clue of the details and the information you did have turns out to have been incorrect) is a root cause analysis, or a kaizen.

I don't have a dog in the underlying fight (not sure if the proposal is useful or not), but for the surgeons around, for whom M&M is a weekly event, it is not the "loaded phrase" you imagine. I'm sure at some malignant, dysfunctional places it is "never to actually figure out what went wrong and fix a systemic error" - but that's exactly what it is where I train, and that's exactly what it's meant to be. The connotations of douchey management speak, on the other hand, are much darker. For its part, M&M is sort of a scared event for me and the surgeons I know, and to write it off as a blame session is unfortunate. Maybe it's different where you work--and if there are places where no one cares about systemic errors and there's some weekly blame game, I can see why that'd be a major burden on people's mental health.

Reactions: 1 users
Words have definitions and it matters when you're talking to fellow physicians. And you shouldn't look for a systemic problem/solution when it comes to an individual's actions. Many well meaning interventions have unintended consequences.

Exactly the opposite. To suggest there isn't a systemic problem contributing to suicide in medical trainees is called denial.

Exactly the opposite. To suggest there isn't a systemic problem contributing to suicide in medical trainees is called denial.
But it seems like a good chunk of the suicides are in a small number of programs. So is it really a systemic issue or is it a problem in a certain number of programs?

But it seems like a good chunk of the suicides are in a small number of programs. So is it really a systemic issue or is it a problem in a certain number of programs?

I honestly don't think that's true. I think certain programs have more suicides than others, but I think these things happen at a number of places. Attempted suicides don't always get attention and neither does the high rates of depression. IMO, while some programs are more malignant than others, it's a systemic issue (and the nature of being a powerless trainee) that allows for it.

Actually, the point of the M&M is what I've been referring to and have referenced multiple times. Getting hung up on the logistics is neither helpful nor productive in moving the discussion forward. The point of an M&M is analysis of what went wrong and why in regards to hospital/department involvement. It doesn't need to involve the resident's personal history or life, as I said above already, but rather the professional contributions to the ultimate death. This is what I am suggesting. You don't need to call it an M&M. You can call it whatever you want. You don't need a powerpoint. You can use whatever presentation modality you want. The point -- as I said -- is introspection, which will do most of us some good.

Your response to this is honestly baffling, particularly since you're normally a hell of a lot more insightful than this on these boards.

You're a chief resident, no? So let's do a little Tarrytowning.

What would YOU propose if your program had an incident? If your program isn't dirt crap, you should have the program's ear and actual administrative responsibility and running something like this would absolutely be within your job description. Are you seriously saying that the logistics aren't important? C'mon bro. Is your "M&M" a resident-only process group/bitch session. You bringing the whole department in? Just the PD. As others have said, M&M has a very specific connotation related to patient care, and the employee who completed suicide isn't your patient, so whatever normal rules absolutely do not apply. How do you avoid baseless speculation about what lead to the suicide or proposals that will have unintended consequences (Wible was a big 16 hour rule proponent after all, for example). If you're truly making this about the workplace culture, how will you manage specific negative incidents that are to be discussed related to specific individuals? Do you interview the involved parties first? Do you leave the floor open to bringing up these incidents. How do you manage the exchange of information related to the MH history of the employee, of which there will be an asymmetric amount of knowledge and involved parties will not have a legal right to that information. As I mentioned upthread, this employee is not your patient and that affects what can or can't be shared legally within your M&M. How DOES your M&M differ from a process group? You mentioned outside doctors: Who would you bring in and how would you involve them and their role? How do you ensure that your M&M doesn't result in further trauma to involved parties? Perhaps this stuff is obvious, but none of us besides you have ever run an M&M before, apparently.

You're a chief, so it's part of your day to day responsibility now is to be monitoring the culture of the program and how your residents are interacting within it and relaying concerns up the appropriate chains. How is what you're proposing any different than what you're already doing? What ARE you doing now?

Your response to this is honestly baffling, particularly since you're normally a hell of a lot more insightful than this on these boards.

You're a chief resident, no? So let's do a little Tarrytowning.

What would YOU propose if your program had an incident? If your program isn't dirt crap, you should have the program's ear and actual administrative responsibility and running something like this would absolutely be within your job description. Are you seriously saying that the logistics aren't important? C'mon bro. Is your "M&M" a resident-only process group/bitch session. You bringing the whole department in? Just the PD. As others have said, M&M has a very specific connotation related to patient care, and the employee who completed suicide isn't your patient, so whatever normal rules absolutely do not apply. How do you avoid baseless speculation about what lead to the suicide or proposals that will have unintended consequences (Wible was a big 16 hour rule proponent after all, for example). If you're truly making this about the workplace culture, how will you manage specific negative incidents that are to be discussed related to specific individuals? Do you interview the involved parties first? Do you leave the floor open to bringing up these incidents. How do you manage the exchange of information related to the MH history of the employee, of which there will be an asymmetric amount of knowledge and involved parties will not have a legal right to that information. As I mentioned upthread, this employee is not your patient and that affects what can or can't be shared legally within your M&M. How DOES your M&M differ from a process group? You mentioned outside doctors: Who would you bring in and how would you involve them and their role? How do you ensure that your M&M doesn't result in further trauma to involved parties? Perhaps this stuff is obvious, but none of us besides you have ever run an M&M before, apparently.

You're a chief, so it's part of your day to day responsibility now is to be monitoring the culture of the program and how your residents are interacting within it and relaying concerns up the appropriate chains. How is what you're proposing any different than what you're already doing? What ARE you doing now?

Again, you don't have to call it an M&M. The M&Ms at my institution are department run, NOT resident run and they involve doctors, nurses, social workers, etc. We discuss a case (and it's not always a resident case) and analyze what went wrong, what could have been done better, etc. In the case of a resident who committed suicide, call it a root cause analysis or whatever else you want. The point I'm making is that in a lot of these cases, there is a link to work environment and we know that things like public humiliation, role instability, guilt related to potentially disastrous mistakes are all risks for suicide in someone who is depressed. Being a trainee lends itself to all of those factors. So yes, I think when a trainee takes his/her own life, we should examine what was going on AT WORK that could have contributed to it. This is not necessarily punitive (none of the M&Ms in my department are punitive, in fact), it is not to punish an attending for yelling at an intern, it is not to reprimand fellow residents for not asking the resident to have a drink with them at happy hour. It IS, however, to highlight things that shouldn't ever happen -- intimidation, bullying, forcing residents to lie on time sheets. We all know these things happen. It's about time they were given attention, especially if they contributed to one of these deaths.

This is about introspection and accountability when it comes to how we treat trainees, people who many times feel they don't have a voice and can't stand up to the injustices we all know take place in the hospital, because if they did, another injustice would likely follow and their professional lives would be harmed because of it. The hope is that when these things come to light, enough good people will put an end to it, especially in today's climate where there is a legitimate push for treating trainees better.

Perhaps it's my Pollyanna viewpoint, but I'm sick of brushing this stuff under the rug. When anyone commits suicide, I wonder how rough their life must have been that death was the better option. When a med student or resident commits suicide, I remember how rough training can be and I wonder if they would have done it had someone stood up for them or the person who came before them to, at the very least, bring attention to what was happening.

What part of her message is misleading or exaggerating? I don't think she exaggerates and misleads. I think she's just loud and has been screaming this from the rooftops for years because no one was paying attention once upon a time.

Yes.

I disagree. She’s one one of the view reviewing these cases, advocating for publicity of this problem, offering to speak with physicians, collecting the data, etc.... not sure how things are exaggerated.

The numbers never make sense. For example, Wimble constantly quotes that there are 300-400 physician suicides per year in the US. While not her original work, she spammed that and it got a ton of press. The source? A JAMA article that is a consensus statement in 2003. She will skip over the fact that things are estimations and claim them as fact, completely ignoring where things come from.

She also often claims that 150 US medical students commit suicide every year, which is incredibly suspect. She has edited her previous stories after getting called on this multiple times, but routinely tries to use it to rally people.
Sign this petition to prevent medical student and resident suicides

To be blunt, she often plays lose with facts and it bothers me. The majority of her arguments are not logically sound and if you are evidence based in any way, it should offend you. Take the article posted here. The crux (highlighted by multiple graphics) is the contrast between certain deaths and tries to compare them based on occupation/type of death. Never mind that every death is going to be publicized differently. There are millions of deaths that don't get the publicity that they should. There are millions of memorials and graves that don't get the attention that they deserve. She shamelessly self promotes and tries to take credit for being some great awareness bringer. Take one look at her website and listen to her speak and it is obvious.

My life has been touched by suicide on a personal and professional level several times. I have spent multiple nights in an ICU after a close physician friend attempted suicide. I have helped bury a former mentor and staff physician after a successful suicide. I am a surgical resident and to say that the environment I have trained in is hardcore is an understatement. Physician wellness is a serious issue. Physician suicide is a serious issue. But, even with all that said, after following this woman for several years, I have listened, I have read and I have concluded that at best she is an unreliable source of information. Even though this is an incredibly important personal topic for me, I find her to be a terrible advocate from the outside looking in. Her posts and sentiments reek of yellow journalism.

Reactions: 6 users
I honestly don't think that's true. I think certain programs have more suicides than others, but I think these things happen at a number of places. Attempted suicides don't always get attention and neither does the high rates of depression. IMO, while some programs are more malignant than others, it's a systemic issue (and the nature of being a powerless trainee) that allows for it.

To me this is a problem most emblematic of NYC programs. Most of the major (at least publicized) data on RESIDENT suicides (not med student, not attending) seems to be from around NYC. I believe it to be a systematic issue at the institutional level that predisposes itself in NYC programs.

I agree with you that a 'systematic issue' not being at play is called being in denial.

I agree with you that the systemic issues that plague certain NYC programs (wheeling patients to radiology, daily lab draws, etc. because everybody else is unionized and not willing to do their jobs) likely happen in other locales as well.

I do not believe that ALL NYC programs are malignant POS hospitals who scut out their residents for work that should be done by other staff. These are my opinions and I do not have the willingness to go look up citations.

In regards to the long-debate about the resident's suicide, the term you're looking for is a Root Cause Analysis (RCA). Well-run M&Ms can be run in a RCA fashion, especially in surgical programs.
Unfortunately, I imagine most M&Ms are poorly run in regards to their established goal: Find a way to try to prevent this from happening again outside of overtly just blaming one person as being an idiot/dangerous/murderer. I've seen my share of well-meaning M&Ms break-down into "what an idiotic decision you (the resident) and the attending made on this case, obviously the answer as a Monday Morning quarterback is what I think as the 60 year old surgeon who would never operate on a case of this complexity anymore!"

Something like 80% of all medical residencies are in NYC, so, I think that that is a big reason why most of the resident suicides are there.

Edit: I can't find evidence for the 80%, but a 2013 GWU study said that NY State had more residency positions than 31 other states combined.

Something like 80% of all medical residencies are in NYC, so, I think that that is a big reason why most of the resident suicides are there.

Edit: I can't find evidence for the 80%, but a 2013 GWU study said that NY State had more residency positions than 31 other states combined.

LOL what?

That sounds incredibly untrue. There is more to life than NYC.

Yes, NY State (again this is much more than NYC) may have more residencies than 31 flyover states combined.... but I'd highly doubt it's the NEXT 31 states combined (which is how that line is generally given for 'dramatic effect')

Reactions: 2 users
To me this is a problem most emblematic of NYC programs. Most of the major (at least publicized) data on RESIDENT suicides (not med student, not attending) seems to be from around NYC. I believe it to be a systematic issue at the institutional level that predisposes itself in NYC programs.

I agree with you that a 'systematic issue' not being at play is called being in denial.

I agree with you that the systemic issues that plague certain NYC programs (wheeling patients to radiology, daily lab draws, etc. because everybody else is unionized and not willing to do their jobs) likely happen in other locales as well.

I do not believe that ALL NYC programs are malignant POS hospitals who scut out their residents for work that should be done by other staff. These are my opinions and I do not have the willingness to go look up citations.

In regards to the long-debate about the resident's suicide, the term you're looking for is a Root Cause Analysis (RCA). Well-run M&Ms can be run in a RCA fashion, especially in surgical programs.
Unfortunately, I imagine most M&Ms are poorly run in regards to their established goal: Find a way to try to prevent this from happening again outside of overtly just blaming one person as being an idiot/dangerous/murderer. I've seen my share of well-meaning M&Ms break-down into "what an idiotic decision you (the resident) and the attending made on this case, obviously the answer as a Monday Morning quarterback is what I think as the 60 year old surgeon who would never operate on a case of this complexity anymore!"

I won't comment on NYC programs since I don't really have the data or experience with them, but it goes beyond NYC would be my response.

I'm fortunate in that in my program, our M&Ms are very much run like a root cause analysis. The goal is to figure out what went wrong and how to prevent it in a collegial and supportive environment. Pointed questions may be asked and advice is often given about what different people would have done, but with the caveat that hindsight is 20/20. I've been attending and participating in M&Ms since intern year and never once have I seen or heard blaming or name-calling. I had heard some M&Ms, particularly in surgery, are brutal, but ours not so much.

LOL what?

That sounds incredibly untrue. There is more to life than NYC.

Yes, NY State (again this is much more than NYC) may have more residencies than 31 flyover states combined.... but I'd highly doubt it's the NEXT 31 states combined (which is how that line is generally given for 'dramatic effect')

new-yorker3-png.228638

Attachments

• new yorker3.png
    new yorker3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 657
Reactions: 6 users
Table 4 in the paper aPD sent out. It's there. No more than 15% NY State residencies compared to the nation's total.

Third, I'm not sure what to do about residents. I mean, residency does pretty much suck and I don't see a way around that. It can probably be made to suck less but that's likely institution dependent. For example: we all hear stories about residents having to do their own daily blood draws and transport their patients to radiology and whatnot at some NYC hospitals. Since most of us didn't have to do that, seems like an easy fix that would reduce stress somewhat. Not sure we can reduce hours without lengthening residency and most of us aren't OK with that.

Fourth, attending burnout is easy - change jobs. We have the ability to do that (which residents really don't). If you're miserable in your job, find a new one. Its actually quite easy to do. I've done it often. I also haven't worked over 50 hours/week since I left residency. Rarely over 40 hours but I used to moonlight more my first year out.
That's a huge issue at one particular hospital in Brooklyn I was told...

I mean yeah there are certain aspects of all residencies that aren't ideal, but I don't think its a huge problem. Lots of programs don't have huge problems with mental health. Are there ways to improve residencies across the board? Likely, but probably not necessary. Its the places that have problems that need to be addressed.

Table 4 in the paper aPD sent out. It's there. No more than 15% NY State residencies compared to the nation's total.
I don't see the tables (on my phone, and my computer is down). Expand on that which you are saying for me. If I'm wrong, I am. I don't have an antagonistic argument.

I don't see the tables (on my phone, and my computer is down). Expand on that which you are saying for me. If I'm wrong, I am. I don't have an antagonistic argument.

New York 81 19 796 1148 (11.5) 15 980 (13.3)

1148 residences, 15.9k residents.

The percentages are on percentage of the whole country. If you can SDN images, I've copied the table below.

upload_2018-1-30_12-48-37.png

upload_2018-1-30_12-49-0.png

See, when I was a med student (20 years ago), someone told me that the vast majority of all medical residents were in NYC.

Next thing, you're going to tell me that a duck's quack does actually echo!

Hospitals won't be fixing this because it doesn't increase their bottom line. If a physician dies they'll just hire a new one and move on. The only way for them to really analyze it and possibly change is if something major happens and attracts a lot of bad publicity. The physician that jumped the other day attracted no publicity and pretty much only those in the medical field know of it. That's unfortunately the way the system works. As money becomes more and more tight due to decreasing reimbursement and increasing cost , more and more will be taken from physicians, including salary and benefits. I've heard of hospitals taking away the physician lounge to add more beds or an OR, taking away snacks for breakfast or discounts for lunch, etc

In certain instances you can say residents are far more protected because they have a governing body that oversees it. Once you become an attending all protections are out the window

I mean yeah there are certain aspects of all residencies that aren't ideal, but I don't think its a huge problem. Lots of programs don't have huge problems with mental health. Are there ways to improve residencies across the board? Likely, but probably not necessary. Its the places that have problems that need to be addressed.

I think lots of programs DO have huge problems with mental health, but the barriers described above is why we don't always know it.

And not all mental health issues, even serious ones, are signs of systemic issues within the program. I'm not sure that people appreciate how many of their co-residents started day one of orientation with bottles of sertraline in their medicine cabinets.

And not all mental health issues, even serious ones, are signs of systemic issues within the program. I'm not sure that people appreciate how many of their co-residents started day one of orientation with bottles of sertraline in their medicine cabinets.

Medical training, in and of itself, lends itself to malignancy, harassment, abuse, and resulting mental health issues. So while I do recognize that not all programs with depressed residents are malignant, I think this is a systematic issue that goes beyond individual programs. It's a culture.

Supply and demand...tons of people not only would like to go to NYC to train...they insist on it. So, NYC programs have very little incentive to not suck. And when they can’t fill through USMD, they are guaranteed to fill through beyond desperate FMG. I suppose that it would take ACGME stepping in for anything to change...but I doubt that would ever happen.

It's shocking to me that people argue about whether there is a "huge" problem or not in our training paradigm.

Prevalence of Depression and Suicidal Ideation Among Medical Students

Physician Suicide: A real dilemma - The Physician Philosopher

The problem is real. Finding out why the problem exists is important, too. Are the sort of people that go into medicine more prone to depression and suicide? Do these schools, residencies, and places of work fail to notice when there is a problem? Is there a systematic way to help without fear of retribution?

There are so many factors and considerations, but the time is long past to recognize this as a problem. It needs to be studied and attempts must be made to change the current system.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

follow up on this thread; the saga continues in New York; refinery29 posted an article following 3 suicides Mount Sinai Hospital Is Increasing Rent on Resident Housing By 40% (apparently I'm too newbish to post links)

Does anyone know how much hospitals, esp in the Northeast, receive from Medicare per trainee? This is insane. We are no longer "cheap labor" we are labor they get paid for taking on.

Really? In NYC residents draw their own patients' blood and wheel them to radiology? What do nurses do? Nothing? I still don't understand this concept of treating resident physicians like garbage, and nurses, which are typically not very useful or knowledgeable, like the end all be all. Where does nursing get all its power? How do physicians not have this power?

Really? In NYC residents draw their own patients' blood and wheel them to radiology? What do nurses do? Nothing? I still don't understand this concept of treating resident physicians like garbage, and nurses, which are typically not very useful or knowledgeable, like the end all be all. Where does nursing get all its power? How do physicians not have this power?
We are afraid of rocking the boat because of 250k+ student loan...

Nursing in NYC have powerful unions tracking up to the hospital execs no single physician is standing up to. there's no one to report to if the nurse just doesnt want to do the blood draw or claims the patient refused/was difficult stick when the patient denies being asked or poked. you're a young intern who is guiltripped to do it because you supposedly signed up to care for patients, and instead of fighting one of your 10 patient's lab draws, you just go do it. And replace another patient's IV. And fax MRI their safety form. And call radiology 20 times to check they are booked for it today. And wheel them to MRI. And remain silent when your seniors reprimand you when UOPs havent been recorded in the last 2 days for a sick patient or why Q4 vitals are recorded at best Q8. You can't escalate the situation because it will only make you look bad and retaliation - directly or indirectly - will occur. Your PD and chiefs will label you as a "complainer" with a "bad attitude" and "not a team player". You shut up and bear it so that you don't fail to match to fellowship or get references for jobs. It's a foolproof economic system.

And to add to the above... by the end of the day, you have accomplished a whole bunch of scut that is really generated from nursing, unit secretaries, transport teams pushing off some of their work. "protected" time for didactics is a joke, you still get hammer paged for things like "patient's restraint order fell off 10 hours ago please renew ASAP." But by god you know that the cbc goes in the lavender tops and the coags need at least 5cc of blood and where to pick up the blood yourself for a patient with a hct of 15%. 3 years of that + self study for boards = ready for attending status? :thumbup:
:thumbup::thumbup:

Nursing in NYC have powerful unions tracking up to the hospital execs no single physician is standing up to. there's no one to report to if the nurse just doesnt want to do the blood draw or claims the patient refused/was difficult stick when the patient denies being asked or poked. you're a young intern who is guiltripped to do it because you supposedly signed up to care for patients, and instead of fighting one of your 10 patient's lab draws, you just go do it. And replace another patient's IV. And fax MRI their safety form. And call radiology 20 times to check they are booked for it today. And wheel them to MRI. And remain silent when your seniors reprimand you when UOPs havent been recorded in the last 2 days for a sick patient or why Q4 vitals are recorded at best Q8. You can't escalate the situation because it will only make you look bad and retaliation - directly or indirectly - will occur. Your PD and chiefs will label you as a "complainer" with a "bad attitude" and "not a team player". You shut up and bear it so that you don't fail to match to fellowship or get references for jobs. It's a foolproof economic system.
What do you mean? If nursing is not doing their job they get fired. Nurses are not special. Why wouldn’t an intern report poor nursing behavior? I sure have. 2 nurses got canned for persistently not doing their jobs.

What do you mean? If nursing is not doing their job they get fired. Nurses are not special. Why wouldn’t an intern report poor nursing behavior? I sure have. 2 nurses got canned for persistently not doing their jobs.
Because they're unionized. That **** wouldn't fly down here in Alabama. East coast more like least coast.

The nursing unions in NYC are very strong. I don't have first hand experience but I know multiple people who have worked as residents in NYC hospitals. If you haven't (or heard second hand stories) what those people face, it's night and day compared to nearly every other place I can imagine in the country.

The nursing unions in NYC are very strong. I don't have first hand experience but I know multiple people who have worked as residents in NYC hospitals. If you haven't (or heard second hand stories) what those people face, it's night and day compared to nearly every other place I can imagine in the country.

Yeah, nursing unionization is pretty common across the country, but NYC is a special breed.

I swear though, National Nurses United folks at my site are like the embodiment of a lazy right wing stereotype of organized labor, but nothing like stories from friends in NYC.

lol...you have never worked in the NE have you?
as said above the nursing unions are very strong and have great pull...A nurse does not stand alone..you mess with one you mess with ALL of them...

as said above the nursing unions are very strong and have great pull...A nurse does not stand alone..you mess with one you mess with ALL of them...

I have worked in the midwest and in MA, as well as Tx. So if a nurse does nothing, no lab draws, no patient care, etc. and you report her - what are you all so afraid of? What is their role then? There are some big egos in NY, I could not imagine the average NYC doctor cowering from loser nurses. I expect nurses to do as they are told/ordered. If not I will be reporting them.

I am surprised and shocked that physicians, well educated, bright physicians would be intimidated by nurses, many of whom are not even nurses, and some which i'm sure barely speak english and don't even know their own patient's names. Lol! This is awesome. Fascinating!