Another FAFSA Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saluki

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What happens if you put down six schools for FAFSA and then later get accepted someplace different?

Members don't see this ad.

Can't you apply to more than six schools?

Thats what I have heard....how exactly do you do that though?

If you go to the "Help" button at the top of the main FAFSA website (www.fafsa.ed.gov) and type in "six schools." It will give you the following info:

You can only select up to six schools to receive your application information. Once you receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) you can make the information available to more than six schools through one of the following options. Each option will allow the school to receive an electronic copy of your SAR and you will also receive an updated SAR:

1. If you have a paper SAR, you can replace the schools listed on the SAR with other school codes, and mail the SAR back to the U.S. Department of Education.

2.You can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center and have them make the school changes for you. When you call, you must provide your Data Release Number (DRN) from your SAR to have the changes made. Refer to the Customer Service page for contact and assistance information.

3.Give the additional schools your Social Security Number, name, and the Data Release Number (DRN) from your SAR so that the schools can add their school code to your application and receive an electronic copy of your SAR.

4. Go to the FAFSA on the Web home page and select “Make Corrections to a processed FAFSA” under the FAFSA Followup section. Note: Your PIN is required to use this feature. Add additional school codes and submit the correction record for processing.

Members don't see this ad :)
yyd said:
Hi,

I have an unrelated FAFSA question. Since most people submit FAFSA before they do their taxes, do you send an update later? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Finally got my W-2 and now trying to figure this thing out.

Also, If I have not filed a tax return for 2005 yet, do I need to fill out the FAFSA worksheets A,B,C (page 8)?
Many thanks.

1. Submit the FAFSA ASAP. You can make corrections online after (I just did, as a matter of fact).

2. Yup - you're supposed to use your best estimates. So just guess income, tax, etc. Some schools will ask you to send in your returns afterward.

Some schools like Michigan, suggest that you do your FAFSA AFTER you have done your taxes.