urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
This time around no paralysis, no pressors as usual.

Pt is hypotensive (80/55) on 0.8 mac yet moving/bucking on stimulation. Remi drip sent the BP down the crapper so it had to be stopped.

How would you deal with this?

seinfeld

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
How much fluid has the patient had? Whats the HR? Can i increase CO and subsequent bp by mild hypervolemia or by increasing HR?

In these cases i usually just talk (argue) with the surgeon about whats more important for him to have. The ability for nerve monitoring or non moving target under the scope ? Sometimes maintaing the TOF to 1 you can accomplish both.

IN general i hate these cases

About the Ads

urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Des, hr 90's, albumin dripping, htc 30, ionized ca normal.

I hate these cases too.

ucsfgaspain

10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Urge,

So I'm fortunate enough to be really good friends with our guy who does free flaps. I talked to him about this very issue and just laid it out to him this way. Would you want me to put your patient into pulmonary edema by blasting him with volume in an attempt to bring his pressure up or would you rather me run a pressor? His answer: he'd take pulmonary edema.

Luckily, I've never had to actually put this to the test. But it's interesting his take. I asked if he felt that with the patient so hypervolemic would it threaten the flap from inhibiting venous outflow and he stated nope.

Planktonmd

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
The South
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Urge,

So I'm fortunate enough to be really good friends with our guy who does free flaps. I talked to him about this very issue and just laid it out to him this way. Would you want me to put your patient into pulmonary edema by blasting him with volume in an attempt to bring his pressure up or would you rather me run a pressor? His answer: he'd take pulmonary edema.

Luckily, I've never had to actually put this to the test. But it's interesting his take. I asked if he felt that with the patient so hypervolemic would it threaten the flap from inhibiting venous outflow and he stated nope.
Your good friend doesn't seem to be taking your opinions too seriously.
With many of these guys it is really a waste of time and effort to even try to explain why it is ok to give a pressor to treat the unopposed vasodilation caused by anesthetics when the painful stimulus is not sufficient to keep the BP where you want it.
One thing you could do is use Ketamine/Propofol instead of inhaled anesthesia.
I know the "minimally invasive anesthesia" guy would love that.

Jeff05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 31, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
agree completely with ketamine/prop, or just straight ketamine infusion.
will keep the BP up and provide excellent analgesia + pt will not move.

Jalopycat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2001
Status (Visible)
I hate free flaps. The ones where I'm training have been known to run 24+hours. Absolutely ridiculous.

urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Why no paralysis?

Nerve monitoring.

I did a ketamine drip and versed drip, along with des. Worked more or less ok. Pt tried to sit up during the case, though.

urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
What kind of free flap was it? What nerves were they concerned about? Were they also doing nerve re-attachment? We do a ton of flaps and none that I've seen have nerve monitoring.

Facial nerve. They were digging on the cheeks. Remember the movie Face/off? Looked kind of like that.

coprolalia

Bored Certified
10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2007
Paradise
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I am not sure that Dobutamine would help you improve the pressure of a patient who is hypotensive because of vasodilation.

Again, EXACTLY! Dobutamine might (and likely will) make the BP lower. Many people don't realize that dobutamine, while a great inotrope, actually causes dilatation of vessels and drops the SVR. That's why it works particularly well in CHF.

You're on a roll, Plank.

-copro

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.