Another GPA Question....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkytoe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this has already been posted but....

I signed up for an online class, and I thought that I dropped it within the drop deadline. Well... it turns out the class was not dropped off of my transcript, and I have failed the class.

I talked to the school, it's at a small CC, and they said there is nothing they can do about it. Is this going to effect me in a big way?

Any help with this would be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

An "F" will affect you to the extent of 1.0 mathematically dropping your GPA. I would definitely retake the F, get an A, to average it out to a "C". This is very unfortunate, but definitely isn't the end to anything.

People often wonder why pre-meds are so neurotic about everything. This is a prime example of lack of neurotism. Had you had neurotism, you would have probably checked 5 to 10 times to be COMPLETELY certain that you ABSOLUTELY dropped the class to its' fullest extent. When I drop classes, I am definitely guilty of checking, rechecking, and triple rechecking, so this exact situation doesn't happen to me.

EDIT: I dropped a couple classes this quarter and after reading your thread, I immediately checked my transcript to make sure that I actually dropped the class. This is a disease....

it's funny that you mention "neurotism" because I am the one who constantly checks my class schedule making sure that a professor had not dropped me on accident, :scared:. Also to make sure that I dropped the classes that I want etc..

BUT... this time forgot, I guess there is not much I can do... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
it's funny that you mention "neurotism" because I am the one who constantly checks my class schedule making sure that a professor had not dropped me on accident, :scared:. Also to make sure that I dropped the classes that I want etc..

BUT... this time forgot, I guess there is not much I can do... :(

Young young grasshopper, you have much to learn about true neurotism. I usually show up 1.5 hours early to an exam, just to make sure I'm not late. With time my son, you will learn to embrace the heavens and harvest the neurotistic juices from the natural sources around us.

Young young grasshopper, you have much to learn about true neurotism. I usually show up 1.5 hours early to an exam, just to make sure I'm not late. With time my son, you will learn to embrace the heavens and harvest the neurotistic juices from the natural sources around us.

Dude she just wants help. Nobody cares about your neurotism. Give her a break, she just had an F.

Dude she just wants help. Nobody cares about your neurotism. Give her a break, she just had an F.

I believe I did offer her help. My lesson was taught through the form of a story. But to be perfectly honest...what can I possibly do for her? Well other than tell her to be extra careful in the future, retake the class, never let this happen and move on with her life. I did just that. What else do you want from me? You've taken everything from me? Every last drop!

I signed up for an online class, and I thought that I dropped it within the drop deadline. Well... it turns out the class was not dropped off of my transcript, and I have failed the class.

I talked to the school, it's at a small CC, and they said there is nothing they can do about it. Is this going to effect me in a big way?

Which class? A med school pre-req?

I normally don't point out spelling errors but it's hilarious that all of you spelled neuroticism wrong :)

I was wondering what neurotism was....? I thought it might have been something different that I wasn't aware of ;)

One thought, it does matter who you talked to at the school. The clerk in the records office won't help you. Your advisor might, or a different advisor who actually cares might. Your instructor or department head might. There could be a petition process that no one has told you about. Did you print the screen when you thought you dropped the class? Maybe a good idea for the future. . .

I never take no for an answer until I've heard it at least 4 times. :)

Ask if they will drop the F from your transcript if you retake the course. If you promise them money in the future, they might be more likely to be lenient.

An "F" will affect you to the extent of 1.0 mathematically dropping your GPA. I would definitely retake the F, get an A, to average it out to a "C". This is very unfortunate, but definitely isn't the end to anything.

People often wonder why pre-meds are so neurotic about everything. This is a prime example of lack of neurotism. Had you had neurotism, you would have probably checked 5 to 10 times to be COMPLETELY certain that you ABSOLUTELY dropped the class to its' fullest extent. When I drop classes, I am definitely guilty of checking, rechecking, and triple rechecking, so this exact situation doesn't happen to me.

EDIT: I dropped a couple classes this quarter and after reading your thread, I immediately checked my transcript to make sure that I actually dropped the class. This is a disease....

I wouldn't bother retaking the same exact course, unless you feel like it or are planning on applying to some DO schools. Any other A will average that F to a C.

WTF?!? 1.5 hours early?! Umm... get there on time or maybe 10 min early but 90?! Total waste of time.
Neurotic tendencies are not healthy. The OP needs to be responsible, yes, but not neurotic.
OP, this happens, but there's not much to be done now. It will hurt you in med school admissions but hopefully it will help you learn to keep track of deadlines in the future.