Another LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PiBond

Call me Bond...PiBond
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a good answer in past threads.

As of now, I only have 2 LORs uploaded to ERAS and visible to programs. I've requested 4 LORs total (all from the field I'm applying to) and asked for them this past July/August. I've held off emailing my letter writers because I know they're super busy and I was trusting that my home institution would hound them for me to get the job done (my home institution tells us NOT to harass our LOR writers and to let them do it for us).

Now it's October and I'm starting to get pretty worried since I'm applying to a very competitive field and am missing half of my LORs. Is now the time to start bugging them or should I wait it out a little longer?

Members don't see this ad.

Your institution says they will hound your letter writers for you? How do you mean?

I would absolutely send a polite, succinct email to your letter writers.

"Dr. Smith

As you know, I am applying for specialty x this year and I think the letter you agreed to write me will be a strong component of my application. It seems that your letter has not yet been uploaded to ERAS. Let me know of any errors you may have encountered. Please see the attached instructions and cover letter if you need to resubmit your letter. Do not hesitate to ask me any questions regarding letter submission or any other issues that you may find. Thank you again for strengthening my application and I appreciate your time.

Sincerely
Me

(Then attach the instructions on how to submit a letter and the token or whatever it's called that is associated with their letter. )

I repeated some form of the above q2-3 weeks PRN for letter writers that had agreed to submit letters but they weren't showing up yet. I still had a 30% no show rate so plan accordingly.

Reactions: 1 user