Another LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlamacc1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, it's looking like I'll have the following letters of recommendation:
2 from professors whose courses I've taken (Calculus and Bioethics)
1 from lab director
1 from Dean of my college
1 from a physician I've shadowed and worked with.

How does this look to you guys? My research LOR is going to be pretty extensive (and HIGHLY positive, or so I've been told). Does this appear to be a good range of letters?

Members don't see this ad.

Is that the only lab you've worked in? If not, then you need letters from the other PIs for some schools.

Also--anyone non-science might be good, if possible. I'm not sure if MSTP cares as much about that as the med school, though.

No, I've only worked in one lab, but i've been here for over two years (structure-based anti-cancer drug design stuff, and i love it). So, that one letter is going to be VERY extensive. I could probably try to get a letter from one of the grad students I've worked with in the lab...do you think this would help?

Members don't see this ad :)
If possible, consider getting 1-2 non-science letters, which will be required by some med schools. As a Md/PhD applicant, you will often have to fufill both the MD/PhD admission requirements and the MD. Just be aware. To save time, check out the websites of the schools you are applying to see what their requirements are. Most schools are pretty specific.

If possible, consider getting 1-2 non-science letters, which will be required by some med schools. As a Md/PhD applicant, you will often have to fufill both the MD/PhD admission requirements and the MD. Just be aware. To save time, check out the websites of the schools you are applying to see what their requirements are. Most schools are pretty specific.

Bioethics is a philosophy (nonscience) course.

Do schools requiring non-science recs typically consider psychology as a non-science or do the social sciences count? If they do count, does it get fuzzy if the writer is a neuropsychologist/ cognitive neuroscientist. This area is typically included in the field of neuroscience, yet they are also considered psychologists.

yikes, sorry, i think i read biostatistics. you're right.

i second the question about neuroscience researchers in the psych dpt... science or no?

When they ask for a non-science letter they are usually looking for a letter that will speak to that side of your talents. So if your letter from the psych department is going to talk all about your great problem solving skills and experimental design abilities then even if it is a wonderful letter you might want to think about getting a different letter from someone who will speak about your social skills/artistic side/writing ability or whatever. You want to use this letter to show yourself off in the non-science arena.

It's also better to just call and ask the school what counts as non-science Some schools are very specific and picky. Now is a good time to call since this cycle is just winding down and they are not as harassed as they are during the interview/decision season.

On the some schools being picky note- several schools required 3 research PI letters from me. They allowed some people who contacted them with special circumstances to send only two letters. In some cases I remember they asked post-interview if the person could send a new third letter from the lab they currently worked in. You will definitely need to speak to them about having only one letter. I know it seems unfair, especially since your letter is so extensive. The best thing to do will be to contact each school whose secondary asks for multiple resarch letters and explain the situation to them. Schools with better administartions should understand and work with you.

Good Luck!