Another LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kumar28

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am applying in this year's cycle and was wondering if the people who got in to DO schools (or are applying this year) could answer some questions for me. How many academic LORs did you guys/gals submit with your apps? Also, how well did you know them?

I have a professor that knows me quite well but might not give me a stellar reference ( I did my honors research with her). However, I have other professors that I have merely taken a class with, that I think will give me good references if I ask (I participated a lot in class). Which one would you choose to give you the reference?

Thank you in advance for any advice and information

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Kumar28!

Why do you think that your honors research professor would give you a bad LOR?

It would probably be better to get one from her...you should flat out ask her if she would be able to write you a strong LOR..she should be honest with you.

If she says no then ask the other professor.

Just my opinion :) SPUNKY

I had only one academic LOR written, along with a DO, and my pre-med committee LOR.

You're better off going with an LOR that says good things about you. If you're not sure that she'll write you a good one, might wanna consider getting it from somewhere else. Of course, if you have a pre-med committee writing one for you, you might get away with not having an academic one written at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
AZCOM required a letter from a DO and one academic/committee letter. We had a pre-med committee so that's what I did. I agree with spunk11 in that you should just ask your prof if she can write you a good letter or not. She'll tell you the truth, because if she can't write you a good one, both of you will be relieved to not have her do it. I shadowed a DO about 3 times a month for 5 months specifically for the purpose of getting a letter from her, which I did.

Good Luck!

For info, AZCOM does not require a letter from a DO. Though it is highly recommended - they won't stop your application or anything for having a letter from a MD. This is straight from the admissions department (got the email response this morning).

Good luck.