Another Month of Student Loan Relief!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah it’s pretty amazing how ignorant and short sighted people can be…all about instant fixes, short lived victories, etc. The pause from the pandemic going on for 3+ years has been enough of a break/“forgiveness”

Self responsibility, personal finance, time management, grow the **** up, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Not just in nominal terms from the interest pause but also on inflation wiping about 20% of the balance in real terms.

It’s funny because this was my original rationale in taking the maximum $$ amount in student loans while I was in school. It wasn’t the prospect of PSLF forgiveness ten years down the line, it was that runaway inflation would nominally reduce what I had to pay.

I was wayyyy wrong on the inflation call, suffice it to say.

Apparel brands are about to take a hit when the student loan repayments start. No more impulse shopping at Nike, Under Amor, Canada Goose (seriously $1,000 for a winter coat??) etc.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Apparel brands are about to take a hit when the student loan repayments start. No more impulse shopping at Nike, Under Amor, Canada Goose (seriously $1,000 for a winter coat??) etc.
Now do homes.

Reactions: 1 user
Yet they still feel entitled to loan forgiveness.

I think we are missing something though..

The vast majority of students who took loans, to go to college, after the year 2000 or so (it got way worse after 2008) are largely the VICTIM of a PREDATORY LENDING SCHEME which exploded exponentially with the lending of EXTREMELY EASY MONEY in the form of guaranteed loans with no cap from the government. This created an environment where, whoever the hell was the benefactor of all of this easy money was the WINNER. The losers were the generation who was indoctrinated to make good decisions and go to college. That’s what I did at least (minus a good decision or two along the way). So many from our generation did this thinking, “it would just work out like it always has”.

However - anyone who took student loans in the past 20 years simply got hooked into a trap. And, unless you had family money - your not going to pay this debt back - it’s just not going to happen.

And 9 times out of 10 - anyone who comes along touting their prowess because they paid of their loans are keeping the part where their family and/or some other type of non-typical windfall which the person experienced (insurance settlement, inheritance, etc) was the true force behind paying off excessive student debt. Or - they loaned pre 2000. This is just the truth of the matter. About 1 out of 10 of the loudest people who paid their loans off did it naturally, in our current economic environment.

Anyways - didn’t we, as a society, decided that “victim blaming” is a bad thing? Shouldn’t we be trying to support the victims and take down the true offense?

Sorry about all the bolds and caps but this is the truth of the situation.

Last edited:
Citation needed - when did we decide that? Victim blaming is a national past time.

Well - in any case - all I’m saying is that we are clearly blaming the victim here (in the majority of these cases as a generalization).

The vast majority of students who took loans, to go to college, after the year 2000 or so (it got way worse after 2008) are largely the VICTIM of a PREDATORY LENDING SCHEME which exploded exponentially with the lending of EXTREMELY EASY MONEY in the form of guaranteed loans with no cap from the government. This created an environment where, whoever the hell was the benefactor of all of this easy money was the WINNER. The losers were the generation who was indoctrinated to make good decisions and go to college. That’s what I did at least (minus a good decision or two along the way). So many from our generation did this thinking, “it would just work out like it always has”.

However - anyone who took student loans in the past 20 years simply got hooked into a trap. And, unless you had family money - your not going to pay this debt back - it’s just not going to happen.

And 9 times out of 10 - anyone who comes along touting their prowess because they paid of their loans are keeping the part where their family and/or some other type of non-typical windfall which the person experienced (insurance settlement, inheritance, etc) was the true force behind paying off excessive student debt. Or - they loaned pre 2000. This is just the truth of the matter. About 1 out of 10 of the loudest people who paid their loans off did it naturally, in our current economic environment.

Anyways - didn’t we, as a society, decided that “victim blaming” is a bad thing? Shouldn’t we be trying to support the victims and take down the true offense?

I suggested this idea too. It’s basically predatory lending. I mean who the hell thinks it’s reasonable to hand an 18 year old a six figure loan? We don’t even let them drink in some states (legally at least).

But also, the tuition structure has basically pushed anyone below the upper middle class out of a college degree. Even if you pick a stem degree, do two years at community college and stay at home the full four years it’s basically 50 grand. I did the math if I start at a community college and finish the last two years at my alma matter. Based on their published rates and landed at 45k this route assuming no tuition increases along the way, which we all know tuition will go up.

This is obscene to me considering I paid far less even accounting for inflation and I did the full four years at a big ten university as an in state student. It was only a sweeter deal if you graduated 10-20 years before me.

Baby boomers on here, when I look at tuition rates back then, it basically seems like I could have gone to college for a half open pack of hot dogs and couch change, even adjusting for inflation. Did I look something up wrong?

I suggested this idea too. It’s basically predatory lending. I mean who the hell thinks it’s reasonable to hand an 18 year old a six figure loan? We don’t even let them drink in some states (legally at least).

But also, the tuition structure has basically pushed anyone below the upper middle class out of a college degree. Even if you pick a stem degree, do two years at community college and stay at home the full four years it’s basically 50 grand. I did the math if I start at a community college and finish the last two years at my alma matter. Based on their published rates and landed at 45k this route assuming no tuition increases along the way, which we all know tuition will go up.

This is obscene to me considering I paid far less even accounting for inflation and I did the full four years at a big ten university as an in state student. It was only a sweeter deal if you graduated 10-20 years before me.

Baby boomers on here, when I look at tuition rates back then, it basically seems like I could have gone to college for a half open pack of hot dogs and couch change, even adjusting for inflation. Did I look something up wrong?

You are correct. The concept of student loans doesn't even exist for many boomers. If you mention your student loans, half of them will say "you have student loans?". They had it so easy.

You are correct. The concept of student loans doesn't even exist for many boomers. If you mention your student loans, half of them will say "you have student loans?". They had it so easy.

This is true - and I’m not saying since they had it so easy we should have it so easy too. The world changes and there are good times and bad times.

All I’m saying is - we can not see this student loan thing as black/white like it used to be. It’s a freaking mess right now and there are entities becoming filthy rich on a lemming mentality which we, unfortunately, created for ourselves.

Whoever is benefiting from this is riding the gravy train long and hard…. Look for the man behind the curtain to solve the problem of student loans. It’s simple.. we got screwed by some very smart people

This is true - and I’m not saying since they had it so easy we should have it so easy too. The world changes and there are good times and bad times.

All I’m saying is - we can not see this student loan thing as black/white like it used to be. It’s a freaking mess right now and there are entities becoming filthy rich on a lemming mentality which we, unfortunately, created for ourselves.

Whoever is benefiting from this is riding the gravy train long and hard…. Look for the man behind the curtain to solve the problem of student loans. It’s simple.. we got screwed by some very smart people

Yeah. It's the schools for sure, and all the contractors who build and expand them. Not the professors but whoever profits from all these annual 10% tuition increases.

Yeah. It's the schools for sure, and all the contractors who build and expand them. Not the professors but whoever profits from all these annual 10% tuition increases.

Yes - and I’m sure there are MANY educational boards (both private and public) who didn’t say a word about the problem because for the past 20 years they have been building a massive retirement. They just hired financial advisors to maximize profit and minimize loss with revenue coming in from student loans. Im sure we can all assume that they were advised to continually raise tuition with the goal of collecting as much of this easy loan money, from the government, as possible…

Is there really anything more to it than this? It’s so crystal clear to me why tuition skyrocketed in an irrational way causing a hook line and sinker situation for gullible borrowers.

It raised irrationally because we had irrational access to unrestricted money. Can’t really call it supply and demand - more of an opportunity to be had for anyone who wants it..

I paid all mine off without help. This is a pharmacy forum. Most of us have the means to do this easily.

Members don't see this ad :)
I paid all mine off without help. This is a pharmacy forum. Most of us have the means to do this easily.

Graduated 2016 just paid my loans off. 250k from pharmacy school. No help from family, or inheritance. I worked like a dog while me and my wife lived below our means. Just don’t try to ball out, get and expensive mortgage, or buy fancy cars and it can be done.

Reactions: 5 users
Your 250K is more impressive than my 130K that I came out with., The paid it off in much the same way, tons of OT, sold my paltry investment portfolio, lived at home with my parents, and had really no money to show for it for about 3 years. Basically, working poor on paper for 3 years. Every fkn paycheck went to paying down that principal. No complaints, no waiting for Obama, McCain, or any grifting politician to save my butt. Only hardwork, constantly letting people know I was willing to work OT and drive no matter where I needed to go(I was floater at the time) to make more money. 130K in 3 years. I would be crapping my pants though if I had to pay off 250K. I understand not everyone can pay of their loans. I am fully down with the idea of student loans going away, but you can't really keep the system in place else 5 years from now others would ask for a bailout. Fine bailout, but we need major reforms in the student loan system.

My inexpensive local branch of the state university, one that had a reputation for being undesirable and for poor folks or older adults, somehow increased tuition by over 10x in the past decade. I have no idea how or why. It's not a destination school, there's no popular sports team with a big arena. It's just a school in a bad part of the city that a lot of lower income people used to attend. It really makes no sense.

My inexpensive local branch of the state university, one that had a reputation for being undesirable and for poor folks or older adults, somehow increased tuition by over 10x in the past decade. I have no idea how or why. It's not a destination school, there's no popular sports team with a big arena. It's just a school in a bad part of the city that a lot of lower income people used to attend. It really makes no sense.

If a state university raises tuition that much, it's usually because their previous source of funding (the taxpayer) has dried up. In my state, my parents paid nothing for a public university, I paid (or rather they paid) $1400 a year for me, and anyone going now will be coughing up $14k a year.

Here's an article I haven't read very well, but it shows how state funding of public universities has dried up over the years:

Last edited:
My undergrad college had decades old infrastructure and jail like dorms when I attended. People were crammed into rooms and the whole floor shared a community bathroom. Every other chair in the auditorium classrooms would be ripped apart. The dining halls were comparable to high school cafeterias. It was no frills. I recently visited and the place was unrecognizable. Tons of new high rise, state of the art buildings. The dining halls now serve award winning gourmet food. New dorms have private bedrooms and private bathrooms. It's like a 5 star resort. That's why tuition went up 10% every year.

Your 250K is more impressive than my 130K that I came out with., The paid it off in much the same way, tons of OT, sold my paltry investment portfolio, lived at home with my parents, and had really no money to show for it for about 3 years. Basically, working poor on paper for 3 years. Every fkn paycheck went to paying down that principal. No complaints, no waiting for Obama, McCain, or any grifting politician to save my butt. Only hardwork, constantly letting people know I was willing to work OT and drive no matter where I needed to go(I was floater at the time) to make more money. 130K in 3 years. I would be crapping my pants though if I had to pay off 250K. I understand not everyone can pay of their loans. I am fully down with the idea of student loans going away, but you can't really keep the system in place else 5 years from now others would ask for a bailout. Fine bailout, but we need major reforms in the student loan system.

This is a super cool story - thanks for sharing.

It kinda illustrates my “non-typical” point. Living with parents is one way to make the concept of paying off your loans possible.

Not many parents from previous generations are okay with this. Removing the issue of rent (especially when people are now freely paying 30-40% of their income in rent) really gives a lot of wiggle room.

My undergrad college had decades old infrastructure and jail like dorms when I attended. People were crammed into rooms and the whole floor shared a community bathroom. Every other chair in the auditorium classrooms would be ripped apart. The dining halls were comparable to high school cafeterias. It was no frills. I recently visited and the place was unrecognizable. Tons of new high rise, state of the art buildings. The dining halls now serve award winning gourmet food. New dorms have private bedrooms and private bathrooms. It's like a 5 star resort. That's why tuition went up 10% every year.

I would argue that these are all “upgrades” which have been obtained through the revenue stream from predatory loans (which I previously described above). Problem is - they have to spend the money to justify burning the revenue stream. They did this by upgrading every piece of infrastructure they could conceive.

It’s raising simply because “it can”. And when an entity can simply, “get more money” they will do it obviously. Then the problem becomes spending the money.

Tuition raised simply because we created an environment where all you had to do was up the ask and it would be paid without question.

What ends up happening is that all of these entities, who are setting up predatory loans, continue to push the ceiling year after year testing the system to find the upper limit. When this happens - a system will continue to grow until it breaks the system that is supporting it.

We are now seeing the upper limit being hit and the system is breaking. Again - the victims here are the past 20 years of students who walked into this thing like a lemming.

Last edited:

My undergrad was like this the first year. My 1st year biology professor still used an overhead projector with a transparency sheet and a marker, my chemistry professor used the chalkboard.

By my 4th year, we had state of the art everything, new research facilities, all the crappy old CRT monitors were finally gone, and these new dorms and off campus housing were popping up.

I think all the rich people complained, tbh. They paid cash for the tuition increases and the rest of us came along with student loans.

Public university in California.

1688586528397.png
1688586573589.png

Arizona State University is a mediocre school, but still a decent one by all means.
It is one of a few state schools that offers 100% remote degrees for undergrad, grad and certificates levels.
For a typical nonresident student to spend 4 years and 2 years through its undergrad & grad cs programs, the total tuition cost would be ~$80k.
I would expect such a student to work in summer or regular terms and graduate debt-free.

To be financially healthy, kids need to wake up and think about affordable options, which are abundant these days...a lot of German universities are free, and lots of Scandinavian PhD programs pay handsomely (65-70k euro per year) as well.

View attachment 373933View attachment 373934

Arizona State University is a mediocre school, but still a decent one by all means.
It is one of a few state schools that offers 100% remote degrees for undergrad, grad and certificates levels.
For a typical nonresident student to spend 4 years and 2 years through its undergrad & grad cs programs, the total tuition cost would be ~$80k.
I would expect such a student to work in summer or regular terms and graduate debt-free.

To be financially healthy, kids need to wake up and think about affordable options, which are abundant these days...a lot of German universities are free, and lots of Scandinavian PhD programs pay handsomely (65-70k euro per year) as well.
80K for ASU? That is definitely not a top tier school. They can't get away with it, because there are hordes of suckers willingly to sign up and take on those loans. Buyer Beware, of course like with anything. And yes, the public has been brainwashed by the universities to get any expensive undergrad degree.

80K for ASU? That is definitely not a top tier school. They can't get away with it, because there are hordes of suckers willingly to sign up and take on those loans. Buyer Beware, of course like with anything. And yes, the public has been brainwashed by the universities to get any expensive undergrad degree.
I would argue 80k for 6 years tech degree as a non-AZ resident isn't a too bad deal. Kids can live at home, work full time and pay this off easily. They can always relocate and establish residency there to cut the price in half.

I’ve always suspected that most students actually live a social class above their normal these days. I have the exact same experience with ASU with it being a cheap but utilitarian experience then coming back years later to find Lot 59 (the far parking lot at the U) converted to a hotel dorm. $2,300 a year (RPh Salary Median $52k) and now more than 10X (RPh Salary Median $132k).

BABY BOOMER, present! And I beg to differ!
In 1982, I started at a Private Pharmacy School. My grades and PCAT was not good enough for UK or UGA! My tuition was $1400/quarter, first year, and climbed every year. Ended up with about $32,000 in loans, private loans (not Fed) because my parents made too much money!
Well, I googled this:

$32,000 is
About $118,107.57 today's $$

$32,000 in 1980 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $118,107.57 today, an increase of $86,107.57 over 43 years.

My First Job, after Pharm.D. and PGY-1 was at Treasury Drugs (high-end chain) paying $38,000/yr , because the VA, where I worked as tech, offered me $29,000/yr as GS-9, and I had loans to repay. OH, YES, the Golden Age of Pharmacy!

I quickly managed to get into Home Infusion, that was paying bank, back then.
But even at $72,000/yr, more than hospital or retail, much more! well, thats
About $176,146.26 now

$72,000 in 1989 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $176,146.26 today, an increase of $104,146.26 over 34 years.

$72,000 in 1989 is worth $176,146.26 today - U.S. Inflation Calculater​

That's about how much I make now, after 37 years. So much for Golden Age.

All this long winded dialogue to dispel the myth about how good we had it. Yes, there was more opportunities, that's it.

Now, back on topic, being a bleeding heart liberal, I am for a modified loan forgiveness. Maybe, according to need and income. This would eliminate most of us. And even though I paid off my loans, and for my two sons college. And planning to pay for my daughter, with working two jobs. I do want to see loan forgiveness for the truly deserving. I am an immigrant, you guys don't realize how lucky you are, living in the USA. Peace Out!

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
In 1982, I started at a Private Pharmacy School. My grades and PCAT was not good enough for UK or UGA! My tuition was $1400/quarter, first year, and climbed every year. Ended up with about $32,000 in loans, private loans (not Fed) because my parents made too much money!
Well, I googled this:

$32,000 is

$32,000 in 1980 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $118,107.57 today, an increase of $86,107.57 over 43 years.

My First Job, after Pharm.D. and PGY-1 was at Treasury Drugs (high-end chain) paying $38,000/yr , because the VA, where I worked as tech, offered me $29,000/yr as GS-9, and I had loans to repay. OH, YES, the Golden Age of Pharmacy!

About $176,146.26 now

$72,000 in 1989 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $176,146.26 today, an increase of $104,146.26 over 34 years.

All this long winded dialogue to dispel the myth about how good we had it. Yes, there was more opportunities, that's it.

Now, back on topic, being a bleeding heart liberal, I am for a modified loan forgiveness. Maybe, according to need and income. This would eliminate most of us. And even though I paid off my loans, and for my two sons college. And planning to pay for my daughter, with working two jobs. I do want to see loan forgiveness for the truly deserving. I am an immigrant, you guys don't realize how lucky you are, living in the USA. Peace Out!
I was hoping you’d chime in :)

Well, I googled this:

$32,000 is

About $176,146.26 now

You never took the PCAT. I'm curious if you remember the old entrance exam for pharmacy and what you made for acceptance.

You never took the PCAT. I'm curious if you remember the old entrance exam for pharmacy and what you made for acceptance.
Hey Lord, was this a statement or a question? My Longterm memory is toast, but I do remember taking the PCAT, and not doing so well. Maybe I am mistaken!
Google is your friend!

AcronymPCAT
PurposeAdmissions to pharmacy colleges principally in the United States and Canada

Year started1974
Duration3 hours 25 minutes + Rest Break
Score / grade range200–600
LanguagesEnglish
FeeUS$210.00
Scores / grades used byPharmacy colleges principally in the

Hey Lord, was this a statement or a question? My Longterm memory is toast, but I do remember taking the PCAT, and not doing so well. Maybe I am mistaken!
Google is your friend!

AcronymPCAT
PurposeAdmissions to pharmacy colleges principally in the United States and Canada

Year started1974
Duration3 hours 25 minutes + Rest Break
Score / grade range200–600
LanguagesEnglish
FeeUS$210.00
Scores / grades used byPharmacy colleges principally in the
Mistyped. It was a question as if it were Mercer or UGA, they had set it as a practical during the era you went, I would be surprised if they required PCAT on top that.

Mistyped. It was a question as if it were Mercer or UGA, they had set it as a practical during the era you went, I would be surprised if they required PCAT on top that.
Hey Lord, you are correct, I meant to say my primary option, UK (where I went undergrad) required PCAT. So I took PCAT, my grades + PCAT, was not good enough for UK Pharmacy School, but acceptable for Mercer. UGA was a long shot, as out of state tuition was expensive. I was part of the first All-Pharm.D. class /program school in the South East, maybe anywhere outside of California. We graduated 110 Pharm.D. s in 1986, when UGA had about 10-15.

Another data point:

The tuition cost of attending UF online for a bachelor's degree program (in-state, living with parents) is ~5k per year. Out-of-state is like 18k per year.

UF Online offers bachelors in biology, computer science, and nursing among others.

There ARE extremely affordable and quality higher-ed options out there.

UF online master's programs are also quite affordable.

Last edited:
Someone needs to forgive this guy's loans!

• Wow
Someone needs to forgive this guy's loans!

The amazing thing is how consistently he is able to lose money. And not all at once, but a systematic, strategic. He should really be hired by a financial planner that would flip around every trade he was about to execute. It's hard being this consistent in an up market!

Everyone is mediocre, this guy shines at being awful.

Reactions: 2 users
The amazing thing is how consistently he is able to lose money. And not all at once, but a systematic, strategic. He should really be hired by a financial planner that would flip around every trade he was about to execute. It's hard being this consistent in an up market!

Everyone is mediocre, this guy shines at being awful.

If only they forgave my loans (retroactively) instead I would have spent it on VT and driven up stock prices across the board.