Another Navy GMO/UMO/FS thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freebird529

Reaction score
I know this topic has been covered ad nauseum, however I haven't seen a lot of detailed information from the last couple years. I am an incoming TY intern and understand I need to start applying in July, likely before getting to experience any of the operational rotations to decide what I'd like to do.

I hear the detailing process has changed for FS/UMO, so that it is no longer based on class rank. Does this mean there is zero input you have into your detail at this point?

I am most interested in green side, however I do understand the competitiveness of some of the choices. In order of preference of what I would like in an "ideal world":

1. Green side detail
2. Not california - would prefer east coast, then OCONUS before west coast.
3. "high speed"/interesting - Top choice would be UMO w/ MARSOC/ FORCE RECON, then marine air (rotary preferred). Lastly would be w/ a marine ground unit
4. I do take levothyroxine daily, don't know if that's a DQ for anything.

Just looking for honest opinions for people who have been in much longer than me. I understand that detailing is next to impossible to predict and likely my plans will be changed by the Navy anyways, but just trying to gather some initial info.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this topic has been covered ad nauseum,

So then search, find a relevant thread, and post there. No need to start another thread.

1. Green side detail

You can pick your job, or your location, rarely both. Be flexible.

3. "high speed"/interesting - Top choice would be UMO w/ MARSOC/ FORCE RECON, then marine air (rotary preferred). Lastly would be w/ a marine ground unit

As a general rule, the more 'high speed' something sounds (MARSOC, RECON, NSW), the less interesting it really is, especially from a medical officer's perspective. Deployments with these units vary to a great degree (I know plenty of UMO/FS that never deployed, sat around in a clinic for 3 years). Just curb your expectations a bit.

If your thyroid function is stable and you can carry a 6-month supply of synthroid, you should be fine. But don't quote me on this. I'm a surface dog, where a pulse is all that's needed. BTW the surface Navy deploys more and does way cooler things.

Reactions: 1 user
I know this topic has been covered ad nauseum, however I haven't seen a lot of detailed information from the last couple years. I am an incoming TY intern and understand I need to start applying in July, likely before getting to experience any of the operational rotations to decide what I'd like to do.

I hear the detailing process has changed for FS/UMO, so that it is no longer based on class rank. Does this mean there is zero input you have into your detail at this point?

I am most interested in green side, however I do understand the competitiveness of some of the choices. In order of preference of what I would like in an "ideal world":

1. Green side detail

Just looking for honest opinions for people who have been in much longer than me. I understand that detailing is next to impossible to predict and likely my plans will be changed by the Navy anyways, but just trying to gather some initial info.
A little more info from you might help others help you. Are you HPSP or USUHS or neither? Were you waivered for the levothyroxine and for what underlying condition (besides hypothyroidism?)

Members don't see this ad :)
A little more info from you might help others help you. Are you HPSP or USUHS or neither? Were you waivered for the levothyroxine and for what underlying condition (besides hypothyroidism?)
I was HPSP. Did not need a waiver for the levothyroxine, hypothyroid being one of the very few conditions that didn't require any waiver. Dosage has been stable for ~10 years.

So then search, find a relevant thread, and post there. No need to start another thread.

You can pick your job, or your location, rarely both. Be flexible.

As a general rule, the more 'high speed' something sounds (MARSOC, RECON, NSW), the less interesting it really is, especially from a medical officer's perspective. Deployments with these units vary to a great degree (I know plenty of UMO/FS that never deployed, sat around in a clinic for 3 years). Just curb your expectations a bit.

If your thyroid function is stable and you can carry a 6-month supply of synthroid, you should be fine. But don't quote me on this. I'm a surface dog, where a pulse is all that's needed. BTW the surface Navy deploys more and does way cooler things.

Good info, thanks! So you are currently a GMO? were your above reasons why you went with GMO and not FS/UMO?