another option

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priapismatic

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.luc.edu/depts/biology/mams.htm

1-year, course-work only, Master of Arts in Medical Sciences offered by the Biology Dept at Loyola.

Email: [email protected] or call (312) 915-8900

In addision to premedical advisement, if you have at least an undergrad 3.0 and achieve at least a 3.5 in the program and score at least a 28 on the MCAT, you are guaranteed an admissions interview at Loyola.

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, that's an option. Not a bad one. I would do that except that they require MCAT score 25+, which I don't have at this point...Still, Thanks! :thumbup:

Thanks for telling us about the program. Any graduates or people familiar with the success of the program? Is it more "useful" than a traditional post bac like Harvard extension's health careers program?

lynx said:
Yep, that's an option. Not a bad one. I would do that except that they require MCAT score 25+, which I don't have at this point...Still, Thanks! :thumbup:

I've done quite a bit of research on this program. Loyola-Stritch would be one of my dream schools, so the MAMS program is very appealing to me. I want to do a master's post-bacc program of some sort so I can strengthen my apps before I apply for the first time. I just thought I'd give you all some of the information that I found.

First the Bad Stuff: :(
The program is only 1 year, 24 graduate credit hours. That's a double-edged sword. While the relatively low courseload may make it easier to get good grades and provide more time to study for the MCAT (should you have to take it again), it may also be less efficacious in proving to the adcoms that you're ready for med school. Other special 1-year masters programs are usually 30-48+ credit hours, are taken with first year med school students (or at least thesis-master's and PhD students), and may even have research/lab experience integrated in the curriculum. Some examples of these special masters programs include Georgetown SMP, Finch, Drexel, and Boston U. These programs make it easier for adcoms to assess how well you can perform in med school. Also, Fall 2004 marks the first time this program has ever been offered. Therefore, they have no success rate. Not that it won't have some success, but you can't really evaluate how well this will help your med school applications. The website claims that Loyola's Pre-Health Professions Office has a 75% success rate. But that number probably comes from three things (1) the undergraduate premed students, (2) Loyola's post-bacc premed program, and (3) some of Loyola's masters in various science programs. That number is not from the MAMS itself.

Now the Good stuff: :)
Low credit hours could be very helpful in getting a near 4.0 graduate GPA. You should also have quite a lot of time to prepare for the MCAT. The classes themselves are very similar (in content) to first year med school courses (anatomy, physio, neuro, genetics, cell bio, biochem, etc). Getting the help of the Pre-Health Professions Office for recommendations and guidance should prove to be very beneficial. They also help you get internships and volunteer opportunities--sounds like they'll be there to support you through the glide year. The guaranteed interview at Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine with a 28 and a 3.5 gpa in the MAMS program is a definite plus, but I wouldn't think that you have a great shot of actually getting accepted if those are your actual numbers...And of course, Chicago is always a great time! :D

I hope that helps you guys considering this option. Good luck! :)