GenesToPharm

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I registered for my PCAT in mid-July, bought the Kaplan book and 3 Pearson practice tests, and I've studied almost daily ever since. 3 hours per day. I finished the Kaplan book in entirety, took notes from the important sections, and did ALL of the practice problems in each section, excluding a few of the Ochem chapters. I took each Pearson practice test as honestly as I could and with enforced timing, the score reports from Pearson had me scoring between 80-99th percentile. After all of this, I used an old Barron's book for some supplemental studying/reviewing, mainly for the practice problems. I took one of the Kaplan practice exams and bombed the practice exam which really worried me, but I stuck to my reviewing and focused on the sections in the practice tests that I did the worst on.

Here are my results:
Biological Processes - 85
Chemical Processes - 86
Critical Reading - 98
Quantitative Reasoning - 67
Composite - 91

The math section was, logistically, the hardest part about the PCAT. It is set up to make you rush and miss questions, and you will miss questions. At least I did. I felt prepared well enough for the types of questions asked, just not quick enough to finish 48 within 40 minutes. Regardless, I highly recommend the Kaplan book for a solid foundation. I would also study some biochem separate from Kaplan, knowing your amino acids and their chemistry will certainly help. I only did well in the Bio and Chem sections because I have my undergraduate in molec bio and I currently work in genetics.

I hope this helps anyone studying in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.