Another PCAT Thread - Honest Analysis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GenesToPharm

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I registered for my PCAT in mid-July, bought the Kaplan book and 3 Pearson practice tests, and I've studied almost daily ever since. 3 hours per day. I finished the Kaplan book in entirety, took notes from the important sections, and did ALL of the practice problems in each section, excluding a few of the Ochem chapters. I took each Pearson practice test as honestly as I could and with enforced timing, the score reports from Pearson had me scoring between 80-99th percentile. After all of this, I used an old Barron's book for some supplemental studying/reviewing, mainly for the practice problems. I took one of the Kaplan practice exams and bombed the practice exam which really worried me, but I stuck to my reviewing and focused on the sections in the practice tests that I did the worst on.

Here are my results:
Biological Processes - 85
Chemical Processes - 86
Critical Reading - 98
Quantitative Reasoning - 67
Composite - 91

The math section was, logistically, the hardest part about the PCAT. It is set up to make you rush and miss questions, and you will miss questions. At least I did. I felt prepared well enough for the types of questions asked, just not quick enough to finish 48 within 40 minutes. Regardless, I highly recommend the Kaplan book for a solid foundation. I would also study some biochem separate from Kaplan, knowing your amino acids and their chemistry will certainly help. I only did well in the Bio and Chem sections because I have my undergraduate in molec bio and I currently work in genetics.

I hope this helps anyone studying in the future.